Monday, June 03, 2013

Mini Wash

My hair was on its very best behavior this week and I was oh too happy about it! Usually, I'm able to go every other day moisturizing and sealing, but with 2 inches of curly roots, I forced myself to show my hair some love. Whenever I think about skipping my nightly routine, I remembered June's only recommendation from my salon visit in early May: "keep your roots moisturized to prevent breakage and add ease in detangling.

Extreme Deep Conditioning

(0) Detangled with my magic rake in vertical sections. 

(1) Extreme deep condition with Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Toner, my essential oil blend, and a little JBCO on my scalp. Plus a 3-1 ratio of Organix Repairing Instant Recovery Hair Mask Cream Awapuhi Ginger and Roux Porosity Control Conditioner on the length of my hair. I massaged a little EVCO through my strands, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for an hour. (Pretty short compared to my usual EDCs!)
(2) Tea Rinse with 2 green tea bags steeped 2 cups of water. I rinsed the conditioner thoroughly. Applied the tea rinse with a narrow tip applicator bottle and then let it sit on my hair for 5 minutes while in the shower. 
(3) Smoothing treatment with Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment. I rinsed the tea and massage a dollop of conditioner to my strands.
(4) Air dried with a cotton t-shirt until my hair was about 80% dry. 
(5) Leave Ins- I detangled using the 2 comb method while adding a little Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In and Chi Silk Infusion to each section. Then I pulled my hair into a loose bun and tied it up with a satin scarf to get my roots to lay down.

Results: 




 (Smoother Bun, Texture Shot, Shed Hair)
 
Why haven't I been using my satin scarf to lay down these roots consistently? Smh. My hair was pretty darn smooth and flat. I'm sure that it won't last long, the humidty is hoovering around 75% all week in my part of the world, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well something so simple worked! Normal shed this week and thanks to pre-wash detangling, my hair was surprising easy to detangle.

I've been debating on whether to relax early or suffer with my new growth throughout my upcoming vacay. The problem with relaxing early is that A. I haven't gone less than 12 weeks between relaxers in years! (I was stretching for years without even knowing it! I thought that I was being lazy!) The thought feels so weird and foreign! B. I don't want to be afraid to jump into the pool because I just relaxed my hair. Its not about the hair being straight---its about freshly chemically treated hair + chlorine filled pool. Not a combo that I really want to deal with. So, I've decided to just wait it out. What's another 2 weeks right? Says KLP now...Ha-ha! More news: I'm ditching the Just For Me Texture Softener. Whenever people ask me what brand of relaxer I use, I cringe. I don't even want to tell them because I hate how this treatment is marketed to kids. Even though its the only relaxer that I've used since 2006 and I've had great results with it, I just can't endorse it. Long story short---Mama's looking for a new relaxer! 

Any suggestions? How was your wash day?

Besitos!
KLP

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you have a preference for lye or no-lye. I started out using the Elasta QP Mild Lye relaxer. The only reason I stopped was because it left more texture than I wanted, but it might work for you. I did not add any oils to it. I now use the ORS Regular Lye Relaxer. For me it leaves the right amount of texture. I also don't add any oils to it. I hate that you feel you have to switch up since it's been working for you for this long, but I'm sure you can find a suitable replacement. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added both to my list of potential candidates. I'm sure that there are better relaxer systems out there anyway!

      Thanks as usual chica!

      Delete
  2. Your texture looks great! Wow you hardly lost any hair, great job. Good luck on your new relaxer hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi. I don't want to jinx myself, but I think that I've got my Spring Shed Dread under control. *mini woot* Tea rinsing, Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Toner and destressing for the win!

      Delete
  3. That's all the hair you lost?!?!? *making a mental note to get my butt BACK on the BTR wagon*. Girl, that is all I needed to see to convince myself!

    I agree with Andrea. I loved the ORS LYE relaxer but I added oils/conditioners to it to weaken it. By itself, it gives really good texlaxed results, but I had to weaken it because it took out a little too much texture. I hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two votes for ORS Regular Lye Relaxer!

      I've had the same amount of shed/loss hair for a few weeks now. Dare I say that Tea rinsing, Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Toner and destressing is helping? I'm not ready to sing it from the mountain tops yet, but this chica is stoked!

      Delete
  4. your hair shedding = my dream lool
    I also use the ORS No-Lye formula with Olive oil in the mix
    But I don't think the Lye Formula is as bad as we could hear
    A relaxer is "good" if you do it right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea rinsing, Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Toner and destressing---of the three, de-stressing was the hardest to stick to!

      Another vote for ORS. They are clear faves!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!