Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Length Check


After last wash day's marathon detangling session, I flirted with the idea of cutting my hair into a sexy blunt long-bob. That's how bad it was, y'all. I also forgot to mention that about 2 weeks ago, I got the brilliant idea to dust my hair whilst I was sectioning off for my twist out. The intent was to take off no more than 1/4" but I managed to clip 3/4" - 1" off of one section. Smh.The twist out was banging but I'm so not winning in the hair department right now! So, when I went to trim my ends, I attempted to even everything out. I'm not sure how much I snipped, but I'm relatively content with the results. 

Whilst flat ironing, I decided that I wasn't going to place any more length expectations on my journey. It's time for me to really put emphasis on health over length! If I'm stuck in BSL/MBL purgatory for life but have sexy blunt ends---I'll be a happy lamb! Last year, I gave up on using direct heat frequently and I'm happy to say that I've totally mastered the air dry. I went 20 weeks without using direct heat. Wow! That feels so good to say! Just a year ago, I was flat ironing at least once a week! *it's officially confetti time* And I'm actually surprised that how well my ends are holding up since my last relaxer in July. Usually by now, I would be experiencing complete and utter chaos but my hair feels so soft and my bangs are arm-pit length. 


Sometimes, I feel like I have so many shoulda, coulda, woulda moments with my hair. If I would have done this, if I hadn't done that, etc etc. Then I remember what progress is really about: a forward or onward movement for gradual betterment. This hair journey isn't a race nor will it ever be perfect. As long as I am learning from yesterday to make today better, then there is progress. 

Besitos!
KLP

35 comments:

  1. Great progress! Your hair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to this 'I decided that I wasn't going to place any more length expectations on my journey' I feel the exact same way. Great progress and well done on 20wks without heat

    www.myeverydatreats.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong Maureen---I love the length of my hair and I'm super proud because this just didn't happen overnight. But, I really thought that I would make MBL by now and I most certainly could have but I'd have yucky ends. So, I guess that my love for blunt ends trumps the desire for length right now.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. stunning progress.
    looks very long and healthy.

    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. your hair looks so great KLP! looks like you have retained so much length even after the trim :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. KLP, why is it labeled "Imperfect Progress?" It looks great to me! And it appears you are MBL! Go on and claim it, girl! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm most certainly not confident enough to call this length MBL lol! Thanks for the love chica!

      Delete
  6. Your hair looks beautiful~great progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your progress! I'm in the same space as you with the health over length. With good health, length will come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Progress! :) Good job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I was one of those chicas who's hair just grows and grows but they're never intentional about their hair care practices. LMAO!

      Delete
  9. Great progress! Glad I'm not the only one who has moments of frustration on this hair journey!

    Courtnea of Finally Growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Court---trust and believe that you are DEFINITELY not the only one who gets frustrated. But hey---as long as there is some kind of silver lining---I'm throwing confetti!

      Now...who's gonna clean up all this mess? Ha-ha!

      Delete
  10. Your hair looks great! I get how you feel about length expectations, I am in that place now too, but health over length! I think few length checks are the best, less expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to length check every other month---now it's 2 or 3 times a year. I think that I like it better this way!

      Delete
  11. Yaaay KLP! No regrets! The changes you've made aren't easy & you have made great progress! Not doing a length check recently made me say the same thing to myself - I'll just focus on health, that's what's best anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto chica! Plus---ain't no body got time to be flat ironing for 2 hours. I still can't believe that I used to do that every week!

      Delete
  12. Your progress is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great progress and look at that beautiful shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced that shine is from the Chi and extreme deep conditioning.

      Delete
  14. Health before length all the way!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!