Wednesday, June 04, 2014

[Tutorial] How To Use Caruso Steam Rollers on Relaxed and Transitioning Hair | The #WashDayExperience



My protective style last week was super cute but I had to take it down after 2 days because 1---no protective style ever lasts long in my hair and 2---my 90 minute Spin class. #enoughsaid right? My hair felt oddly dry. I tried baggying---that didn't work. So I had to cowash---but didn't have time to properly detangle. By the time that wash day rolled around, my hair pretty much hated me. I had to clarify and do a protein treatment so that we could get back on good terms:
  1. Pre-Shampoo- I gently detangled with my fingers and slathered on extra virgin coconut oil. 
  2. Moisturizing Shampoo- with diluted Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo applied with an applicator bottle.
  3. Protein Treatment- with Nexxus Emergencee; the world's easiest to apply protein treatment. I let it air dry for an hour or so while I did chores.
  4. Extreme deep condition- Next, I stood under the spray of my shower for about 5 minutes to rinse the Emergencee completely. I deep conditioned with Jessicurl Deep Treatment on the length of my hair. Then I massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my hooded dryer for an hour and left it in overnight.
  5. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  6. Air Dried- to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  7. Leave ins- I used Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, Pura Body Naturals
    Pura Body Naturals Cupuacu Hair Butter to seal + a dab of Chi Silk Infusion (heat protectant) and then "faux" banded my hair to stretch roots while it dried.


Results:  

Jeni came up with some awesome themes for your #washdayexperience in June! Whilst, it's not required, but we thought that it would be fun to see how everyone approaches the theme differently and pick up new or improved tips/techniques. Lord knows that I need help with my braid outs! First up: heatless curl week and I did not do a set of bantu knots! *Collective gasp* Yep. I'm kinda proud of myself y'all. *pops colla--wait--I don't have a collar--shrugs instead...* Inspired by a conversation with my girl Ebony from Longing4Length (and a sweet 15% off coupon for Sallys), I finally invested in a set of Caruso Steam Rollers. Caruso Steam Rollers use steam to create curls without direct heat at lighting speed and is said to be ridiculously healthy for your hair. After one use---I'd definitely agree. My curls were moisturized bouncy and super shiny plus it only took 30 minutes to set! My bantu knots laugh in the face of 30 minute setting time. LOL.

This month on the #washdayexperience

To preserve my curls---and keep my roots stretched---I'll probably roll the sections up in satin foam rollers and cover with a bonnet. I don't know how well they'll last, but I'm kinda digging steam rollers. What do you think? Love it or Leave it?

Besitos!
KLP




The Wash Day Experience Linkup RULES

  1. Healthy Hair is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.
  2. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button below which links back to The Wash Day Experience page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.
  3. Encourage the wash day experience contributor that linked up directly before you with an inspiring  comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; comment love for everyone! 






28 comments:

  1. Hmmm 30 min set time, I need to get with those caruso rollers! Amazing results, now I was about to ask how caruso were heat free, didn't know they used a steam setting method, I woud have bought them ages ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how this set would turn out. Almost everyone blows out their hair first to make the curls less puffy, but I'm glad that I didn't. #noheat for the win!

      Thanks for stopping by Yvonne! Love the braid out chica!

      Delete
  2. Girl you got me hooked on that Matrix Shampoo. It reminds me of the movie every time I grab the bottle. I love your curls, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline! I'm so happy that Matrix is still working for you!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful results girly!! I adore my caruso rollers. They are AWESOMENESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I've been sleeping on Caruso rollers for so long. Welpa---maybe I'm just cheap. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  4. Your curls are pretty! I love the idea of steam rollers. I saw some on sale at Ulta last week and now I really wish I would have picked them up. Curious to see how long they last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh...the results didn't last all that long. *sad face* I guess that I have a new mission: "How Make your Caruso roller set curls last" LOL!

      Delete
  5. Before reading your post I looked at your curls and thought, that is a really good Bantu knot out set lol. These curls look great on you! I may have to add some steam rollers to my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Caruso steam rollers---but I'm not in LOVE with them just yet. Ha-ha! I still love me some bantu knots!

      Delete
  6. Girl I'm having a serious case of curl-envy!!! I've had Caruso steamer on my Amazon wishlist for about a year... I forgot all about em. lol Your curls are fierce and I see that shine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammy! The shine was from the combo of Chi Silk Infusion and Pura Body Natural's Hair Butter.

      Delete
  7. I officially need steam rollers in my life! Love your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your curls are so beautiful! Now I'm adding these to my wishlist, too lol. And I'm washing my hair this evening and hoping my bantu knots come out pretty enough to post. Will be linking up in the AM ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for Bantu knots! I can't wait to see your results chica!

      Delete
  9. Your results looks awesome. *Put caruso rollers on my wish list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that Caruso rollers were so simple to use?!? But making the curls stay?---well that's gonna take some time to figure out. LOL.

      Delete
  10. Yours curls came out great, Caruso rollers is on my wish list for next year lol, I have myself on a ban, trying not to purchase anything hair related until I use up my stash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I think that I was on a ban too. *shrugs* Whoops!

      Delete
  11. Your caruso curls came out great! I aboslutely love the style! I think I'm officially tempted to recreate that type of curl within the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtnea! I was so in love your Side Swept Caruso curls from a few weeks ago---You're totally my inspiration!

      Delete
  12. Your curls came out great I love my Caruso rollers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay...so am I the last one to the Caruso steam roller party Keoshia? LOL! I've obviously slept on these rollers for a VERY long time!

      Delete
  13. I haven't tried them yet KLP :-)... your curls came out so gorge! I"m in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I loved your banut knots. I'm so happy that everyone is having fun with the June themes!

      Delete
  14. Those curls look great!
    Yalanda @ Laugh Anyway
    http://welaughanyway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!