Wednesday, December 03, 2014

[Hairstyle] Bouncy Curls Using Steam Rollers | #WashDayExperience


Between Turkey Day, my half-marathon training, getting sick, and trying to be fabulous for my 10 year high school reunion (OMG...I can't believe it's been TEN years since I graduated high school!), then doing it all over again, I've washed/co-washed my hair 3 times​ in 7 days!

I wanted big bouncy curls for my reunion but I knew that I wouldn't have time for either perm rods or my signature bantu knot curls. So I whipped out my steam rollers. I think that it's safe to say that I love these things---and Jessicurl!


  1. Deep Condition- My hair was well detangled from my previous 2 co-washes, so I jumped right into deep conditioning. I applied Jessicurl Deep Treatment from root to tip then massaged in a little extra virgin coconut oil to seal the conditioner in. I left it in for about 5 hours. 
  2. Detangling treatment- Then I rinsed each section. applied a dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution, worked it through my roots and rinsed.
  3. Air Dried- I added a bit of Chi Silk Infusion to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  4. Leave ins-I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner to moisturize and a dab of hair butter  to seal, then I blew out my roots with cold air to stretch it and set on Caruso Steam rollers for about 30 minutes.


Don't judge my bathroom selfe

The Results

Bantu knot-like curls! My hair felt super soft and well conditioned. I love the curl pattern and half way through taking down the rollers, I totally wished that I had more smaller rollers than the larger ones. Hmm...looks like I have something else to ask Santa for this year!
My besties
Every wash day, I'm reminded of how much my ends need a trim. I mean, when the heck was my last real trim? July? That's kinda sad. I totally know better than that. 

But trimming requires straightening and straightening requires 3 hours of devoted time with a flat iron. Ain't no body got time for that!



Oh and these are my day after bed-head waves. I didn't wrap, set, moisturize, anything. I am not a good role model. Do not try this at home. LOL. 

How was your #washdayexperience? Share the dets below!




30 comments:

  1. Love the curls, looking good! Happy 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! We had a blast! Crazy, I had 3 besties in high school and they are still my besties today!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous curls KLP! We all do naughty things to our hair once in a while...hope you had fun at your reunion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I could say that it was "every once in a while" Yemi! My hair would put me on the naughty list fo sure this year! I need to get my act together!

      Delete
  3. Your curls look so gorgeous! I just want to touch them! My ten year reunion was 2 years ago, eek! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I still feel like I'm finding myself---just like I was when I was in high school. Then other days I'm like---oh to be a kid again!!!

      I'm kicking myself for not whipping out my DSLR to snap these pictures. Smh. Where was my brain!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks doll! I reallllly need to get more of the smaller steam rollers so that I can whip up this look more often!

      Delete
  5. Super cute! I absolutely love this!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt! Maybe one day, I can get my braid outs to look as fabulous as yours!

      Delete
  6. Girl! Your curls are gorgeous! I know I need to add those steam rollers to my wishlist now. I'm glad you had fun at your 10 year reunion, too! I missed mine last year because it was two days after I had Jj, so I might have to call up some friends from HS and plan a reunion of some sort soon.

    And 3 hours for straightening? Wow. I don't think I would have the patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...that sucks! Just call/tweet/facebook everyone and have a together asap! Honestly, I was a huge dweeb in High School so I didn't expect to have a good time at the reunion---man----was I wrong! It was really a blast!

      It takes me FOREVER to straighten my hair. F O R E V E R. Which is why I dread it every time. And also why I've only straightened 3 times this year.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Bantu knot-look-a-like curls in 30 minutes---girl...I'm sprung!

      Delete
  8. Those curls are on and popping. Love them, come do mine please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me Tomi! I'd LOVE to! Plus, this girl is in total need of a vacay/change of scenery!

      Delete
  9. It looks like you had a lot of fun, girl! I love the curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really an amazing time! Thanks for commenting chica!

      Delete
  10. Wow, your curls looked like that after a night uncovered in bed?! I can only imagine how mine would look! :-) Beautiful set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steam rollers were---dare I say it---my best investment for my hair in 2014! Quick, easy, long lasting, moisturizing, and fairly low manipulation. I mean...what use could I really ask for?!? Thanks for your kind words doll!

      Delete
  11. Lol at this "I am not a good role model. Do not try this at home."
    It beez like dat sometimes!..lol
    Happy 10 years! Mines is next year!! #TimeFLIES
    You and your curls look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie to y'all---we're too tight! But I will say---DON'T BE LIKE BAD KLP! LOL

      Delete
  12. Love your curls!! I have totally fallen for the steam rollers, too. It's so great to get those results in 30 minutes. I've become a little obsessed lol

    My 10 year reunion is next year and I can't believe I've been out that long either! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually amazing how many "kinds" of curls you can do with a steam roller! Tight spirals, loose waves, big bouncy curls---all in 30 minutes or less. LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

      Delete
  13. Time just speeds by doesn't it? Your hair though! You'll have me on a mad search fpr steam rollers in Nigeria KLP.
    Great pics. Old friends rule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that you find them! Omgosh---they were definitely the best things that I bought in 2014!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!