Wednesday, December 17, 2014

[Hairstyle] Steam Roller Curls | #WashDayExperience




I haven't had a chance to respond to each one of your kind words of encouragement and intercessory prayers for my family yet---but I will. I'm so grateful for you guys! Just a quick update--my grandfather's open heart surgery last week was successful. He's recovering well and his spirit is brighter than a star. I can't tell you how much it humbles me to see your out pour of positivity. I've said it hundred times---but I'll say it again. Y'ALL ROCK!

Ugh...I wish that I would have gotten more pics of these curls!

With all that said---I'm combining two weeks of #washdayexperience into one post. Because---well---I ended up styling my hair the same exact way. The first week, I did a protein treatment with Nexxus Emergencee then rocked bouncy curls for a night out on the town with my hubby. The next week, because I loved the curls so much...I did it again using the products found here!



I haven't done a hard protein treatment on my hair since *insert gasp* September. <hangs head> In my defense, I've been protein layering using Joico K-Pak at least twice a month. Protein layering is amazing, I definitely think that it's why I still have relaxed ends on my head, but I really needed a full protein treatment to whip my hair back in shape. Here's how I did it:


  1. Pre-shampoo- I fully detangled and slathered my hair in Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner. I let it sit for about an hour. I need to do this more often--because omgosh my hair was so soft!
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. I needed a good clarifying so I shampooed once with KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo and then once more with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Shampoo.
  3. Protein Treatment- with Nexxus Emergencee; the world's easiest to apply protein treatment. I let it air dry for an hour or so while I did chores.
  4. Extreme Deep Condition- Next, I stood under the spray of my shower for about 5 minutes to rinse the Emergencee completely. I deep conditioned with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioner on the length of my hair. Then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and let sit for about 2 hours. 
  5. Air Dried- I added a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  6. Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize and a dab of hair butter  to seal, then I blew out my roots with cold air to stretch it and set on small Caruso Steam rollers for about 30 minutes.


The Results:
Why I Used A Clarifying Shampoo- 
My hair hates shampoo. I say it a lot. I mean every word. But it doesn't mean that there aren't times when product builds up on my strands. I shampoo once a month and I clarify with every hard protein treatment. 



Why I Used A Hard Protein Treatment- 
My hair loves protein. I use protein laced conditioners regularly during my entire hhj. My hair behaves better with a little extra protein in it's life. I also noticed a little more breakage, a little less moisture retention, and a lot more tangles in my hair over the last 2-3 weeks. That's my hair's way of telling me that it was time for a root to tip intervention. 


Why I Used Steam rollers-
My hubby and I had an event to attend. I knew that I wouldn't have enough time for any of the usual suspects- bantu knots, a perm rod set, or straightening---so my steam rollers got another go. Can I just talk about how much I love these things again? One of the BEST investments that I made for my hair in 2014 for sure. 


Speaking of Best of 2014, can you believe that in 2 weeks 2015 will be in full swing?!? Where did the time go y'all! Before I devise my evil fleek master plan for total hair domination---or something like that---I'll be sharing my Best of 2014: Hits & Misses.  I'd love to have you join me! You'll be able to add your links starting next week! (No clue what this is? Check out our 2013 collection of Hits & Misses here. Change the date and you got the same thing...lol

Oh yeah---and I think that I'm ready to straighten this mess next week for Christmas. Fingers crossed that my ends aren't as bad as I think they are!

How was your washdayexperience? Share the dets below. 

Besitos!
KLP 



27 comments:

  1. Love these steam curls!
    I am also trying to decide whether or not I will straighten. My hair is a mess right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the process of straightening but I always love the results. Plus...this chica is in dire need of a trim! Thanks for stopping by boo!

      Delete
  2. I just love those curls, KLP! You've also got me eager to try the Hello Hydration conditioner. I hearing great things about it. Darn it, I sure don't need any more products! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That conditioner is definitely a winner in my book. I use it all the time to co-wash but I haven't used it in a while to pre-poo. The best part---you can find it almost anywhere for under $5!

      Delete
  3. Ooh those juicy yummy curls! Steam curlers for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful curls as usual! You are a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pro? Never that girl! I'm just trying to make it through! LOL

      Delete
  5. Your hair is so bouncy and gorgeous! I love it! I think that's the ONLY thing I miss about transitioning. I'm just too stubborn and lazy to fight with two textures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh...figuring how to keep all the textures in my hair happy has been a serious challenge. There are some days when I'm like---ugh---I need a break from taming this beast! Ha-ha! How long did you transition?

      Delete
  6. As always love your curls, how long do they last?
    Good luck on your straightening session if you choose to go through with it, hope it doesn't take as long as the last time you straightened it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that it will take 2-3 hours again to get this stuff straight again. It's crazy because when I straighten other people's hair it takes 30-45 minutes! I'm obviously punking myself!

      Because I rarely keep my hair out or even down these days (I'm in the midst of training to run a half-marathon) I really don't know how long the curls would last undisturbed. The good news is that they take 15 minutes to install and 30 minutes to set. You can speed up the setting time by blasting the rollers with a blower for about 5 minutes. So if you had to re-curl your hair---it would be super easy. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your grandfather is doing okay KLP. Your hair looks so awesome in those shots, always love your curls x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to hear that your grandfather is doing well. Your hair is so gorgeous~love the curls! I really need to pull out my box of caruso steam rollers (had them for at least 3 yrs and never used them). I'm so ashamed lol. You make me want to really give it a try though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much chica! I appreciate you!

      You should definitely whip out your steam rollers for Christmas! I use the smallest roller for these bantu knot look alike curls but I love the big rollers for va-va-voom volume!

      Delete
  9. Looking good & glad grandfather is doing well!!! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your calls leave me in awe each time KLP. I can't wait to see your straightening results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually starting to get excited about having straight hair for a couple of days. I can't say that I missed it---but I can say that I'm welcoming the change. Even if it's just for a few days.

      Delete
  11. So of course your curls are amazing! I'm so excited to see your hair straight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yalanda! The more that I think about it, I;m excited for a change too!

      Delete
  12. Your curls always look for lovely and lush. I can't wait till I can try any form of curl tools!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hair is definitely long enough for a perm rod or even a bantu knot set!

      Delete
  13. The Nexxus Protein treatment is next on my list to try, the Aphogee is just so darn sticky
    www.ginamariehair.net

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!