Friday, February 06, 2015

15 Ways to Make Green Smoothies Taste Better | #FitnessFriday


Green smoothies may look like freshly mowed grass clippings but I promise you that it doesn't have to taste like it! Here are 15 of my favorite ways to make my green smoothies taste better.
  1. Make it 60/40- Use 60% veggies and 40% fruit. You don't have to use a ton of fruits to get the right sweetness. 1/2 an apples, 3 or 4 strawberries, or a handful of grapes is enough.
  2. Ripe is best- The concentrated flavor of a ripe fruit makes any smoothie taste better.
  3. Keep it thick- If you like your smoothie thin, add just a little more water. But if you like it thicker (say if you wanted to eat it with a spoon) add a tablespoon of water at a time just to get your blades moving and freeze your fruits before you blend so that you can skip the ice.
  4. Drink em cold- I prefer my smoothies cold. I think that it tastes better and is smoother. You can freeze of the smoothie ingredients in the blender cup for a few hours before blitzing to get a cool temperature once blitzed.
  5. Fresh is best- Fresh produce is KEY for a great tasting smoothie. Plan to use your fruits within 3-4 days of purchase and your veggies within 4-5 days. When in doubt, throw it in the freezer so that it doesn't get too sad looking.
  6. Use a Smoothie Straw- If the consistency of your smoothie grosses you out then grab a smoothie straw! You'll finish it faster because the straw is bigger too!
  7. Add citrus- Perk up the acidity of your smoothie with a squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice.
  8. Nut Butters- Adding a teaspoon of your favorite nut butter (think almond, peanut, or cashew) to create a creamy texture and give your smoothie a boost of protein to keep you fuller longer.
  9. Freeze em- Wanna have a smoothie for work but can't take your blender with you? Freeze it, then let it thaw from morning until lunch time!
  10. Shake it up- If you let your smoothie sit, chances are that it will separate, but don't let that scare you. Just shake it up and you're back in business!
  11. Color- Be careful when adding red or purple fruits to your smoothie. It will change the color from a bright green to a muddy brown. The good news is that it tastes fantastic---if you can get past the color. If you can't stick to reds and purples for one smoothie and greens for the others. 
  12. Order of operations- In my Nutribullet, I've noticed that the order in which I stack the blending cup matters. First I add fruits, then veggies, the your other stuff (butters, etc) and topping it off with ice (or you can freeze the fruits) and a little water.
  13. Grab Baby greens- So---you hated the kale in your smoothie---and the spinach wasn't much better. But don't give up! Try baby greens instead. The raw flavor is softer and the greens are more tender.
  14. Blend well- If you're getting chunks of smoothie in your cup then...you need to blitz it into oblivion! Just note that the heat from your machine will warm your smoothie so you might want to add a bit more ice.
  15. Yogurt- When all else fails, add a few spoon fulls of your favorite fruit yogurt to mask the flavor, close your nose and just drink it! It's good for you!
So you tried all of these tips and nothing worked? Keep trying! Remember adding more raw fruits and veggies to your day is a lifestyle— not a diet.

What are your tips for better tasting green smoothies?

Besitos!
KLP




16 comments:

  1. Steer clear of oversweetening the smoothie even with fresh fruit. The body still recognizes it as sugar and one will CRASH after a few hours or pack on so many calories, you will be left wondering why you aren't losing weight. Eventually pair down the fruits and up the ante on the vegetables for the most nutritious and low calorie smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally don't mix the reds with the greens because the look matters to me; can you tell I was a picky eater as a child?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time that I mixed the reds and greens I was like OMG!!!!!! I ruined it! LOL!

      Delete
  3. I looooove green smoothies! I find that I can add a ton of spinach without affecting the flavor of my smoothies so that is usually a go to for me! I'm iffy on kale in smoothies. The texture gets a bit wonky for my taste but I do love kale so at least I get it in other meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blitz it longer when you add the kale. Trust me---It turn your gritty consistency into an uber smooth shake!

      Delete
  4. I have found that adding coconut water makes them taste sweeter, which is what I like. I also like adding Dannon vanilla yogurt. I am a sugar addict!! If it doesn't taste sweet, I won't like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh coconut water is a brilliant idea! Adding it to my grocery list!

      Delete
  5. My green smoothies have definitely been trial and error. I quickly learned that red and blue fruits with my greens make my smoothies look like mud like you mentioned. Not particularly nice to look at but still good. I've also been looking for a good smoothie straw. The one I have just doesn't work.
    I like using some frozen fruit with my fresh fruits and veggies because it's quicker and they last longer and make my smoothies nice and cold. Great tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Diamond Smoothie Straws. They come 40 in a pack and cost about $1.50. I should probably be using a reusable straw but...whatevs...I'll get there one day! LOL

      Delete
  6. Drinking them cold is essential. The minute mine warm up even a little bit it doesn't taste good to me anymore. Also the smoothie straw is an excellent tip too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stick mine in the freezer for 30 minutes then blitz it again if it gets too warm on me. I have no clue how people drink hot green smoothies. *cringes*

      Delete
  7. amazing tips!!!
    especially the "keep it cold" part.
    i learned the hard way that warm smoothie are nasty, haha.

    :)
    vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a recipe for a warm green smoothie and was sooo grossed out. I have no clue why you'd do that to yourself willingly. LOL!

      Delete
  8. I have also found a delicious vanilla whey that really tastes great called Rainbow Light Protein Energizer, Vanilla by Rainbow Light on Amazon. Also, if you like your smoothie to have a nutty flavor, add ground flaxseed. I also found this product on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!