Tuesday, March 08, 2016

5 Steps To Detangle Your Natural Hair Faster


Detangling your hair doesn't mean ripping it out, spending hours haunched over in the shower or having to cut out huge knots. I noticed that the better I get at detangling my hair, the better my curls clump, the easier it is to style, and the better products seem to absorb into my curls. Here are my steps for detangling my crazy thick curls:


P R E - W A S H

I've found that detangling before I wash is the best way to identify and remove tangles before they turn into large knots. Detangling before I wash makes my wash day faster and gives me less work to do in the shower. 


S L I G H T L Y   D A M P

I start my spritzing my ends with this DIY Moisturizer. It only has 4 ingredients and it works like a charm to re-hydrate and soften up my curls. At this stage---you're not gonna want to completely saturate your hair; especially if you have super dense curls because they will just shrink up on you. (Side note: A plain ole mist of water will do the trick too.)

Related: The BEST Moisturizer for Natural Hair (and it's cheap too!)

S M A L L   S E C T I O N S

Gently divide your hair into several sections. I usually start with 8; 4 in the front of my hair and 4 in the back. Then I further divide these sections into 2 parts then apply a little conditioner to my ends before using my fingers to detangle.


F I N G E R S   O N L Y

Your fingers are the best tools for detangling your hair. You can feel for knots and unravel them inside of ripping them out. Your hands will create less friction  and it gives you the opportunity to really get to know where your hair tangles the most. I've found most of my tangles at the ends of my hair vs the roots and the middle of my head is usually more tangled than the back or the front. This reminds me to keep that section of my hair better moisturized between washes.

My method is pretty straight forward: I take the section, stretch it out with my fingers and rake downwards to remove shed hair. If I encounter a tangle, I isolate it and pick it apart. For those pesky single strand knots---I just grab my scissors. Ain't nobody got time for that!

While it's basically impossible to eliminate single strand knots, I have noticed that I have less knots, tangles and splits now that I'm sticking to my minimalist hair regimen.

Oh and if you just have to use a tool--try this amazing seamless comb.

Related: Detangling Comb From The GAWDS!

K E E P   S T R E T C H E D

After you've detangled each section twist, braid or bun the section to keep it stretched and tangle free.



What are your secrets for detangling your hair?

Besitos!
KLP

8 comments:

  1. I have come to enjoy my TWA because detangling sessions are a walk in a park, lol.


    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am with Lebogang on TWA and detangling! Your strands look super juicy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! I'm finding that the better that I detangle, the better that my curls look!

      Delete
  3. Love this! It's great to know that I'm not the only one using the pre-detangle method. My hair is extremely curly. There's no way I can wash my hair without getting the tangles out first, no way! My method is very similar to yours. It takes longer, but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious of those that can just hop in the shower without pre-detangling!

      Delete
  4. This one is good. Keep up the good work I also visit here: and I get lot of information. take down remover detangler for matted tangled hair dreadlocks

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!