Saturday, August 24, 2013

SOS Kitchenista: Tangerine Vanilla Hair and Body Whipped Butter

Top: Ingredients | Left: Cocoa, Shea, and Mango Butter | Right: Mixing in Action
If you're an SOS regular, then you know that I've mentioned wanting to DIY some hair butter. A few weeks ago, I feel in love with Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair and Body Butter (Heavenly Delight). I ran out of my sample size; Because KBN is relocating, I couldn't repurchase more. And yes---this made me a very sad chica. Anywho, I loved this hair butter too much to wait any longer, so last Sunday, I pulled out my hand mixer and went to work! As soon as their website is back to business, I'll repurchase. In the meantime-- here's how I whipped up my own: 

Tangerine Vanilla Hair and Body Whipped Butter 

    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup Shea Butter
    1/2 cup Cocoa Butter

    1/2 cup Mango Butter
    2 tbsp Jamaican Black Castor Oil
   
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
   
1/2 cup Sweet Almond Oil
    2 tbsp Vitamin E Oil

    1/2 cup Aloe Vera Gel
    Tangerine Essential Oil

    Vanilla Oil (I purchased from my local farmer's market)

    Directions:

  1. Melt the solid butters together over a double boiler (pot of boiling water and a glass/metal bowl).
  2. Remove from heat. 
  3. Using a hand mixer add the remaining ingredients, except the tangerine oil. 
  4. Mix until completely blended (no lumps, hard bits, and homogenous color) and add Tangerine oil. 
  5. As the blend cools, keep mixing until light and fluffy. Simple enough right?

How does this kitchenista verison stack up to KBN's butter:


So um---The fragrance is fantastic! I told my bestie that after using, I smelt like a Florida Orange Grove. She replied " Your so weird." <shrugs> That was totally a compliment, she just doesn't know it yet. Ha-ha! I love light, sweet, and citrus-y scents. The downside (imo) is that the scent doesn't linger as long as my KBN butter. The consistency is as light and fluffy as the KBN butter, but I wasn't quite able to incorporate the mango butter as well as I would have liked. I've noticed a few lumps in the mix. Will it prevent me from using it? Nope---I just rub a little between my palms, wait for it to melt, then apply to my hair (or body). A little goes a long way and putting it in a tub makes access to the product super easy, just like the KBN butter. I used it last wash day to seal and then every other day since. No real complaints. I do notice much more shine with the KBN butter than with my knockoff, but I think this can be cured by adding more oils to the next batch. I think that I'll also add a little aloe vera into the next batch to lighten things up even more. I'm using this batch for my curls this weekend--fingers crossed for fabulousity!

My Verdict:  
I'll definitely make this again. It was fun experimenting and getting to put exactly what I want in a product. Of course, I'm probably still buying the BIG JAR of KBN butter once the site is back up for business! My wallet hopes that it will be on sale!

Have you ever tried a whipped hair butter?

Besitos!
KLP

9 comments:

  1. Your butter looks like something you could sell! Great ingredients! I tried a whipped butter and it didn't work for me. Mainly because my hair hates butters. I gave it to my mom and it worked way better for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Age. I'm no sells-woman. Shea can be hard to work with, but in conjunction with all of the other ingredients, my hair is in love!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I need to try this! I love the smell of oranges x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a shea-mango butter that I love. Will have to share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need some vanilla oil in my life. Your mix sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you purchase your shea butter from?

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!