Friday, January 16, 2015

My Cheap and Easy Winter Green Nutribullet Smoothie | #FitnessFriday



Committing to drinking one green smoothie a day is a habit that I made in 2014 and intend on keeping for 2015. I love my Jack Lelane juicer to death, but let me tell y'all, juicing in the winter time is tough. It's harder to find fresh (juicy) fruits. Plus the amount of fruits and veggies that you need just to make one cup of juice is uber pricey. So, for Christmas, I asked my super hero hubby for a NutriBullet. Because he's simply amazing, he gifted it to me early and I stepped up my green smoothie game asap. Here's my recipe for the best winter produce friendly and inexpensive Nutribullet green smoothie:


Apples- Affordable fiber

The key to any green smoothie recipe is finding the right balance of sweetness and bitterness while keeping the calories down. Apples are rich in fiber, sweet, and super affordable.

Spinach and Kale- Dark Leafy Vegetables

I, like many chicas struggle with iron deficiencies that can lead to anemia. Research has shown that low iron levels play a role in hair loss. Eating dark leafy veggies is one way to increase your iron levels, keep your body feeling energized and your hair follicles healthy.

Cucumber- Light and Refreshing anti-oxidants

As one of my favorite veggies, I use cucumber in everything. Cucumbers are high in potassium, manganese, silica and sulfur. Plus they are mostly water, so they add the right amount of liquid to keep the texture from being gritty or pasty.

Green grapes- Sweet nutrients

Chocked full of vitamins C and K, green grapes are available year round in most places. Because it's incredibly difficult to get pesticide residue off of grapes, this is the one fruit that I try to buy organic.


I loved the clean crisp taste of my Jack LeLane juices, but I kinda felt like I was missing out on all of the good fiber from the skins of my fruits and veggies. The Nutribullet solves that issue completely! Plus I use much less produce per smoothie. and it only costs me about $8/week in extra groceries.


How do you get your veggies in during the winter?

Besitos!
KLP



19 comments:

  1. I love Green smoothies. I've been juicing lately, but I want to get back on the smoothie making. They're much more filling IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Joanna! Now, don't get me wrong, I ADORE the clean filtered taste of a good fresh juice but smoothies with all that fiber definitely keep you fuller longer!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. I think I just might invest in a Nutribullet. My sis has a juicer, but like you said its way more costly to juice because of the amount of fruit and veggies you need to fill up your glass. And you miss out on all the fiber. I know what I'm doing when I get off work today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love most about the NutriBullet is the super easy clean up. Not to say that my Jack LeLane was difficult to clean---but its so easy to just rinse the blade in hot soapy water then throw it into the dish rack to dry. BOOM POW. That's it! Plus I can store all of the ingredients in the Nutribullet cup at night, blitz it in the morning then go.

      But I'm not trying to convince you tho...HAHAHA!

      Delete
    2. Well I surely did just leave Bed Bath and Beyond with a new toy! LOL! I love your idea of storing the ingredients and then blending in the morning. I'm so excited, I can't wait to make my first smoothie with this bad boy! Woot!!

      Delete
    3. GET IT GIRL! I hope that you used your 20% coupon @ BB&B! I think that you'll definitely love your bullet and I can't wait to read about your smoothie recipes too!

      Delete
  3. Great tip about the grapes. I buy some produce organic but never grapes. How much per pound did you pay for your grapes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're military so I only shop at the commissary (or our farmers market when in season) where prices are typically 30% lower than civilian groceries stores. I went today and the organic grapes where $3.47/lb. The last time that I went into Whole Foods, I wanna say that the organic grapes over $8/lb.

      I hope that this helps!

      I'm not a crazy organic lover. When we can afford it---we buy it. And when we can't---we don't. Because at the end of the day, at least my children (and I) are eating fresh fruits and veggies. Woot!

      Thanks for your question!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great maschine!! I buy all fruit and veggies organic. I cut back on other things like snacks and sweet if I can't afford. Not only fort self but for the ones working in the fruit plants.

    I love kale but never eaten it raw. Have to try that. Have you tried to add nuts to your smoothies? Seeds are packed with vitamins and minerals. So you only need little but a hand ful of natural untoasted cashews makes the smoothies so creamy and nutritious. I also love kelp in my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond butter or even peanut butter is awesome in a smoothie. I have a great recipe here: Breakfast Protein Smoothie

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  5. Ok, I tried to comment so pardon if this repeats...I was saying I just got a nutribullet two months ago and I'm mad it took me so long to upgrade. Don't get me wrong the magic bullet is still my boo, but it just doesn't do the job when it comes to REALLY blending leafy greens. I end up chewing the whole time! lol. I will be trying this recipe and will post when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Magic Bullet that I had completed failed me after one or two smoothies. I think that because the Nutrilbullet has a more powerful motor and bigger blades its better equipped to blitz the veggies/fruits into oblivion. LOL.

      Delete
  6. I love making green smoothies! I've been known to do month long smoothie challenges, but lately I have been having them as a mid-day snack. I use the magic bullet, which is a cheaper version, but it still does the job. I would recommend to anyone who does use the magic bullet, to blend your kale/spinach with your liquids first, and then add fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's I really good idea Jas! I never thought of that!

      Delete
  7. That smoothie looks delicious. I've been on a juicing kick lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I'll get back to juicing in the spring.

      Delete
  8. After a couple days of Green supplements , I could feel my waist return to normal pressure - hence the daily bloat was starting to reduce. I could actually feel my belly start to flatten after only a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! Hillview Avenue Greeneries

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!