Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Best of 2014: My Hair's Hits & Misses



2014 has been an amazing year for me--and my hair. I've had tons of highs and several low valleys but I feel so blessed to have grown and matured through the journey. Here's a recap of the best things (and the worse things) that happened to my hair.



Hit- Perm Rods

Y'all know that I love me a good bantu knot set, but I started to notice that the further that I got into this stretch---the harder it was to get a set that blended my super curly roots and my slightly straighter texlaxed ends. Then I discovered perm rods (shout out to Britt for the intro!) BEST. THING. EVER. Perm rods are relatively inexpensive and create the smoothest, bounciest make you wanna jump for joy curls ever. I could actually see my roots when it was all said and done! Oh the things that you get excited for when you haven't had a relaxer in a million years. Ha-ha!

See Related: How To Use Perm Rods on Natural Relaxed or Transitioning Hair


Hit: Steam Rollers

So, I'm chatting with my bloggy bestie Ebony from Longing4Length complaining about how terrible my hair looked and how little time I had to get glam for a girls night, when she suggests Caruso Steam Rollers. Since then---I've been HOOKED y'all. I just love how quick and easy they are to install and all without direct heat! Thanks Ebony!

See Related: How To Use Caruso Steam Rollers on Relaxed, Transitioning, or Natural Hair


Hit: I made it to MBL!

After 3 years of slowly but surely cutting off my ridiculously over-processed thin ends, a shedding fiasco, and the worse relaxer experience of my life---I finally made it to MBL last July!

See Related: Length Check and One Year Post Relaxer


Hit: BSL/MBL Length Bangs

I've never intentionally wanted bangs. Never not ever. But until recently, I've always had them because I would flat iron them daily. *cringes* Once I stopped that and started protective styling---my bangs have flourished! Today, they sit the same length as my hemline and I've never been more proud!

See Related: How To Grow Out Your Bangs



Miss- Twist Outs

Sure, this twist out looks cute, but it was totally a fluke because I couldn't replicate it plus it didn't last. Even when I followed the same exact steps! Ugh...But life is like that some times!

See Related: The #WashDayExperience- My Best Twist Out Ever (Kinda)

Miss- Fighting Tangles

I had to cut 3-4 very long knots out of my hair a few months ago. I cried. A long ugly cry. You know the kinda cry that you have when you know that everything that you are crying about was the result of your own negligence ugly cry. When I finally had the nerve to straighten my hair---I saw the damage. It wasn't pretty. Lesson learned.

See Related: The #WashDayExperience- Fighting Tangles

What were your hair's hits and misses this year? Link up your compilation below! Prospero Año y felicidad!



16 comments:

  1. The perm rods and the caruso rollers were definitely a hit! After trying out curlformers I realized I don't have the patience to do roller sets, especially when my hair is wet but those Caruso rollers are extremely tempting. Only flat twist outs work for me, but I'm trying staying away from those and braid outs going into 2015---too much maniuplation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stink at roller sets. My perm rods sets take almost 2 hours to install, I was kinda hoping that curlformers would shorten that time...*sad face*

      I love your braid outs but I totally understand about ditching high manipulation styles girl!

      I'm sprinkling positive pixie dust on your 2015 goals! ❤ ❤

      Delete
  2. All of your styles are hits to me! awesome post... Gives me hope to keep moving without my touch up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a great year! Curl beauty everywhere! Ever your 'miss' twist out looks good. Stood next to the perm rollers yesterday, should have taken them, your curls look so juicy!
    Love and success in 2015 (and the one day of 2014 :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As have you chica! I wish that I could all of the SavingOurStrands readers some perm rods. Omgosh---the curls are just sooo cute. Plus I love the way that the tension makes my hair soo smooth without heat! Win-Win!

      Delete
  4. What a year. Congratulations on meeting your goals with your bangs. Mine are still a problem. Your curly sets have wowed me each week. Wishing you a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise that once you commit to treating your bangs well---they will grow like weeds! The best thing that I ever did for my bangs was to leave them alone! LOL.

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a year it's been! Thanks for inviting me to this linkup, girl! It's been a wonderful year. I wish you peace, love, and length for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining! I love reading your posts! Cheers to 2015 chica!

      Delete
  6. You know I'm in love with you and your curls KLP! I hope to see more of them next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These curls are sooo here to stay! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  7. Awesome Hits missy! You were rocking those curls this year. I definitely feel your pain on the Miss with fighting tangles. I've spent a few late nights picking out knots. Not fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tangles are the DEVIL. For real! Fingers crossed that I remember to do more about preventing them in 2015.

      Delete
  8. I had the same issues with tangles and knots right before relaxer day. Never again. LOL. Try the twist out method! I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got your glycerin/aloe mist + the twist/curl method on my list of styles to try. Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!