Tuesday, September 30, 2014

[Tutorial] Mini Twist High Bun

I have protective-style-phobia. #Ijustmadethatwordup Feel free to judge me. But it's true. I gush about all kinds of braids and twists. Box braids, Marley twists, Senegalese twists, Crochet braids. You name it, I lust for it. I pin hundreds of styles on Pinterest, I even encourage others to get them. Will you see me in the braiding chair? Probably not. I'm just wack like that. I can't commit to long term protective styles to save my life and I'll whine about every expect of the process. Installation takes too long. Removal is too difficult. What if I get bored. Aren't they heavy? Who gonna help me wash these thangs? What about my edges, y'all? <insert eyeroll> I told you I was wack. In all honesty, I just love having complete access to my hair.

I adore the look but not enough to commit. Enter, my mini twist high bun. Part faux twist. Part ultra cool protective style. So simple that a very stylish sassy and sophisticated cave woman could do it. The steps are easy peasy. But first, order in takeout and cue up your DVR, its going to take at least an hour or two. Here's how I did mine:
  1. Starting with detangled, moisturized, and sealed hair, section into 1/4"-1/2" squares.
  2. Twist hair from tip to ends. Repeat a gazillion times. (Exaggeration. Maybe just a million)
  3. Once all of your hair is twisted pull up into a high pony then wrap the ends around into a bun.
  4. Secure flyaways with bobby pins. (You'll need a lot of pins!)
Will mini twists cure my braid fever? Probably not. But it's a start!

Besitos!
KLP

P.S. This picture is definitely not recent. I'm sitting with conditioner in my hair getting ready to do something totally unfabulous to it to share in tomorrow's #washdayexperience

PPS. Today's the last day to enter to win your very own Good Hair Is gift package. Enter ASAP!

21 comments:

  1. I hear you KLP! I love braids and twisted styles but can never commit to a long-term protective style. Love your twisted hairstyle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what I say to myself---I CAN'T convince me to do it! I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  2. This is a hair style i want to rock when i reach my hair goal. Love the accessory to jazz up the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why wait until you reach your hair goal? You could totally pull this off today chica!

      Delete
  3. I'm unsure which I love most...your flawless complexion or your flawless hairstyle. I'm so torn! Either way, flawless is the theme for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flawless complexion? Me? Girl please! This picture was just taken in good lighting! Do you think that you'd try mini-twists or box braids?

      Delete
    2. Hey, do me a favor. Get up...walk in the bathroom...look in the mirror. What do you see? Yeah, flawless. Mmmmhmmmm

      Box braids like I did back in the day, no. Crochet box braids, yes. Mini twists, I've done before but it's been years ago. I'm thinking of doing them next wash day though because you know I'm loving my twists right about now.

      Delete
    3. LOL! You're too much chica! Crochet box braids are so on trend right now! I could totally see you rocking them with a little bit of curl at the end! I wonder how long they take to install...*runs to google* Why do you prefer crochet box braids to regular ones?

      Delete
    4. Less time for install and the potential for tangling is greatly minimized. I use to rock crochets back in the day and they are awesome.

      Delete
    5. Nice! You should totally share pics of your crochets for #tbt! I bet they were super cute!

      Delete
  4. I cant twist hair :( If I could then this would be my every week style :). Your hair looks awesome. As for long term PS, I usually go for cornrows and weaves because they take less time to install as well as take down.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh Evalyne---you can totally do this style. Its just a double strand twist aka two sections of hair crossed over one another a million times. I bet that it would look great on you!

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way! My edges can't take it, I'm sure and neither than my restless body! I can't sit that long!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had box braids since I was a kid---how did I sit down for that long without DYING?!?! lol!

      Delete
  6. Luv luv luv it!! Your twists look so full, shiny and healthy! The floral headband was a nice touch too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about protective styles. I do them once in a blue moon. Your hair looks great in this style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew...I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! No shade to those that do though. I totally live vicariously through them!

      Delete
  8. Getting box braids with extensions at the salon is something my butt will never recover from.
    Love your mini twists KLP, and it's mega cute with that headband. Twists are my go-to protective style these days. Doing them myself lets me prance around instead of sitting still with my neck in an awkward position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo true! AND I got to empty my DVR! Two birds one stone! #winning

      Delete
  9. Nowdays especially for bridesmades and floI think the bridesmaids definitely need some height to their hair. A little backcombing to make a bouffant would be AMAZING! Half up, half down for sure. This post is very nice.. For more info click here.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!