Wednesday, February 10, 2016

[Tutorial] Flat Twist Bun for Natural Hair | The #WashDayExperience



My Fishtail Banana Clip updo from last week lasted for about 48 hours before it started to look raggedy. (Note to self: try not to sweat so dang much!)



My hair ended up in a high bun (like this one) until today's #washdayexperience.



Here's what I used:

Pre-shampoo- DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here) + Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner  (review here)
Clay Rinse- Here's the dets on my recipe
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here)
Leave-Ins- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Why EVCO is AMAZING here) + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter (tutorial here)

And here's how I did it:

I started my spritzing the ends of my hair with my DIY Moisturizing Mist (tutorial here). Then I slathered my hair in Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. If you want a co-washing/pre-shampoo/tangle melting conditioner/EVERYTHING in a bottle---then Hello Hydration is soooo for you! (You can read my full review here)





Related: How I got these curls to POP!

I hopped in the shower, rinsed the conditioner section by section then applied my Clay Rinse with a narrow tip applicator bottle. I'm start to like clay rinsing better than clay masks because its just too cold to be doing extra shower hopping. Next, I deep conditioned with my all time fave conditioner Jessicurl Deep Treatment Conditioner (review here), coated my ends in Extra Virgin Coconut oil (here's the kind that I use $) to seal in the conditioner and plopped under my hooded dryer for about an hour.

RELATED: Why I'm in love with the Coco (Coconut Oil of course!) 



 I t-shirt dried for about 10 minutes then installed my beloved Curlformers using a little more Extra Virgin Coconut Oil + Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner (why I love this stuff here) + DIY Hair Butter (how to make your own Hair Butter here) as my leave ins.



I'm crazy excited to report that it only takes me 30 minutes to install my curlformers this time! #woot It still takes about an hour to dry and occasionally I have that one curl that just can't get right. Last year, I didn't use my hooded dryer at all---it literally had dust on it. But this year, I find myself using it every wash day. It pains me to say it but I might have to invest in a new one soon. I've had this table top hard bonnet dryer for about 6 years and it gets louder and louder each week. *le sigh* bye bye dollars. It was nice knowin ya...



Anywhos, I finger combed out my curls, made two flat twists then pinned them into a bun. This style is deceptively easy. Here's how I did it:


  1. Begin with stretched hair (I stretched my hair using Curlformers.) 
  2. Make a heavy side part.
  3. Begin your flat twist at your bangs
  4. Work the twist around to the back of your head.
  5. Double strand twist the ends. (You might need a hair tie if your hair unravels.)
  6. Begin your second flat twist on the opposite side.
  7. Double strand twist the ends. (Again, you might need a hair tie if your hair unravels)
  8. Secure the left twist just above your right ear with a hair pin.
  9. Then secure the right twist by tucking it into the left side with a hair pin.
  10. Use as many hair pins as you need to secure and shape the "bun" portion of the look. 
Optional: Polish the look by smoothing your edges with little edge control. I used Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste.


How did you style your hair this week? Anyone else struggling to keep their tresses moisturized? Share the dets with the rest of our healthy hair tribe below!



22 comments:

  1. WOW!! those curls were so shiny and juicy looking! Love the flat twist bun... but love the curls more :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love the curls more too! I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair! Which is why it had to go up... *le sigh*

      Delete
  2. you are a true superstar, especially when it comes to creating those fabulous hairstyles. PS. I love your clay mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! That clay rinse is the truth! Totally a staple in my regimen now!

      Delete
  3. That bun is everything I ever dreamed of. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can totally pull off this *faux* bun too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. You make styling natural hair look so easy 😩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This style was suuupppeeerrr easy. I wasn't even sure that it needed a tutorial because of it's simplicity!

      Delete
  5. Your hair is purrrfect! #hairenvy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this hairstyle!!! I've been rocking something pretty similar this week but I didn't quite put as much effort into it as you did LOL. Looks fabulous and I'm in need of a heated dryer myself, I'll be waiting to see which one you choose ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous curls from those curlformers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shine on your curls is lovely! I like how you are fully committed to your curlformers KLP :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I find something that works---I stick to it like glue until it doesn't! LOL.

      Delete
  9. Ok you're about to make me dust off the Curl formers and give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT!!! IDK why I slept on curlformers for so long! They're definitely a worthwhile investment!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I am loving this flat twist. I'm definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!