Wednesday, February 11, 2015

[Hairstyle] Wash Day | My First Flat Twist and Curl


I've had a luxuriously TERRIBLE track record with braid and twist outs on my texlaxed hair. I love them. They HATE me. I kept trying, changing my technique, adjusting my product. And they still hated me.

How to: Twist Out French Tuck (circa 2014)
The ONLY good thing about a busted braid or twist out is that they give updos fabulous texture. Like this uber cute french tuck that I did last year:\


How to: Twist out with Satin Rollers (circa 2014)

I've only had one twist out that looked decent enough to walk out of the house when my hair was fully texlaxed. Ugh...but it didn't last because I forgot to use a holding product. 
 
But, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I decided to give the twist out another try. I figured that now that maybe since I chopped, things would be better. Here's how my #washdayexperience went:


  1. Extreme Deep Condition- To start, I gently detangled and applied a mix of OGX Repairing Awapuhi Ginger Instant Recovery Mask, Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong, and Organix Hydrating Macadamia Oil ConditionerTreatment from root to tip. I massaged in a little extra virgin coconut oil to seal in the conditioners, covered with a plastic cap and got comfortable under my heat cap again for about an hour.
  2. Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the t-shirt to dry a bit more.  
  3. Leave-ins- My hair was about 80% dry when I applied a little Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner and a dab of my hair butter then I flat twisted in 7 sections (3 in the front and 4 in the back) and set the ends on white perm rods. 
The Results:


I'm actually still in shock that my hair actually looks...dare I say it...DECENT! Texture galore. Curls galore. Effortless movement galore. I twirled y'all. Allll day. I twirled! The shape of my hair looks amazing. I attribute that to my lob (long bob) cut. I adored the way that my hair looked on the left side. The curls were perfect. The right side---meh...not so much. I forgot to take a picture of my flat twists but I did one on the left side and two on the right side. Next time, I'll only do one on the right side and secure the perm rod a little tighter to get a curl instead of a wave.



I bet that you noticed that I haven't used my BELOVED Matrix Detangling Solution or tea rinsed in a while. Well, my hair doesn't tangle in the shower anymore! I haven't had ONE tangle since I chopped. Plus, the amount of hair that I lose each wash day has decreased dramatically. I pinch myself every wash day. I swear it's like a dream come true!



As I sectioned my hair to flat twist it, I grabbed my scissors and dusted my ends. I don't have a timeline of when (or if) I'll chop the 2-3 inches of wavy, curly texlaxed bits on the ends of my bangs yet. But I noticed some straighter pieces while my hair was wet and they had to go! I'm definitely not afraid of my scissors anymore!

Oh and you're probably wondering why do I have so many conditioners? Well, what had happened was---my product stash is OVERFLOWING. It's very very very pitiful. I feel like a hoarder. I grabbed a couple of my half-empty conditioners, mixed them all together and slapped it into my hair. I was pleasantly surprised at how soft and fluffy my hair felt after I rinsed the conditioner.



These curls are fabulous but y'all know that I love a good updo! The next day, I whipped my hair into a fat halo braid. I did a tutorial on it a million moons ago. You can check it out here.

How was your #washdayexperience this week?



24 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, a bad braid out makes a wonderful undo, especially buns!! :) The twist out on satin rollers looked great! Can you put a picture up of what they look like? I don't see them here in Canada :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! It was my one and only good twist out with texlaxed hair. *sad face*

      Here's a link to that post: Twist out with Satin Rollers

      It has all the details about the rollers. I think that I paid between $10-12 USD for them a few years ago. You can probably pick them up on Amazon here.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that you lost that little hair from the whole wash day!!! Once again your curls are gorgeous, love them! What are you using to moisturize your hair now that its almost all natural?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessicurl Too Shea. I love everything about this moisturizer. It was fantastic on my texlaxed hair, my transitioning hair, and now my natural hair!

      Delete
  3. You are definitely not the only one whose stash runneth over. I have sooo much conditioner but everytime I pass the hair aisle in the grocery store I feel the urge to buy more. Your lob looks great, I guess it was your texlaxed strands that kept you from achieving twist-out greatness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid texlaxed ends! LOL.

      I don't even dare look into the hair aisle at the store. I'll likely find something that a "need." I use the word "need" oohhh soooo very loosely!

      Delete
  4. Those curls are so springy! I love that you are trying different things with your hair now that its natural rather than putting yourself in a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boxes are so boring! I want fun hair! LOL. Thanks for stopping by Tomi!

      Delete
  5. I love seeing how your hair has evolved. It feels like I'm growing with your hair. Don't mind me, lol.
    I had no idea how much tangles and breakage very straight ends could cause until I got rid of mine. Same results.
    I love both styles. So pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo...you knew that my tangles would DISAPPEAR if I chopped off my texlaxed ends and you didn't tell me?

      Shame on you

      Shaaammmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

      LOLOLOLOL---Don't mind me, I can be overly dramatic at times. haha!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, my husband said ever since I cut my hair the first time, I have little fear of the shears (which IS true). But I have been doing really well so far. No cuts in over a year. :-) Anyway, beautiful hair! I love what Tomes said about you exploring more with your natural hair outside your comfort box. Totally true. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to hide my scissors for reals Kristal! I can see myself dusting and mini chopping ALOT in 2015!

      Delete
  7. Your hair loos really good. You're very detailed with your posts on how you get from point A to B, which is awesome and informative. You really understand your hair because your wash days are always big hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly---I don't get my hair most of the time. I just try stuff and sometimes it works--sometimes it doesn't! I try to share it all with you guys!

      Delete
  8. Hi KLP, Your hair looks amazing. The fullness is incredible! I love to cut my ends when they are wet. This way I can see which part does not curl up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point Nerline! I'll do my next dusting on soaking wet hair. Thanks for the tip chica!

      Delete
  9. So gorgeous! Your hair looks awesome KLP x

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!