Tuesday, February 23, 2016

5 Ways To Increase Shine In Natural Hair

www.savingourstrands.com

The science just isn't on our side. Curly hair isn't naturally shiny. Our curly strands just don't reflect light as easily as straighter hair.

*womp womp*

But that doesn't mean that your curls can't have a gorgeous glowing sheen--it will just take a teeny bit more effort! Here's 5 ways to get glossier hair in every step of your #washdayexperience regimen:

www.savingourstrands.com

P R E - S H A M P O O   T R E A T M E N T

Before you hop in the shower, try an oil rinse. To apply the rinse to my scalp, I use a narrow tip applicator bottle (Like this one of these) then let it sit for a few minutes and rinse in shower. My favorite oil rinse has been this amazeball DIY Green Tea Infused Hair Oil.


www.savingourstrands.com

P R E - C O N D I T I O N I N G

After you've cleansed your hair but before your deep conditioning session try a Clay mask. I discovered clay masks about a year ago (my super simple recipe is here) and they've made their way into my weekly routine. Clay masks are amazingness in a jar and the shine that your hair has afterwards is unparalleled. Masks are a little labor intensive so if you're pressed for time, try this Quick & Easy Clay Rinse. You'll still get all of the flossy shine!

www.savingourstrands.com

D U R I N G   C O N D I T I O N I N G

I've made a habit of sealing my deep conditioner with oil. Simply work the conditioner through your curls, then apply a little oil to your ends. Cover with a plastic cap then sit under your hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes (or Deep Condition Overnight). This technique deeply moisturizes, softens your hair, and once rinsed gives your hair an incredible shine! My oil of choice is usually Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.


www.savingourstrands.com

D A I L Y

I've found that keeping my hair moisturized on a daily basis is the best way to increase my healthy looking shine. Which is why I'm in lust with my DIY Moisturizer. The recipe's super nourishing ingredients like Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, and vitamin e oil keep my ends from drying out. My curls don't frizz and they stay well defined.

How do you get your hair glossy?

Besitos!
KLP

12 comments:

  1. Prepooing with coconut oil certainly helps with shine. I like your methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know when last did I pre-poo I must do it this washday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for a good pre-shampoo! I can't even remember the last time that I didn't do one!

      Delete
  3. Using flaxseed gel gave me the best shine I've eeever had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to try flaxseed gel. Did you DIY or buy?

      Delete
    2. DIY - so easy to make, but make sure you get the seeds and not the meal, because trying to squeeze the goop out when it's meal is so hard. I think I used it for curlformers and I was actually so shocked.

      Delete
    3. Hmm...

      *Adds DIY flaxseed gel to her wish list*

      I'm def interested in trying this!

      Delete
  4. Is that your hair in the first pic? Girl you have gorgeous texture! This is one of my biggest gripes with my natural hair. I may go back to doing clear rinses on my hair.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!