Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Reader Question: OMG! Your Hair Regimen Is Too Expensive!



$40 or less Hair Regimen

Q: OMG! Your Hair Regimen Is Too Expensive!

A: Chica you've got a good point! 

I may adore the products that I use on the regular but they definitely aren't for everyone. Many have limited availability in brick/mortar locations, are expensive, and can only be found in the continental US. Before you buy, regardless of who raves about it or what the ingredients are, understand that good technique will beat any uber expensive regime every day of the week. Detangling properly, keeping your scalp clean, deep conditioning regularly, and being gentle with your tresses will lead to healthy hair.

If I had to skimp back on my hair obsession, I'd turn to Organix and Herbal Essences. Both lines are sold at all major drugstores, mass retailers, and available internationally. Here's what my regimen would look like on a $40 or less monthly budget.

$40 or less Regimen-

Mid-week:
Co-wash with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner + Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on the length of my hair.

Full Wash:
(1) Detangle with my fingers in vertical sections using EVCO to aid in detangling if necessary
(2) Shampoo with a
diluted solution in a narrow tip applicator bottle
(4) Extreme Deep Condition- layers an oil over conditioner covered with a plastic bag and then under indirect heat for at least 30 minutes before rinsing.
(5) Green Tea Rinse-with 2 tea bags and 2 cups of water applied with a narrow tip applicator bottle
(6) Smoothing Treatment- Tea rinses make my hair feel a bit stiff so I massage a conditioner with tons of slip and moisture into my hair then let sit for about 5 minutes to soften my tresses.
 

(6) Air dry- I let my hair air dry 80% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt
(7) Leave-ins/Sealants- Moisturize with creamy leave-in and seal with an oil.

Products I would use:

Total: $34.93!  

Leaving $5.07 for taxes and/or shipping costs. If you are a couponer, be on the lookout for Organix and Herbal Essences coupons in your Sunday paper plus many drugstores offer in store discounts. A few weeks ago, I caught a B2GO free deal on Organix and a 2/$6 deal on Herbal Essences from Walgreens.com, which offers free shipping on orders over $25. This just goes to show that frugal-hairlistas can exist!

How low can the price of your regimen go?

Besitos!
KLP

10 comments:

  1. Hey girl,
    Did you get my article? It's been months. Later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post. As a rookie to the HHJ, it is very hard not to buy everything your favorite blogger reviews and that is something that I am definitely learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way. It took me months to break down and buy the big bottle of Chi Silk Infusion. The good news is that I love it and because the bottle lasts forever, it actually has an amazing price/use ratio.

      Delete
  3. I know my regimen is expensive, which is why I worked hard to find one that worked and stuck to it! For the most part, I use Alterna products, where shampoo and conditioner can run $32 each if not on sale. I see people who have tons of products, but I only have a few of my staples, which kinda balances things out, I suppose! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it definitely balances out and its awesome to know/have what works best for your hair!

      One of my fave conditioners (Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm retails for over $25.99; My other fave Halka Baba de Caracol retails for $9.99. Sometimes expensive is good---other times--its the dirt cheap products that your hair loves.

      I just enjoy the process of discovery!

      Thanks for stopping by LaShanda.

      Delete
  4. Lol I love your post! When I started my hhj I was reading about products I had never heard about and they costed money! I have made it a point to use more afford products for example PMSSDT is an amazing product but it ain't cheap, I usually use it after my tea rinse but found out my instant cons which are cheap do the same thing, for my hair at least! HHJon a budget hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it Yvonne!! I'm convinced that there is more than one way to go about our quest to healthier hair. When you have good technique---longer more nourished hair will follow. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. My regimen is pretty cheap I'd say. I do that buy using affordable brands, and looking at good ingredients, then buying in bulk or bigger bottles for better value :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome route to take Yolanda. I like keeping the fancy (read: expensive) salon products in rotation with my favorite drugstore (read: under $10) finds.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!