Thursday, August 29, 2013

Battle of the Leave-Ins

Battle of the Leave-Ins
A good leave-in can make or break your hair's shine, elasticity, and most importantly---your moisture swag.  My hair has been  dating a few leave-ins here and there, in search of it's ultimate soul mate. It's been a fun discovery process that I intend on sharing over a few posts. Before we get started, let me give you my perfect leave in run down:

What makes a moisturizer good...to me?
  1. Hydration- My forever leave-in has to be the boost of moisture that wards of breakage in drought-like conditions and maintaining my post wash day moisture levels. I love my texlaxed hair because it's sassy, big, and very temperamental. The ideal leave in has to roll with the punches, warding off frizz and fuzz.
  2. Nourishment- Read: ingredients that prevent the evaporation of said moisturizing product, preventing me from having to re-up daily. I need a margin of error for when I forget to moisturize at night and want to crash in bed---life is always trying its best to sabotage my hair.
  3. Absorption- My strands have to want to soak up every bit of the moisturizer that I add. I'm not about that sticky-repelling-coated-icky feeling-hair-life. Yep. I just made that up. But y'all know what I mean. I'm all about smooth and soft strands. If it just sits on top of my hair and looks back at me stupid---it will be disqualified immediately! I'm looking for silkiness when spread plus a thick and creamy consistency. This leave in also has to play nice with whatever I choose to seal my hair with. Right now, I'm all about butters.
A little about my mane:
  1. My strands are thick- Super thick. Many a bobby pin have been lost for days thick.
  2. My strands are inconsistent- Thanks to my last relaxer, the back half of my hair looks like I'm transitioning. I have about an inch of super curly, 3-4 inches of not quite super curly, with the rest being wavy fluff. Not a bad thing. I actually kinda like it. But this leave in will have a few textures to keep muy contenta.
  3. My strands are hydrophilic- Water loving. All day. Everyday. The first ingredient will have to be water.
If you are a regular SOS_Hair-ista, then you've seen these leave-ins here and there before. They were great contestants and I would have loved to keep them all, but there can only be one (for now...lol) winner!

Our first contestant: Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner

Besitos!
KLP

12 comments:

  1. Now that I'm 12weeks post my hair prefers regular conditioners as a leave in. I'm using Aussie Moist Conditioner and my hair air dries so soft and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I've gotta add that one to my list! Thanks Tomi!

      Delete
    2. Hi KLP, here is a link for my review http://diaryofarelaxedchic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/product-review-aussie-hair-insurance.html?m=1

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the suggestion Yvonne! This one looks good!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finding your perfect mate! Its not a task to be taken lightly! :D

    My fine strands love Aussie Hair Miracle Insurance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that one Yvonne. Can you send me a link to your review?

      Delete
  3. for me the non plus ultra of a good leave-in is also that it can be double as a daily moisturizer. I'm a product junkie when it comes to conditioners and deep conditioners but I prefer to only have one - maximum two (one for protein and one for only moisture) leave-ins in my arsenal.
    currently I'm still searching/reading reviews on different ones because I haven't find the holy grail leave-in/moisturizer yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is temperamental; sometimes it loves this---other times it loves that. I just want a product that my hair will love all the time. Is that too much to ask for? Ha-ha! Thanks for commenting Bebe!

      Delete
  4. Ohh battle of the leave in's ! I need to stay tuned to this because I need a really good moisturizer to try. I have to say I've been sort of lazy when it comes to my hair so this may push me back into gear! :)

    Zauni | The Kind Side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have staples for all of the other parts of my regimen except a good leave in. Until now! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. I too am on the quest to find a good moisturizer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that our battle posts help point you in the right direction! Thanks for stopping by darling!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!