Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How To Flat Iron Relaxed Hair


Using direct heat frequently, leads to serious dryness in my hair. I've learned that when my hair is dry, it's most certainly susceptible to more breakage thus preventing me from retaining length. Ain't no body about that life! So last year, I challenged myself to put down the flat iron and learn to love my air dried hair. Air dried hair create the fluffiest buns, most voluminous bantu knots, and sexiest twist outs, but every 3 or 4 months, I get the itch for some straight hair. Here's how I straighten my relaxed hair without breakage:
  1. Deep condition: Soft, smooth, sleek flat ironed hair starts with moisturized hair. A flat iron doesn't even come close to my hair unless it's been recently washed and properly deep conditioned. Flat ironing will zap water from you hair so your best bet is to amp up your hair's moisture before. My all time favorite rich conditioner is Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm . No matter what, this conditioner delivers on moisture every time.
  2. Perfect Leave Ins: The best leave ins for straightening your hair are light weight, absorb easily, and still detangle like no body's business. I like to use a moisturizing leave-in + protein heat protectant serum when I flat iron. It's A 10! and Chi Silk Infusion are my go tos. Always make sure that your leave in's play well together. When I straightened my hair last week, I attempted to use Sedu Anti-Frizz Polishing Treatment with Moroccan Argan Oil as my serum. It was a miserable #fail. It just didn't play well with the It's A 10. I literally had to re-wash my hair and it wasn't fun. 
  3. Cool Air Tension dry: Comb attachments are the epitome of high manipulation. Hot high heat blow drying will take your hair from moisturized to desert dry in a matter of minutes. Using this deadly combo frequently pre-hhj left my hair in a miserable state. Today, I when I blow dry, I use my blower on the cool setting and apply a little tension to my roots so that they dry stretched and smooth. If you don't have a blower with a cool setting, check out the Solia Professional Ceramic Ionic Hair Dryer. It offers amazeball drying time and no holding of the cool air button. All you have to do is set it and forget it!
  4. Flat iron: Your flat iron of choice is just as important as your technique. I've trusted in my Solia flat iron for years but last time that I straightened my hair, I tested out Ladies & Gents Ferrum Professional Hair Styler. It has a creates straight hair without being a volume serial killer or drying out my hair. This flat iron has one ceramic plate with a satiny fabric in place of the other ceramic plate. Think: Less heat, more shine, and more moisture retention. It's been a week since I flat ironed and my hair is still super soft. I'm not sure if this iron had anything to do with it, but it totally didn't make it worse! I coupled the Ferrum iron with my Sedu Carbon Flat Iron Comb, to get super straight hair with only two passes (one just for my roots and another for the entire length) using this comb/chase technique shown by Ms. Kibbi:

 
Using your flat iron frequently on your relaxed hair, will definitely cause some heartache, but you don't have to give up on it completely! Like all things in life---moderation is key. I'm curious, what are your tips and tricks to sexy smooth flat ironed hair?

Besitos!
KLP

    18 comments:

    1. Using heat on deep conditioned hair is a must for me too! I definitely try and apply my leave-ins with a light hand or my hair ends up a lank, weighed down mess. Great post KLP x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Same here Lesley! I love both Its a 10 and Silk Infusion because I don't have to be all super heavy handed with them to get great results. Which is awesome because that stuff ain't cheap!

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    2. It's a good thing when you can flat iron your hair without causing any damage. I can tell it has worked for you. Your hair is healthy.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Here here! Every step you mentioned is a must-do for me. I like to use two leave-ins/ heat protectants too, but one before blow-drying and the other before flat-ironing.

      Abbi of BelowtheWaist

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's a good idea Abbi! I use both before blow drying. It's a 10 is awesome at detangling and Silk Infusion is perfect for smoothing out my hair.

        Delete
    4. I have grown to love Redken Smooth Glide Heat Lock! :) A lil on my hair before I flat iron....and vaaalaaaaa! :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. You're straight hair looks gorge! Since I rollerset religiously, for me I'm already dealing with pretty much stretched out and smooth hair before I whip out the flat iron and it helps me to keep the temp of the iron lower and to only use a single pass on every little section as I'm ironing. I usually apply the heat protectants before I even start roller setting to ensure a very light and bouncy straight style.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Your rollersets always turn out beautiful! I wish that I could convince myself to sit under the dryer for that long. I know that they'd most certainly help stretch my hair.

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
      2. Thanks hon. I actually don't own a dryer. I either air dry my hair whilst in the rollers and doing other things around the house or I whip out the blow dryer and use that (on cool setting) to dry my hair. I grew up roller setting and on any given Sunday you would have found me, my mom and my sister all in rollers in the afternoon whilst reading or watching TV or gardening etc. So for me, as long as I'm out of the rollers by bedtime,it's cool.

        Delete
    6. Great post!!! It's so true about deep conditioning first.

      Back in the day that comb attachment was my everythang

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Girl! You and me both! When I was done, I'd look around and wonder why half of my hair was on the floor. LOL!

        Delete
    7. Great post. I only use heat (roller set) in my relaxer touch up days. your straight hair makes me want to get a flat iron to use for straightening hair. When I finally get to, I will use your tips.

      http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If roller sets get your hair as straight as you want it---stick to it! I'm just too lazy to rollerset on a consistent basis. Ha-ha!

        Delete
    8. Great tips KLP, deep conditioning first is a must for me too. When I next invest in a blow dryer I will look out for one with a touch once cool button. Thanks for sharing

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That touch once cool setting is the bomb.com! Especially for days when I don't have time to air dry so I tension blow dry on cool!

        Thanks for stopping by doll!

        Delete

    We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!