Wednesday, July 09, 2014

[Hairstyle] Sleek Smooth Flat Ironed Hair | The #WashDayExperience



It look me 3 hours to straight my hair. THREE hours. *hangs head* That doesn't include washing or detangling time. That is literally 3 hours with the flat iron. After I got about a quarter of it done, I seriously considered washing it again and calling it a day. Ha-ha! But I know that I owe you guys some sleek and smooth hair so I preserved on. 


  1. Pre-shampoo- I lightly detangled and slathered my hair in extra virgin coconut oil.
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the oil completely. I combined about 1/2 oz of Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo with 4 oz of water in a narrow tip applicator bottle and applied to my roots only. I let the runoff cleanse my ends.
  3. Extreme Deep Condition- Then I applied Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm from root to tip, covered with a plastic cap and left it in overnight.
  4. Smoothing Treatment- I rinsed the conditioner then let a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution marinate on my hair for about 5 minutes.
  5. Leave Ins- I decided to apply It's a 10! leave in and Chi Silk Infusion then detangled.
  6. Flat iron- with my Solia Iron and Sedu Carbon Flat Iron Comb

The Results:
Before flat ironing, I gave myself a breakage pep talk. I reminded myself that breakage is inevitable, that tangles are unavoidable, and that there was a chance that my ends wouldn't be able to withstand all of the aforementioned. I didn't want to be disappointed if I didn't retain any length or if my hemline was a crooked mess. Then...I was done...And my hair actually looks really good. Like 100% better than I honestly thought that it would. Flat ironing is definitely a labor of love. (Here's the dets on how I get it done) But I just want to warn y'all---this will not occur again anytime soon! My arms still hurt! Ha-ha! I snipped off about 1/4-1/2 inch and I promise length check pics are coming down the pipeline. 

I hope that your #washdayexperience wasn't as long as mine!

Besitos!
KLP




The Wash Day Experience Linkup RULES

  1. Healthy Hair is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.
  2. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button below which links back to The Wash Day Experience page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.
  3. Encourage the wash day experience contributor that linked up directly before you with an inspiring  comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; comment love for everyone! 





43 comments:

  1. THREE hours??? No Bueno....No wonder you were dreading it. Totally worth it though. your hair has a lot of body for it being flat ironed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica. I think that the body is courtesy of 6+ inches of super curly roots + texlaxed ends & only 2 passes with the flat iron.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. Girrrl 3 hours, I would have been quit LOL!! But glad you pressed on your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3 hour time doesn't even include the break that I took for dinner and put my minions to bed. This straight hair stuff is for the birds! (Whatever that means!)

      Delete
  3. Truly, you are a dedicated young woman! Such a beautiful quality to have!
    I love your link up! This is such a great way to learn about hair care. I will have to share this with my oldest daughter when she comes home on Friday.

    Your hair is gorgeous!

    Anyway, thank you for the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks great! I don't know that I could have made it through the three hours. It used to take me about that long or longer to blow dry and flat iron my hair in high school which is why I cut it from APL to chin length. Can't wait to see the length check pics.

    Leah GRH | growingrelaxedhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be able to get away with working in larger sections---sheeessshhh not anymore. Now I have to work in tiny sections so that I don't have to make multiple passes of the flat iron. *shrugs* If this is the penalty for wanting healthier hair...so be it. LOL

      Delete
  5. Wow. Just wow. I don't know if I could have done it, but I'm so glad you did! I bet it feels great to see your hair in even better condition than you thought it would be. That alone is worth it! It looks great! I hope it lasts and lasts for you to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super glad that I pushed through because I'm pretty shocked at my hair right now. It's in muuuccchhh better condition than I was expecting!

      Delete
  6. Hi Chica! I really love the hair. And I did pray for your arms:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started flat ironing mine around 1am. More than one hr later, I was still on the first section. I gave up and said I would finish today. I feel your pain!
    Tiki | Grow It Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! We could totally be able to log our flat ironing sessions as workouts! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  8. 3 HOURS! You have far more patience than I do. Your hair turned out great though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks doll! It's a 10 + Chi Silk Infusion always does the trick!

      Delete
  10. I always spend ages trying to straighten my hair, but 3 hours, wow! You must have so much patience but your hair is looking lovely. I'm drooling over the shine! Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already miss my fluffy hair. *Gasp* Did I just say that?!? ___It's official___

      I'm a big girl now! LOL!

      Thanks for your sweet words chica!

      Delete
  11. I'm on the same page as everyone else... 3 hours!! NO way would I have flat ironed my hair! I would have made it a two-day process, wash my hair one day and flat ironed it the next. But hey, your results are great though. You have very nice volume to your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 3 hours just to flat iron! That doesn't include washing, conditioning, or detangling. Yeah...my straight hair is ALREADY out to get me. Ha-ha! It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

      Delete
  12. Came out very well with lots of body, nice.

    That time consumption is not for me, my arms already get tired from wash days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be doing this again for many months! But its really nice to see my length for a change.

      Delete
  13. Your hair looks great! Love thickness and shine and you know I love smooth hair! Flat ironing is def a labor of love. I get lazy and do big sections lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair today is a FAR cry from when I first started my hhj with thin stringy limp ends!

      Delete
  14. I love your pep talk! Lol it's always great when your hair turns out to be in better shape that you think it is. And yours looks AWESOME!! It's so full and pretty! That 3 hours is the exact reason I have no problem paying someone solely to flat iron my hair. Whew that's work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely considering going pro for my next straightening session!

      Delete
  15. Your hair looks great. I really want to flat iron my hair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it won't take you as long! But I bet that your hair will be super fly!

      Delete
  16. Hard work pays off. You and your hair look phenomenal. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks Abena! It took 4 years to finally be rid of my thin ends!

      Delete
  18. Your hair is AWESOMENESS chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hours spent was well worth it. Your hair looks so amazing -- very healthy and thick. I love it. You're healthy hair journey is going really, really well. Your hair is very telling of that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your hair looks so good KLP! Beautiful results. I definitely understand your pain. It took me about 3 hours to flat iron my hair on Saturday. Went to a concert Sunday and all my work turned into a poofy mess! It was nice while it lasted. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh...and then it had the NERVE to rain! Smh. It's a conspiracy right Andrea?!

      Delete
  21. Three hours?!? I would have quit lol. But your hair looks great as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah girl....THREE hours---and that was just to flat iron. It didn't include detangling, washing, or conditioning!

      Delete
  22. There are few people who use of moisturizing conditioner after every wash, and they make it a point to use conditioner regularly.
    http://silikonfreieshampoos.de

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!