Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Why I Deep Condition Overnight


In all honesty, I stumbled upon over night conditioning. Most days, I don't get to twirling around in my hair until after the sun sets. I have two minions who are no good to anyone unless they get 9 hours of sleep. My hooded dryer isn't exactly what I would consider whisper quiet. My heating cap was slowly dying. I was pretty exhausted but I knew that my hair needed a good moisturizing #washdayexperience. Just leaving my deep conditioner siting on my hair overnight would have to do. Months later, I'm still loving it and my hair feels great.

So here's my disclaimer. This technique, like everything else in the healthy hair care arena, won't work for everyone. One of my all time fave bloggers Shelli from Hairscapades hates it with a passion (You can read about here: Why I Stopped Deep Conditioning Overnight). It's your hair and your life, figure out what works the best for you. With that legalise jargon out of the way, here are the semi-aka-not at all-scientific reasons that it works for me and might work for you too:


Does your hair love moisture?
Mine does. It loves it a lot. My hair would run off to Vegas and marry a sexy slim bottle of Matrix Hydrasource conditioner if it wasn't attached to my head. #dontjudgeme. No, I'm serious. I see that judgy look alll up on your face while you're reading this. I'm dead serious. I noticed that with deep conditioning overnight, I don't have to moisturize and seal as often throughout the week. Which is great because between you and I, I forget to. A LOT.


Do you have a protein rich regimen?
We will debate about protein products, how to use them and why from now until the end of the world ladies. All I know is that protein helps my hair. It's helped me thwart breakage and I'm not so sure that I'd be at MBL without it. I've written about protein a billion times (in my head) and I few times here, here, and here. Protein is like wine. Sure it can be nice on it's own---but when you balance it with the perfect meal, all bets are off. Protein needs moisture to balance it out.

Are you short on time?
As a mother, wife, employee, friend, church leader, workout warrior..omgosh this list could go on forever so I'll stop now...balancing it all and having happy hair is hard. Most days, it doesn't go my way. Most days, my hair is piled on top of my head in a not-chic-or-trendy-at-all-bun. I have to multitask and over night conditioning does just that for me.

So now you know my perfectly imperfect reasons why I deep conditioner overnight. Here's how I do it:

  1. Detangle- I always detangle my hair pre-wash. When I don't it's disaster. I love using extra virgin coconut oil to help loosen single strand knots. 
  2. Apply- I've found that my best overnight conditioning sessions are when I apply the conditioner to unwashed hair. No excess water to drip and be all annoying too. 
  3. Protect- Cover your hair with a plastic cap AND a scarf. Not your good scarf, but that old raggedy cotton one. You know...just in case. 
  4. Sleep- My favorite part! My overnight deep conditioning session last for about 5 hours. I know, I know. I should probably get more sleep than that. But...well...I don't. Ha-ha!
  5. Rinse- In the morning, rinse your hair to find super moisturized buttery strands.
Can you over-condition your hair?
Moisture overload is real, just like protein overload. If you hair feels gummy, mushy, or too elastic. Meh. Overnight conditioning worked too well for you. Grab a medium protein conditioner like Joico K-Pak, apply and let sit for 10-15 minutes with heat.

Will my scalp get gross?
Maybe. I don't typically apply conditioner to my scalp. But if your scalp starts to itch---that's a sure fire sign that your hair doesn't like overnight conditioning. So wash it out ASAP. And if for some reason, you're brave enough to try it again, try applying castor oil to your scalp first. If should act as a barrier to protect your scalp from the moisture.

So, what's your take? Is overnight deep conditioning for you or for the birds?

Besitos!
KLP

20 comments:

  1. I used to do it but my scalp would start itching so badly after washing the conditioner out. :-( I'm not sure why it would happen.

    Don't Touch The Hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! That really sucks. I suppose that your scalp doesn't like being exposed to moisture for extended periods of time. If you're brave enough to give it a go again, maybe you can base your scalp with castor oil and be careful not to apply the conditioner directly to your scalp.

      I'm glad that you tried it though! You never know until you try right?

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  2. I'm a fan of deep conditioning overnight. My hair responds so well to DC'ing overnight I'm not sure why I don't do it more often. Its such a treat each time I do it. I can always expect soft Moisturized hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1 For overnight deep conditioning Sunshyne! What's your fave conditioner?

      Delete
  3. I'm scared of over moisturized hair and dripping conditioner on my pillow case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't experienced over-moisturized hair or an icky morning pillowcase yet!

      Delete
  4. Girl I LOVE overnight deep conditioning! Seriously. I'm not even being dramatic right now. I think I actually started doing it for some of the same reasons you listed. I've done my deep conditioning & even my pre-poo overnight and my hair thanks me for both every.single.time. I actually saw your infographic on IG earlier today and someone implied it was bad for your hair. Not mine I say! My hair loves it just like yours does. But at the same time, my hair eats both moisture & protein up with no threat of overload. So, I def understand why it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not for everyone. But it works like a dream on my hair!

      Delete
  5. Do you wash your hair afterwards or simply rinse and style? I'm a fan of pre-pooing overnight when I'm far into a stretch. Detangling was a breeze even when I was 9 months post relaxer and wash day was MUCH easier. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rinse and style! I only use shampoo once--maybe twice a month.

      Delete
  6. My hair loves it! Really makes wash day go a lot smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love overnight deep conditioning too. I've been doing it for pretty much all my HHJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To get the same results, I'd probably have to sit under the dryer for 1-2 hours. Girl...I definitely don't have time for that! LOL!

      Delete
  8. I keep forgetting to deep condition overnight! I use the Matrix Balm as a leave in, Love IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niceeee! I just picked up the Hydrasource creamy leave-in. Oddly---it feels like watered down Hydrasouce conditioner. Hmph---I could have done that on my own! LOL!

      Delete
  9. I used to use Matrix (Biolage) products but they all smell the same. I'm not even sure why that bothered me lol. My favorite all around conditioner is Joico Moisture Recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the Biolage scent so it doesn't bother me at all! Joico Moisture Recovery is bomb.com! But I have trouble finding it in the store like I used to...

      Delete
  10. Yes I definitely live for overnight deep conditions too. Like you I don't get to wake up and just do my hair with the little ones running around so the prepoo method works in my favor too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes as a mom---you just gotta do what you gotta do right?!? Although, I can't deny that I wouldn't be doing the same thing if I didn't have minions. LOL! I'm still lazy at the end of the day!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!