Wednesday, February 18, 2015

[Hairstyle] Knotted Updo for Natural Hair | The #WashDayExperience


After reading about all of the lust worthy protective styles that you guys were sporting last week---I kinda felt left out! So this week, I skipped the bantu knots, perm rods, and twist outs for something simpler. Here's how my #washdayexperience went:


  1. Pre-Shampoo- To start, I gently detangled and applied Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle from root to tip. I massaged in a little extra virgin coconut oil to seal in the conditioner, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap again for about an hour. 
  2. Shampoo- I rinsed the pre-shampoo treatment then shampooed my hair with Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Shampoo once.
  3. Protein Treatment- After using a cotton t-shirt to absorb most of the water, I applied Joico K-Pak Revitalisant (the cheaper thinner cousin of K-Pak Revitaluxe). I left it on for about 20 minutes before...
  4. Extreme Deep Condition- rinsing and applying Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm + a little coconut oil. I covered my hair with a plastic cap, sat under my heat cap for an hour, then left it in over night.
  5. Air dry- After rinsing the deep conditioner, I blotted my hair with a cotton t-shirt, applied a little extra virgin coconut oil in sections then wrapped it in the t-shirt to dry a bit more.  
  6. Leave-ins- My hair was about 80% dry when I applied a mist of Nexxus Humctress Luxe Leave In, Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner and a dab of my hair butter then I faux banded my hair in 4 sections to stretch it.
The Results
I dusted my ends again. I know I know. I'm borderline obsessed with trimming right now. But I've come to terms with a few things in the last couple of weeks:
  1. I love love love this long bob cut. It's not too short and it's not too long. I can still get my hair into a high bun and a cute little low bun. I love it so much that the thought of growing it out makes me really sad. 
  2. I'm probably going to end up at the same length at the end of 2015 that I was at the end of 2014. Because...
  3. I'm going to keep dusting and made do a mini chop or two until I'm certain that all of the texlaxed bits are gone. 
  4. I have no idea how long that's gonna take. LOL



I caught a lot of flack when I professed overnight deep conditioning last year. So here's the thing: do what works best for your hair, your lifestyle, and your goals. If that doesn't include overnight deep conditioning---you're a lucky chica! And if it does---woot woot for you! There are no right and wrong answers. Just do you!



To stretch my hair, I faux banded it in 4 sections. I've been faux banding my hair for almost a year now and it's my favorite way to elongate my hair without heat. The process is incredibly simple. I just detangle in sections, apply product then stretch the hair and hold it with a hair clip. Uber simple!



To style, I opted for a 5 minute knotted updo. If you struggle with braids, are transitioning and want to hide your ends, or just looking for an easy protective style then this is the updo for you! Here's how I did it:
  1. Make a heavy side part then position your bangs behind your ear (if necessary).
  2. Starting that your crown, grab two large sections of hair. 
  3. Loop the section into a knot. (Like you would tie two pieces of string together) Place a bobby pin through the center of the knot to secure.
  4. Hold on to your previous sections, plus gather a little more hair in each hand. Loop another knot. Secure with a bobby pin. 
  5. Repeat step 4 again and again until you reach your nape. I did 4 knots. If your hair is longer or you use smaller sections, you may need to do more knots.
  6. Tuck the reminding hair around your final knot and secure with a bobby pin on each side. 
How was your #washdayexperience? 

Besitos!
KLP


29 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you for this hairstyle! I am so trying it next week! *hugs* *multiple kisses*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem chica! I'm posting a pic-tutorial with picture by picture instructions soon!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. You are so creative with your hairstyles! I know you're already married but that hairstyle is perfect for a bride. How do you plan on maintaining the updo throughout the week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh Harlem you're so right! This would be a super cute style for a bride!

      Because this style is incredibly easy, I'll probably take it down moisturize and seal then re-knot it then cover with my scarf.

      Thanks for the question!

      Delete
  3. You've got to do a video for those of us with two left hands lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Abena! I'm editing a pic-tutorial right now!

      Delete
  4. I love this look! Especially what you did with the back, it's so elegant! I too stretch my air drying hair in with faux banding. I either put my hair into 4 ponytails and twist the ends or use bobby pins to lay down my hair in sections and then twist the ends into a halo around my head. I love that it stretches my curls and then allows for easy detangling on the next wash day! And who cares what people think of your overnight DC. If it works for you then you do you! Thanks for this link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faux banding for the WIN! Twisting the ends around in a halo sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm going to try that after I co-wash this week to see if it works for me too.

      My hhj philosophy is and will always be "do you." If it works for you great! And if it doesn't--enjoy the process of discovering a new method. Nothing is set in stone!

      Thanks for contributing!

      Delete
  5. Hi KLP, coconut oil tends to dry out my ends due to protein sensitivity. It makes them look like they are relaxed. Has this happened to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My texlaxed hair LOVED protein. So-far my natural hair seems to like it too. After the #washdayexperience protein treatment, my coils were actually beautifully defined. I still have 2-3 inches of wavy, curly texlaxed bits on the ends of my bangs that I'm going to dust and mini chop until I'm certain that it's gone.

      Delete
  6. Hi hi I love the up do I just don't quite get the third step please explain more.... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chica! I'll be posting a pictorial soon! The third step is a bit tricky, but you take two sections of your hair and tie it into a knot---just like you would if you tie two pieces of string together. I hope that this helps!

      Delete
    2. Yes it does I'd try it out tomorrow.... Sunday is gonna be awesome

      Delete
  7. Yall are killing me with the updos. I'm so jealous. Why can I never come up with styles this cute? Mine usually end up being flops. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You call it cute...

      I call it my lazy-day-I-don't-feel-like-fussing-with-my-hair style!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, Just beautiful! Another pin-worthy-do! I wish my hair liked aussie moist conditioner, lots of people seem to have really good reviews about it, for my hair its just okay - alas! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel!

      I like the 3 minute moist but not the regular ones because it has more slip and my hair feels better re-hydrated. Try using it on dry hair and see if that helps!

      Delete
  9. Love the updo! I absolutely love Aussie products

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! I wish that the 3 minute moist conditioner came in bigger sizes! Until then---I'll continue to look like a hoarder as I purchase it by the case!

      Delete
  10. You need to do a tutorial for that style. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOOO pretty!
    And I, too, have been dusting/trimming up a storm lately. I'm addicted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that we don't regret it at the end of the year! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  12. Very cute style. What works for one does not always work for others. People must remember that no two heads are a like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is everyone's hair different---everyone's expectations are different. What I do to my hair might actually work for your hair but it's not what you were expecting. At the end of the day---love your hair, enjoy your hair, and celebrate your hair!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!