Saturday, August 31, 2013

[Review] Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar Leave In Conditioner (Battle of the Leave-Ins)

Pomegranate Guava
Price: $16 for 8oz

Can be purchased at: 
Karen's Body Beautiful/Select Target Brick & Mortar/Complimentary sample received at BHK Expo

Promises: 
Detangles. Softens. Moisturizes. Works best for- Medium thick to loose curls, relaxed, color treated or dry hair.

Ingredients: 
Purified Water, Grapeseed, Jojoba and Coconut Oils, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Yucca, Horsetail, Nettle, & Melissa Extracts, Essential and/or Fragrance Oil, Ascorbic Acid & Vitamin E
Directions: 
Apply a generous amount to hair when damp or dry to refresh and moisturize. Can be used several times a week or daily.  Use before you apply heat (flat ironing, blow drying, etc.), since this product is water based.
My Thoughts: 
I received this 2oz sample as a part of an awesome swag bag during at the BHK Expo back In July. After chatting with the KBB reps during the expo about my hair's needs, they recommended the Hair Nectar line of moisturizers. I checked out the ingredients. Water first---perfect. Grapeseed, Jojoba and Coconut oil---even better. Vegetable Glycerin---Hmm..jury's out on that one. I haven't had much experience with glycerin. All that I do know is that many discourage its use during cooler weather. Of course my weird self had to smell it. Yeah. I did it right in front of the KBB reps. (I've got to work on my home training.) OMGosh--- Pomegranate Guava---I love you. No joke. The scent of this moisturizer is amazing. It's right up there with hibiscus coconut scent from Shea Moisture that I love more than puppies, glitter, and rainbows combined--and I really LOVE rainbows. Never have I met a natural product with a better scent. 
Aside from the scent, I love Hair Nectar's consistency. It absorbs into my hair instantly, leaving all three textures almost plumped, fat, and full with moisture. I was a little shocked that my hair felt so hydrated but light. I've applied to damp hair and completely dry hair with the same results- smooth, shiny, soft tresses. I can't speak much to its detangling properties, but I can say that my hair stayed tamer longer (read: little to no SSKs during my next wash session) with this leave in than many others that I've tried in the past. There were days when I didn't really feel like I needed to moisturize but I really wanted to. (Blame the intoxicating scent chicas) Even with daily use, my hair didn't feel coated or weighed down. With each use, my roots did feel refreshed, light and fluffy all over again. It spreads evenly, I never needed a lot to reap its full benefits, and best of all---it plays so well with my hair butter. Using this product as the "moisture" component of my bantu knot cocktail was a success each and every time. I'm not sure if the winning ingredients are the oil blend or the glyercin but either way, I'm not complaining. I started using this at 2-3 weeks post, so it didn't get as much testing as Jessicurl deep into a stretch but the back half of my hair is just barely processed and loved this hair nectar.
My only gripe is THAT PRICE. Yes, the ingredients are top notch, but the price tag on a full size bottle hurts. It's the pricest of all of leave ins in this battle. Good thing that a little goes a long way. My 2oz sample lasted for a month. Thus, the 17oz full size bottle that I'm craving should last at least 8 months. (Is my math is right y'all?--I have a BA in English---not Math. If that's wrong don't sue me. #highereducation) If it can last for that long, then maybe a $24/bottle price isn't that scary. I think...

Has anyone else tried KBB before?

Besitos!
KLP

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the smell of her hair nectars but I didn't like how they made my hair feel. It went on well but it never felt as though it absorbed. I wish it did because the smell is just that amazing. I wish I could bottle it and wear it as a perfume!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The scent is Ah-amazing! That's so disappointing that it didn't absorb well.

      Delete
  2. Judging by the ingredients, it looks like a decent leave-in. I have heard really great reviews on this product, but Idk if I'm willing to pay that price.

    www.beautinwisdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price is a hard pill to shallow. Had it been more reasonable, I think that Hair Nectar would have KO'd the other contestants. Considering that I'd be using it daily to moisturize,I'm a little concerned at how much I'd be using.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!