Friday, October 10, 2014

What To Eat After A Workout | #FitnessFriday



After a workout, I feel energized, proud, and like I could lift a friggin building. #beastmode. I'm also starving! I don't want to eat anything that will undo the work that I just did in the gym, but I also want to fill full and satisfied to prevent myself from caving to snack attacks later in the day.

So, I turned to my trainer for advice on what if anything, should I eat after my workouts. He told me that NOT eating was the absolutely worse thing that I could do. When I go to the gym, I refuse to phone it in and I can feel it afterwards. Even if your snack is small, you have to eat something to aid in muscle recovery. Here are a few of my favorite suggestions from my trainer:


Hummus & Veggies
I love hummus. It's super easy to make,  has 5 ingredients, and tastes so YUMMY! The chickpeas are chocked full of fiber and protein. The extra virgin olive oil is know to lower your risk of heart disease, and garlic is an antioxidant.


Source: www.gotchocolatemilk.com

Chocolate Milk
When I don't have time to whip up something in my kitchen, the quickest easiest thing for me to grab is a glass of chocolate milk. Milk has protein and simple carbs that are easily and quickly absorbed into your body. Plus, I'm totally a chocaholic; why would I choose anything else?!?


Eggs
I'm a big egg person. I could literally have a different egg dish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because they are totally versatile. Eggs are stupid cheap, high in protein, and I heard that they have a ton of biotin which is known around these parts to support faster growing and thicker hair. Two birds, one stone y'all!

What do you munch on after a workout?

Besitos!
KLP

The new and IMPROVED #FitnessFriday launches in November, starting with a FITNESS CHALLENGE! No worries, we'll share all of the details in a bit. So definitely stay tuned for more information. In  the  meantime, you can still link up with either my blog bestie Ebony  from  www.longing4length.com or myself on Fridays!





6 comments:

  1. Immediately after your training session you should eat something quite high in sugar. Like an orange, fruit smoothie, raisins. Then a while later, you should eat something more substantial like pasta and chicken or fish and rice and veggies of course. The idea is that you need to give the body energy AND material to build up what you broke down during exercise.

    I wouldn't recommend chocolate milk. Pure milk is a very good thing but chocolate milk has several unnecessary things added, like artificial sweeteners and flavour and will just give your body things it will either have to spend resources getting rid of or it will be stored in your body. If you don't like the taste of milk, mix it with some fresh berries and a pinch of sugar for a delicious smoothie. Three ingredients that your body can use every single of :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! Thanks for your feedback chica! I love chocolate milk after my workout because its convenient (my sports club has them in their vending machines), fairly low on calories (vs the other protein loaded sports drinks out there), and low fat. You're totally right---an all natural strawberry milk is soo much better for you but its better than the alternative: Not eating/drinking something.

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. I need to do a better job at focusing on my pre and post working foods. I find myself feeling very sluggish post workout...like, I needa nap sluggish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually hyped after a workout; Especially my AM sessions. But my afternoon sessions---those ones I struggle with. After a long day at work, hitting the gym, and chasing after minions, I'm in desperate need of a NAP!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I love hummus as a spread on my sandwiches and wraps. What about you?

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!