Monday, June 10, 2013

Bun, Top Knot, Chignon, & Rolls/Twists

Sounds like I'm talking about food right? Or maybe I'm just hungry. Ha-ha! Any who, I get asked a lot what are the differences between a bun, top knot, chignon, and roll. While all four are tend to be used interchangeably, I do think that there are subtle differences between them. Here's the low down on up-dos:


Bun: Your hair is pulled up away from your face, twisted or braided, and wrapped in a circle around itself. Can be on the back of the head or neck. Buns can be worn messy or pulled together depending on your mood.

Top Knot: A cute name for a bun positioned at the very top of your head.


Chignon: Typically a formal, low up-do where your hair is pulled back away from your face. Instead of coiling the hair around itself in a circular motion, chignons have your hair gathered together then tucked under to secure.


French Rolls/Twists: A very neat classic up-do traditionally sitting on the back of the head and twists up from the nape of the neck creating a vertical "roll"

What's your favorite: Buns, Top knots, Chignons, or French Rolls/Twists?

Besitos!
KLP

6 comments:

  1. I love all four, but if I had to choose it would be buns and french rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I really do love all four. It just goes to show that protective styling doesn't have to be boring!

      Delete
  2. Really nice braid and twist incorporation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bun-aholic! Love them. I especially love the top one. Can you do a tutorial??? I'm a visual learner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! That bun was from Day 4 of our "The Bun Effect Series" http://savingourstrands.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-bun-effect-30-in-30_4.html

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!