Friday, November 01, 2013

Using Protein to Maximize Your Length Retention

Top: April 2012 | Bottom: September 2013

I used to focus on thwarting breakage. I had ridiculously over-processed ends because I was relaxing root to tip---every touch-up. *shudders* My first protein treatment was Aphogee 2-Step. Although it smelt like death, but it definitely worked. I also used a protein leave in every day, as time passed---I started to notice that my hair felt stiff and didn't have its usual "roll bounce swag." It actually took me a long time to realize that although my hair needed protein---too much of a good thing wasn't so great. Am I protein sensitive? Nope. I think that all types of curly hair can and benefit from protein. Yet with all things in life, how you put it together and what you use matters. Here's a run down of the protein products that I use, what type of protein it has and why they're awesome:

Nexxus Emergencee: Extreme Breakage defender

Protein Power- Collagen Amino Acids and Hydrolyzed Elastin (Think elasticity)
If you love the strengthening properties of Aphogee 2-Step, but like me, loathe the smell and consistency, then you'll love Nexxus Emergencee. The scent is mild and the formula is thick. No runnies here! It dries quickly without the addition of heat and makes my strands felt more swollen---almost thicker. I use it at least once a month after clarifying to ensure that the protein bonds to my stands. Always follow with the most moisturizing conditioner + heat that you own to thwart that icky stiff feeling

Halka Baba de Caracol: Balanced
Protein Power: Hydrolyzed wheat protein and Cropute Earth-snail extract (Think increased moisture retention) 
I see that judgey glare. Snail slime amiga? Yes. Do not knock it until you try it boo! Snail slime is only protein---a natural one too! It's not much different from the protein that you'd get from an egg. And you're not eating it, you're just conditioning your hair with it. This conditioner always leaves my hair feeling soft, resilient, and strong. It's what I would call balanced. Things get even better when you add heat.

Chi Silk Infusion: Leave In
Protein Power: Hydrolyzed Silk Protein (Think daily protective barrier)
Whereas liquid protein leave ins I've learned to use in moderation, I can't get enough of this silky serum. I love the smoothness, shine, and tameability that it gives my hair. I've used it in tons of different ways all with fabulous results: 
  • To lock in moisture during a pre-poo
  • To aid in protecting the previously relaxed portions of my hair during touchups
  • To assist in detangling
  • To strengthen my hair while using direct heat
  • To provide a daily protein/strengthening treatment to my ends
  • To provide shine and softness
While protein is only one factor preventing breakage and aiding in length retention, you have to figure out which ones work best for your hair. 

Besitos!
KLP

    12 comments:

    1. I need to find a good protein treatment myself! I haven't done one in months (hangs head in shame). I'll see what I can find tomorrow at the beauty supply store!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Good luck doll! If you're looking for a rich protein packed conditioner, try ApHogee Intensive Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor. I still love that stuff and it's available at your nearest Sallys! Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    2. great review you just convinced me to try out this product with all these benefits you listed. good job girl.
      XOXO

      http://ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Chi Silk Infusion has a hefty price tag but a little goes a long way and one full size bottle lasts me for about 6 months. It's totally worth it think of it in price/per use. Thanks for your comment Uchenna!

        Delete
    3. I love CHI. It is my favorite leave-in and heat protectant. I have been eyeing the Baba de Caracol for a while, but Im never quite sure about it. I see it is worth a try.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Baba de Caracol is aha-mazing. I've been using it for about 3 1/2 years and it never ceases to fail!

        Delete
    4. Replies
      1. When I first started my hhj, Aphogee products were all that I used!

        Delete
    5. I'm definitely trying this, though I haven't decided on a product yet x

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're ends are great! Using protein layering will probably only make them better!

        Delete
    6. Oh Lawwd! My arch-enemy right now lol. That seems like a lot of protein, do you actually use protein in some form everyday?

      Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nope. I'm not a daily protein user.

        I use Nexxus Emergencee once a month (every 4 wash days) and a balanced/medium protein conditioner every other week.

        In the beginning of October, I started experimenting with Yahaya's protein layering theory, where you apply a protein only to the last 2-3 inches of your hair. So I've used Chi Silk Infusion on my ends once or twice a week. I can't tell if its helping---but so far, its not hurting!

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete

    We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!