Thursday, September 26, 2013

Trekking Light | A Guide To Traveling With 5 Products Or Less


SavingOurStrands Approved Travel Kit
This past few months, I've been on the go-go. Up and down the eastern seaboard, from New Jersey to Florida. I try to pack light yet still be thorough. Here's a list of the 5 go to products and tools plus how I keep it organized, while never sporting a boring bun.  
  1. Deep conditioner: Halka Baba de Caracol
  2. Leave in/Co-wash/Detangler: Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
  3. Hair Butter: Koils By Nature Hair and Body Butter or my DIY Kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Butter
  4. Hair Pins: In a tidy portable tin like these from Sallys
  5. Banana Clips: Scunci Banana Hair Clips

Banana Clip Side Tuck on Loose Bantu Curls

For overnight or weekend trips, I can get away with trekking 
with 1000mL or less containers. I picked up this plastic carrying case with 4 empty containers included for less than $2. I was pleasantly surprised that the rest of my mini arsenal fit perfectly. For more than 5 day aways---I pack full bottles. Bonus Tip: When I want to be fancy, I carry a mini container of Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie so that I can sport big (heat free) fluffy frizz-resistant bantu knot curls.

What hair products do you trek with?

Un mil besitos!
KLP

18 comments:

  1. Very Pretty Curls! I'll pack Co-wash Conditioner than can be used as a leave in conditioner, My moisturizer, sealing oil, one or two scrunches and hair pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi! Which co-washing conditioner would you take?

      I love that the JC Too Shea can be used as a co-wash, deep conditioner, and moisturizing leave-in. I have a thing for multipurpose products!

      Delete
  2. I usually travel with my hair in some kind of protective style. I love your packing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of times I start with my hair out and it ends up twisted into a protective style! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I take a scarf for nighttime protection, moisturizer/sealer for hydration/protection and good days hair pins/cut up stockings for bunning. I don't take much else unless I'm staying more than 2 weeks. I don't want to be fooled with hair while traveling.
    Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah a scarf---I guess that's a given for me. I always keep one in my purse! You never know when you might need it!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are better than me, I am an over-packer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you have limited space for packing---you have to get clever! Plus, I have a terrible habit of leaving products behind. If I loose a mini leave-in, I won't be as bummed as if I left a full size bottle. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  5. Love the bantu knots with the banana clip! I never pack shampoo...unless I was going away for a month? I don't know

    notjustmyhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I packed a chelating/clarifying poo when I went on holiday to Florida. The idea of not shampooing after swimming in chlorinated water was too scary...

      Delete
  6. Whenever I travel i'm always sure to take some moisturizer and my bonnet that I sleep in. I need to buy some small travel size containers so I can take more products with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The travel containers that I picked up included 4 mini bottles. I only needed two, but it's good to know that I hypothetically could carry two more products with me and not take up anymore space in my luggage.

      Thanks for stopping by doll!

      Delete
  7. OMG I swear packing is not my forte...I always overpack and not use/wear 1/2 the things in my luggage. I have been working on it and decided to use the same strategy you discussed. Will test it out in winter vacay. Wish me luck!
    Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I travel a lot with my family. We're talking at least 3 weekends of the month, we're on the road, so I have no choice in trying to prevent myself from overpacking. The other good thing is that since I'm not using my regular sized bottles, there's no need to unpack my toiletries bag. Whoop! Packing is hard. Unpacking is the devil!

      Delete
  8. Great post! My travel bag is slightly different but the concept is the same...no need to pack everything in your arsenal when travelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Idk how many full sized products I've left behind/gifted to the hotel cleanup crew because I forgot them. Smh.

      Delete
  9. I will be traveling soon, so this is a very useful post for me! I love that you always have a scarf in your bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a scarf as an accessory tied to my purse. There's a pic of how I do it in my adventures in Georgetown:Even More Big Bad Vacation Hair. You really never know when you'll need that scarf!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!