Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Caruso Steam Rollers on Natural Hair | The #WashDayExperience

In honor of today's #WashDayExprience theme, I took a break from attempting to perfect my wash and go technique so that I could throw my hair up in some big ol voluminous curls.



Here's what I used:

Jessicurl and Shea Moisture www.savingourstrands.com


Deep Condition- DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here) + Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here) + Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Clay Rinse- How I get my curls to POP!
Leave-Ins- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Why EVCO is AMAZING here) + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter

And here's how I did it:

I started my spritzing the ends of my hair with my DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here). Then I slathered my hair in Jessicurl Deep Treatment (review here). My hair was super dry so I sealed in the conditioner with a little Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (here's the kind that I use $) then left it in overnight.




RELATED: Why I Deep Condition Overnight

The next morning, I hopped in the shower, rinsed the conditioner section by section then applied my Clay Rinse with a narrow tip applicator bottle. I still adore how this treatment makes my curls perfectly springy, defined, and moisturized. Out of the shower, I t-shirt dried for a couple of minutes then applied little more Extra Virgin Coconut Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) as my leave ins. Then I faux banded my hair to stretch it a little while it dried.

RELATED: How To Stretch Natural Hair Without Heat


I thought about doing bantu knots, but then decided to try an oldie but goodie: CARUSO STEAM ROLLERS!! It's been forever since I rocked a set of big fluffy steam curls so I wasn't sure what to expect.

RELATED: How To Use Caruso Steam Rollers on Natural Hair

I set my hair on the rollers using a little Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie as my styler/holding product. I'm pretty shocked that in 3 years, I haven't done an official review on this stuff. Just know that it's amazing and EVER so perfect for setting perm rods, bantu knots, and twist outs. Plus the scent is to. die. for.



I let my rollers air dry for about 30 minutes then sat under the dryer for another 15 minutes just to make sure that they were dry. For my chicas with super thick hair---you know the struggle to get any kind of roller set dry in a decent amount of time.

I'd forgotten how much I love how steam roller curls look on me! My hair is uber moisturized and has tons of volume. The next day it rained so I wore it up in the high puff  + bangs situation.



How was your #washdayexperience? What's your favorite way to get big voluminous curls? Share all the dets below!

Besitos!
KLP




22 comments:

  1. Your hair looks beautiful! Do those rollers count as using direct heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiki! Steam rollers are not direct heat. The core of the roller is warmed up by steam then you roll your hair around the roller. In my opinion it's the equivalence of setting your hair on---say perm rods---then sitting under a steamer.

      Delete
    2. That sounds cool! I'ma put them on my wish list lol

      Delete
  2. Your curly dos are always to die for KLP. Thank you for the review on the curl enhancing smoothie, I've been trying to choose on which Shea Moisture styling product to buy for my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curl enhancing smoothie is awesome. Just remember to layer it with a moisturizer. It's definitely not an all in one product for my hair.

      Delete
  3. Wow your curls are so gorgeous, your hair has tons of volume and I absolutely adore your high puff and bang. I also love the smell of the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Line.

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those curls though.....your hair looks so soft and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! Then the rain completely ruined it. My curls never win in 200% humidity. LOL!

      Delete
  5. I swear you look younger every post!! Those curls look really soft too.

    Those rollers sound very tempting but I refuse to buy another thing ! LOL Actually, I want a steamer that I can sit under. I have the Q-Redew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Thanks chica! I've always wanted to try a steamer---but just like you---I refuse to buy another thing!

      Delete
  6. I am so getting those steam rollers as my one year transitioning presents and then I'm going to copy all your cool ,funky and stylish looks. Your hair is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are totally worth it! Just be sure to pick up an extra order of the small rollers. I purchased mine from Amazon.com. The small rollers make the PERFECT curls!

      Delete
  7. Your curls look very soft and fluffy. I totally want to touch them. I haven't used my Caruso set in so long. I hope it isn't clogged from lack of use.

    Jay | RelaxedThairapy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time that I've used my steam rollers in at least 6 months and they worked perfectly. So don't worry! Just go for it! LOL.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  8. Insert all the heart eyes!!!! I LOVE your curls! They look incredibly soft and moisturized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen!! They were super soft---even after I got drenched in the rain. LOL!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!