Wednesday, December 24, 2014

How To Flat Iron (Transitioning, Relaxed, or Natural Hair) | #WashDayExperience


I can't believe that it's been 6 months since the last time that I straightened my hair! I'm utterly flabbergasted. Once a upon a time, I used to flat iron daily---then I cut back to weekly---now I'm down to three times a year. I think that it's safe to say that my hair is benefiting from much less direct heat but I'm actually excited for the change!



Straightening my hair is a tedious process. So, I have a love/annoyed relationship with my straight hair. Detangling is most of the annoyance. I ditched my combs for finger detangling this year, so I find that when it's time to straighten, I have to combat tons of tiny single strand knots. I work slowly---probably toooooo slowly trying to be gentle and use a little less manipulation. It's definitely a 2-3 hour labor of love. Here's how I straighten my hair:



  1. Pre-shampoo- I started by fully detangling using my fingers and slathering each section with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner. Pre-shampooing with conditioner elongates my curly roots which makes everything else on wash day easier.
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. I clarified with KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo to remove build up and then once more shampoo with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo to get my hair squeaky clean. Clean hair = light bouncy straightened hair.
  3. Extreme Deep Condition- Next, I deep conditioned with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner then put my hair into 6 loose bantu knots, covered with a plastic cap and let it sit for a few hours. In hindsight, I should have sat under my hooded dryer or heat cap to help the conditioner penetrate more effectively.
  4. Leave ins- After I fully rinsed each section, I wrapped my hair in a cotton t-shirt to remove some of the water. Then I applied a little It's 10 Miracle Leave In then Chi Silk Infusion. Then I finished by cool air tension drying with my Solia Blower.
  5. Flat iron- I coupled my Ferrum Iron with a Sedu Carbon Flat Iron Comb to do the comb and chase method as I flat ironed my hair in 1/4' sections. Two passes were enough to get my hair smooth and super straight. But it still took forever to do.


The Results:
My hair has body and is soooo soft. I've never been able to say either in the past when I was flat ironing weekly.It's actually voluminous. And I LOVE IT! My bangs are still thriving hoovering between BSL and MBL. By my ends definitely took a hit from my detangling debacle a few months ago. This straightening session was totally bitter sweet.



I gave myself about an inch trim as I flat ironed and slightly rolled the flat iron around the ends for my feathered wavy Christmas Eve look. I promise length check pictures are coming down the pipeline. But now---it's time for me to go sing happy birthday to Jesus, celebrate, and enjoy my minions/hubby!

Merry Christmas chicas!



28 comments:

  1. Look at that volume! Great results! I love how simple your regimen is to straighten your hair. Enjoy your family! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that my regimen is simpler for straight hair than it is for any other style! Weird right?

      Delete
  2. Lool yesss! That hand looked like a church wave! Lol. I always get scared of flat ironing because I'm afraid it won't revert but you and Just Grow Already seem to have it pat! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh...I'm dead from laughing girl! You're so crazy!

      I keep the temp as low as possible + using the comb/chase method helps me to only make one or two passes on each section. I have to remind myself that my hair just won't get bone straight after flat ironing the way that it did when I was completely relaxed.

      Delete
  3. I love the hair! Merry Christmas, KLP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline! Same to you and your beautiful family!

      Delete
  4. Loving the volume and thickness girly! The curls are fab as well :)

    hairlengthreality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous thickness, Merry Christmas KLP! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing flat iron results, KLP! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly a labor of love girl...You have no idea how many times I was ready to quit! LOL. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas KLP!! Your hair looks gorg!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely hair KLP! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! For sure a labor of love! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silky and bouncy, love it! Your hair is gorge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the volume!!!!
    Looks amazing!
    Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt! My bone straight relaxed hair NEVER had half of this volume girl!

      Delete
  12. It looks suuuper bouncy! KLP with straight hair is such a different look for us. Loves either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a double take in the mirror the other day. It feels so weird to see myself with straight hair! I'm just not used to it anymore

      Delete
  13. You're practically glowing in these pics, wow! Your hair looks soo bouncy and I love the waves. Hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lam! My skin usually sucks in the winter, but I think that I snapped this pictures in really good light! Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  14. I tried the comb chase method the other day and the jury is still out. While my hair got straighter on one pass, I'm unsure if I like the extra manipulation. Your hair looks great....super bouncy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely feel you about the manipulation girl! Running a fine tooth comb through my hair makes me cringe too. But considering that I have the same amount of hair loss on a flat iron day as I do on a low manipulation style day coupled with the fact that I don't flat iron often (only 3 times this year), I think that my hair will survive. (Hopefully! LOL) Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!