Wednesday, January 21, 2015

[Hairstyle] Floral Crown Updo | Wash Day


I've been keeping it low key and ridiculously simple lately. My hair has been on a high bun, low bun, halo braid rotation for the last few days and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. I don't know if its just me or not, but the cold weather makes me want to put my hair into hibernation until the spring! Here's how my #washdayexperience went:




  1. Pre-shampoo- I started by gently detangling using my fingers and slathering each section with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner.
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the conditioner completely. I clarified with KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo to remove the sweat and grime that has accumulated on my scalp and then once more shampoo with KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo to get my hair squeaky clean. 
  3. Protein Treatment- Next, I applied Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus from root to tip, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes.
  4. Extreme Deep Condition- Then, I deep conditioned with Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm then put my hair into 6 loose bantu knots, covered with a plastic cap and got comfortable under my heat cap again for about an hour.
  5. Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the tshirt to dry a bit more.
  6. Leave-ins- I applied a little Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner and a dab of my hair butter then set my hair on about 20 perm rods using end papers overnight.

The Results:
Why I'm using shampoo again:
My marathon training schedule has me running over 30 miles a week. Needless to say, the daily sweat + weekly grime is making my scalp and hair pretty gross. So until race day, you can expect to see shampoo back in the mix. I've also noticed that all of the stuff that I used to hate about shampoo---isn't so bad since I ditched my texlaxed ends. My hair doesn't tangle in the shower nor does it feel matted. Now, I won't give the cut all of the credit, I definitely think that pre-shampooing with conditioner is helping me win the tangle war too. 

Why I'm using protein again:
If it ain't broke then don't fix it right? Protein layering was AMAZING before my cut so, I want to keep a little protein in the mix while I get to know more about my curls. I also noticed that my hair has been crazy moisturized (so fluffy and soft that I don't bother moisturizing and sealing nightly). I picked up a tub of Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus plus during Ulta's liter sale a few weeks ago in hopes that it will replace *insert shocking gasp here* my beloved yet impossible to find Nexxus Emergencee. I promise to give you guys the scoop once this tub is done. So far, I like it!

Why I'm using perm rods again:
I learned (the intensely painful) hard way that my hair is more respectful when it's stretched and that's exactly what perm rods do for me. I mean, doesn't it look like I straightened my hair? I promise y'all that I didn't! This is just how amazing these rods are at stretching and smoothing my hair. I'm so in love that I invested a whooping $10 in another set of smaller sized magenta and white rods! I see a big fluffy curl set in my near future honey!

Floral Crown Updo:
I forgot to snap a pic of my curls fresh out of the rollers, but to style, I pulled my hair into a variation of my allllll time favorite updo that I affectionately call my Faithful 30 Second Style and adorned with a flower crown. (I was feeling fancy plus the boss aka my 5 year old daughter insisted that I wear it!)  Here's how I did it:
  1. Split hair into two sections.
  2. Bring your hair from one section to the front. Begin twisting, instead of twisting to the back, twist to the front. (If this doesn't make sense at first, watch and re-watch this video.) Continue your twist to the end of your length.
  3. Repeat on the other side.
  4. Take one of the twists and cross it over the back of your head. Secure with a bobby pin. Repeat with the other side.
  5. Tuck in all of the loose ends.
You can find variations of this style here, here, here, and here. Told you---I'm obsessed with this updo!

How was your #washdayexperience?

Besitos!
KLP


26 comments:

  1. I love your floral crown! Looks like we are both itching for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm. OVER. winter.

      So over it! I just want warmth and sun honey!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore this style!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I absolutely adore you! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  3. Eeps!! (this is a squeal of delight btw, lol) I LOVE this hairstyle! Omg I just HAD to pin it, absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sooo much chica! I get compliments on this style all the time. What people don't realize is that its the sammmeee style every time. It just looks a bit different each time that I do it!

      Delete
  4. So glad that you listened to your 5 year old. This hairstyle is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! She and I made these headbands together last spring!

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about putting my hair away until spring. I love your hair style. I only spray water on my crochet braids. Oil would make them too shiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like---my hair just doesn't want to be out and about until its warm and toasty out! LOL. Thanks for the top about your crochet braids. It's TOTALLY ingenious!

      Delete
  6. Love how thick your hair is, the hairstyle is gorge!!

    www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love this hairstyle. I think it looks really good. Glad you had a good wash day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Miranisa! I try to showcase new styles, but this one is just one of my faves! I can't stop doing it!

      Delete
  8. So Cute! you've definitely mastered it. Mine comes out lopsided. I need more practice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally keep practicing! Once you get it---I promise that you'll do this style at least once a week!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara! I love how utterly simple this style is to do!

      Delete
  10. Ughhh Klp, you've got me wanting to big chop the way you're totally the boss of your hair. Beautiful style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Sandra! If you wanna chop---do it when you're ready so that you can really enjoy the fruits of your labor! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Who do you think you are looking all celestial and stuff?! Super easy and cute!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!