Wednesday, February 17, 2016

[Beauty] My Wash Day Corner


My wash day corner is terribly simple. It's composed of a stand up hair dryer, a comfy chair, and a storage cart for my hair tools and products.

I've always wanted a organized space to perform my wash day rituals. A space that's intentional, encompassing and peaceful.

Here's how I went from product junkie to conservative chica:

Related: 5 Reasons Why Being A Product Junkie Is Ruining Your Hair

A   M I N I M A L I S T   A P P R O A C H   T O   S T O R A G E   &  O R G A N I Z A T I O N

First, I decided on a location. A location that was convenient and useful. My nook quite small, measuring 2.5 ft x 5 ft but it fits everything that I need and the other side of this wall is our master bathroom.
 
Next, I had to purge my product stash of excess---several times. Which required me to be very honest about my hair care needs. Ironically, this is something that my mother used to force me to do when my space got out of control. She'd say: "If you don't have a place for it then you don't need it." Because I was working with a small space, I knew that I could only keep essentials. I divided my products into 3 categories:

Love
Donate
Re-purpose

For example, I rarely shampoo my hair. Therefore, I didn't need 5-6 bottles of shampoo. I kept my two favorites. The unused bottles, I donated to our homeless shelter. The opened (and potentially expired) shampoos, I use as bubble soap when the minions and I play outside. #zerowaste I hope to scale my products even further over the next few months.

Related: My Minimalist Natural Hair Regimen

The one item that I had to replace was my dryer. I've had this table top hard bonnet dryer for about 6 years. It still works well, but it's not convenient and its extremely loud. Because I mostly stretch my hair with curlformers, I needed a dryer that could get the job done efficiently and effectively. I gave my old dryer to my sister-in-law then invested in this standing rolling dryer. I also purchased the warranty, so if anything goes wrong---back to the store it goes!

How do you store your wash day products? What was your #washdayexperience like this week?

Besitos!
KLP



18 comments:

  1. You have the cutest salon setup, its very simple and super organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your minimalist approach. The corner looks warm and welcoming, its sort of you "me time corner".

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASSSSSS! That's what I told my husband as I was setting everything up! This is my "me time nook"!!!

      Delete
  3. My hair product is well organised in the bottom shelf of my wardrobe...I like your hair corner.

    www.lisasjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh!!! That's a good idea too chica! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. very peaceful space. I want a Huetiful steamer but I have a Q Redew and don't want to spend the money for another steamer :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mini salon KLP! I really want to get a small shelf to place my hair products, coz right now they are in my cupboard and have overflowed to the guest room cupboard!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep getting questions about my storage system and where I bought everything so I'll probably do a post to share the info!

      Delete
  6. Awww I love you're corner KLP! I need something like this but don't have the space x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had to use my space wisely. #1 The hubster didn't want our bedroom to be "girly" and #2 I didn't want my #washdayexperience space to take over the entire room! I only have the basics hopefully my inspiring minimalist perceptive will keep it neat. Pray for me! LOL

      Delete
  7. Great post. Something about a place for hair related shanagins gives me happy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!