Saturday, September 14, 2013

Got Dry Roots? Try These Tips...

By: Divachyk of RelaxedThairapy

Dry matted and tangled roots is the stretchers worst enemy. Check out Divachyk's 8 tips to combat breakage:

1. Shed hair removal Allowing shed hairs to remain trapped within your roots can block the road to hydration. Think of it this way, removing shed hairs creates an open path for moisturizer to travel to all the right spots to penetrate down into every inch of your roots.
2. Hydrating spritz Spritzing your roots simply with your favorite water-based hydrating leave-in really kicks things up a notch. You are able to control the stream and get to those trouble spots that are easily missed.
3. Deliberate application Be deliberate and intentional about moisturizing your roots. I have attempted this method with my fingers and a applicator brush. Both methods work great.
4. Work in sections Tackling your entire head at once can be a bit overwhelming and increases the opportunity for uneven product application. Working in sections makes navigating through thick curly roots easier plus it ensures product application is maximized and reaches all areas.
5. Co-washing Hydration city. Co-washing is a creamy dreamy moment and literally softens hair on the spot. Check out My Faves for product ideas!
6. Avoid Shampoo You don't have to shampoo your hair with every wash. Some times, shampoo can be overly drying which leads to tangled, matted and unmanageable hair. Ain't no body got time for that! Opt for a cleansing conditioner as it gets the hair clean without robbing moisture and keeping tangles at bay. Check out My Faves for product ideas!
7. Baggying Simple yet effective. It involves using a plastic processing cap (or equivalent) to cover your head for several hours or even overnight. The process works by using your body heat to generate moisture. This is a great moisture boost throughout the week. The baggy method can be done with or without product. I prefer using product as the baggy magnifies the moisturizer and softens roots.
8. Steaming Steaming is accomplished by using moist heat to open the cuticle and allow better penetration of product. No hair steamer? Don't fret. Check out: How to Steam Hair Without a Steamer!

Suggested Technique:
  1. Moisturize in sections--this separates the hair so that you can get into your roots and moisturize really well.
  2. Applicator tip bottle--use an applicator tip bottle to apply a creamy, moisturizing product to your roots.
  3. LOC method--product application order matters. Liquid, oil then creamy moisturizer. The oil seals in the liquid and the creamy product boosts hydration. Sounds weird but I promise it works.
Which of these tips would you try?

12 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I wonder what brain thought of such great tips? I kid. I kid. Thank you so much for the feature. I sincerely appreciate the love.

    Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha chica! No problem! These are awesome tips! Thanks for letting us feature you!

      Delete
  2. This post came at a good time! I pretty much do all of the above, however I could avoid shampoo more and try the LOC method. I'll try this once I feel like touching my hair again.

    notjustmyhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Aku! I was super skeptical of the LOC method, but I love it now. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. These are excellent tips and I do most of them except cowashing instead I use a non sulfate shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonkabelle! I shampoo at least once a month when I do a protein treatment.

      Delete
  4. Great tips! I think I use them all except applicator bottle and LOC will try it deeper in my stretch when I lose the will to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! These tips will definitely make stretching just a lot more bearable.

      Delete
  5. 1,3,4 & 8 are my HG's. They work really well. The LCO version of the LOC method works really great for me. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like LCO too. I'm sure that there is a difference in the two, but I totally use them interchangeably. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  6. The African Shea butter mixed with different oils is great when you want to maintain your straight hair, or curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Nerline!

      I'd never used "hair butter" until this summer---now I'm totally in love and don't leave the house without a little dab. Finger's crossed that it keeps my ends happy this winter!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!