Tuesday, May 24, 2016

3 Awful Ways To Trim Natural Hair

I can't even count the times that my hair was butchered at a salon. You go in asking for a trim and come out with INCHES missing or you ask for a blunt cut and come out with layers. I've made so many mistakes when it comes to trusting that a stylist knows what I want, which is why I researched DIY techniques to trim my hair. But I was searching, I stumbled upon 3 of the most AWFUL terrible I-can't-believe-they-are-serious ways to trim/cut curly hair.


The Tunnel Cut

The premise of this cutting technique is to reduce the bulk your curls without affecting curl formation no matter the curl type. The stylist cuts diagonal "tunnels" into the sides of the hair at the root.

An actual, supposedly trained stylist did this. *hangs head* This atrocity is the absolute worse natural hair trimming technique that I've ever seen. I actually wanted to cry for her. I understand that BIG hair ain't for everyone but this cut CANNOT be the solution. I mean, can you even imagine what her hair will look like as it grows out?




The Razor Cut

Razor cuts thin out your ends and supposedly prevent that heave mushroom shape as your hair grows out.

If you're a curly girl that only wears straight hair, then the razor cut pixie look can be a totally chic look. However, when you wear your hair curly, don't be surprised if your ends look thin and limp or if your curls are frizz and piece-y. When you add the fact that most curlies have more than one curl pattern, razor cuts lack styling versatility.

The Straighten First Insist

In this method, a stylist insists on straightening your hair before cutting or trimming in order to "more accurately cut.

I've debated this technique so many times that it makes my head hurt. The truth of the matter is that you don't need to straighten your hair just to trim it. In fact, you can do your hair more harm than good when excessive heat and high manipulation are involved. Because I'm still learning my curl pattern, I want to learn ways to work with my curl instead of against it---and that includes how I trim it. Here are 5 ways that you can trim your hair without using heat.

What's the worse method or technique that you've seen to trim your hair?

Besitos!
KLP


8 comments:

  1. Those first two methods....Lord. Yes awful. The last one I wouldn't call it awful. Unnecessary maybe? For those who wear their hair curly most of the time, it doesn't make sense to subject the hair to potential damage from heat.

    btw, i haven't had a real trim in a looooooong time. I'm going to hit up a Devachaun Salon here in NY soon. Probably in the fall for a trim though. I hate those layered cuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh---I'm so excited for you! All of the pictures of Deva cuts that I've seen are GLORIOUS!!!

      Delete
  2. The tunnel cut made me SO friggin upset!!!!! He could have gotten those same results by just finger coiling the hair. I canNOT believe anyone - let alone an alleged expert - would do this crap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL!!!!!!!!!!

      My mouth dropped WIDE open when he started to cut. Like seriously...You could get the same results by using gel and a diffuser!

      Delete
  3. I ve been through the razor cut:D When I was natural in my early 20's. I have very thick hair and I had A LOT of hair. Don't think I had cut it much between the age of 10 and 20. I went in with the hope of getting rid of some volume and get some shape to it all. I paid a fortune and the stylist, washed it, comb it, conditioned and whats not, and then waved a bit with the razors on my ends. I swear, there was no difference. I couldn't see any shape or reduction of volume. Couldn't believe I paid for nothing. Haven't been to a stylist since :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is a perfect example of why my trust for stylists is only about this <__> big. LOL!

      I remember watching my roommate (type 2 curls maybe?) razor her hair in our dormroom. It was like watching Edward Scissorhands. Hair was flying everywhere. When she was done...I lie to you not---her hair looked terrible and I was speechless.

      10 years later and the razor cut is still NOT WINNING. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I could have just cried for her, my mouth was literally open in shock. No no for the 1st two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thought that this was CRAZY!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!