Friday, November 15, 2013

A Guide To Making Your Bantu Knots Last






Although those curls are totally worth it, ain't no body got time to be re-twisting up bantu knots every night to keep their curls defined and fluffy. Here's how I keep my set looking fresh for at least 3 days and what I do when things don't go according to plan:




1. Make sure that you allow enough drying time- My curls in the middle of my crown always take longer to dry then their counterparts. When you unravel before your curls are dry---just know you're bound to look like a frizzy chia pet by the end of the day.

2. Your cocktail matters: This is the only time that I'm strict about order of operations-- Moisturizer + Oil + Holding product--is the key to gorgeous curls that last. Now, I'm all about using what your hair likes but just be sure that the products that you use together like each other. Some moisturizers don't like some oils and some holding products loose their minds when compounded with some moisturizers. Date a few cocktails until you find one that you like. My current fave for long lasting curls is Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, my Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

NaturallyCurly Guide to the Pineapple
3. Pineapple your heart out: I hang my head upside down and pull all of my curls to the crown of my hair then tie with a satin scarf with the knot in the front. Some days it works like a charm---other days meh...not so well. Whatever you do--don't smooth or stretch your curls. They will be flat in the morning.There are tons of pineappling methods (check out this pintutorial from naturallycurly.com), figure out what works for you and stick to it.

4. Moisturize and seal in the morning: When I moisturize before pineappling my curls turn into waves. But not moisturizing is a sin---so I just moisturize in the morning once I take down my scarf. It breathes life into my curls--which are usually looking a hot wonky mess by morning.

5. When in doubt, Bun Effect it: By day 3/4, my curls look more like waves---so I work them into a faux bob or side bun. Old or failed Bantu curls are a perfect base for an ultra-cute updo!

What are your tips to making Bantu knot curls last?

Besitos!
KLP

19 comments:

  1. I need to try bantu knots again. Mine just looked a mess when I did them early in my journey! Yours look so uniformed and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone that conquered bantu knots on their first try. Trust me, I've had my fair share of big fat fails!

      Delete
    2. I did. I guess that's just me though...

      Delete
    3. Woot! You better get it chica!! For me---it took a while to get the hang of twisting the knots!

      Delete
  2. Great post! It's been so long since I tried bantu knots. They either would still be damp in the middle, like you said, or they don't hold, or my hair gets majorly tangled - a lot of reasons basically!
    Though this posts makes me want to try them again soon. I'll definitely be following your tips when I do x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned (and re-learned) to dry complete, use a trusted hold product, and always air dry/detangle before installing my knots. I just know that bantu knot curls would look amazing on you chica!

      Delete
  3. bantu knots are so cute but they are a pain to sleep with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I notice that some of my knots are a little tight---so I just loosen the coil and I'm fine!

      Delete
  4. This is great advice, i need to give bantu knots a go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bantu curls would look simply amazing on you! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I got it perfect the first day only to wake up to frizzy curls. But smoother than your second day. I put up a band and pushed them together. Not a bun yet. Day three may be a bun. Depends on wat I wake up to. Then day four, i plan to make a puff. i would brush my edges up with the sides of a tooth brush to avoid breakage or sleep with twists , because on day four my hair needs moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me a voluminous bantu knot bun. There is nothing in the world like it! Thanks for sharing your tips Edidiong!

      Delete
  6. I'm a transitioner. The first time I had bantu knots it lasted for 2 weeks I kid you not! Perfect as day one. No pineappled or anything needed just a bonnet. But when I gave it a try on my own, my relaxed ends would look like a wet dog in the morning. I gotta figure out what my friend did cause it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! When you find out let us all know

      Delete
    2. 2 weeks!!! WOW. Now that's a secret that I wanna know too! Thanks for stopping by ladies!

      Delete
  7. your knot out is awesome! I never get past day 1 (here's the best bantu knot out I've ever had: http://www.finenaturalhairandfaith.com/best-bantu-knot-out-edens-heart-review/ My hair looked so straight and nearly relaxed looking). I also have to straighten my hair in order to eliminate my very obvious natural curl pattern. Therefore, I dont get to do these too often.

    never considered the order of my products. next time i try a knot out, I will take that into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bantu knots are awesome. You offered some wonderful tips and I will be sharing this on my FB fan page later this week!

    Jay of www.relaxedthairapy.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!