Thursday, November 14, 2013

Healthy Hair Insight: My Favorite Detanglers

SOS Approved Detanglers
Every one and their mama has an opinion on when, how, and why you should detangle your tresses. My suggestion: do what works best for your hair in whatever order you prefer. Try out all of the methods and date a few products. Your journey is just that--yours. To help along the way, here are some of the best detanglers that I've tried, when I use them and why they're special to me:

Best Pre-Wash: Mizani D'Tangle
My thirsty roots soak up this milky detangler within seconds of spraying it on. Whilst it's rather thin, it gives awesome slip allowing me to remove shed hairs and tangles with ease. I love using it pre-wash to help the rest of my session roll smoothly. I'd probably never use it post wash because it leaves my hair with this icky coating that I'm not a fan of.

Best During Wash: Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution
I bought this detangler with the intentions of using it for a detangling leave in. Bad. Idea. It's just not moisturizing enough by itself for my hair. It is however, awesome for melting in wash tangles. I especially love it after my tea rinses. It rids my hair of that stiff feeling. It's slip + my high water pressure shower head gets my hair detangled in minutes without me having to manipulate my hair while wet.

Best Post Wash: It's a 10! (without keratin)
Hello slip! Which is why its my go to leave in late in my stretch to help me alleviate tangles and SSKs. If I have a particularly unruly tangle, I just spray one more pump of the leave-in on it then work out the tangle strand by strand. Its not oily and it truly does make you feel like you've added silk to your hair. I love the smoothness and softness it creates whether I air dry or use direct heat. I can't say that its an excellent moisturizer or that it gives me tons of shine---but I love having a product that I know will melt my knots but not weigh my hair down. 

What's your favorite detangler and when do you use it?

Besitos!
KLP

17 comments:

  1. This is the second post I've read on It's a 10! My inner product junkie has been awakened!

    Courtnea @ Finally Growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pricey but totally worth it. Plus a little goes a long way.

      Delete
    2. Same here! If I stop it at Target tomorrow, I'm tempted to grab it.

      Delete
    3. I think that Target occasionally offers a $5 off coupon with the purchase of $25 in It's a 10! products.

      Delete
  2. Mane n Tail has been my lifesaver when it comes to unruly knots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on Mane and Tail, it was one of the first products I picked up when starting my journey. It is definitely a staple in my detangling process when is done lightly before each washday with fingers and a wide tooth comb as well as about 80 percent dry. Wet hair is a big no no for me.

      lengthlylovelylocks.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Same here on the Mane n Tail. I haven't tried It's a 10 but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the contrary to Jas-sherese tho, I loovvveee shower detangling!

      Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

      Delete
    3. *Don't judge me* I've heard rave reviews on Mane n Tail Detangler but I've never used it. I guess that I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time I run out! Is it a good leave too?

      Thanks for the feedback chicas!

      Delete
    4. @Abbi I'm not a fan of wet detangling either. I tried using a shower comb once and almost had a heart attack. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  3. I've made notes of these products but mane n tail is hard to beat. :-)
    Divachyk @Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Shame Face* I've never even used Mane n Tail but I've only heard good things about it. I need to try it when I run out of my Mizani! Thanks for the suggestion doll!

      Delete
  4. Wow! It’s so good how you have a detangler for each stage of your wash day!
    I always detangle before my wash day, but rely on my pre –poo oils or the slip in my DC. During my washing, I don’t tend to detangle, so Matrix Biolage sounds like a great product to use as it requires little to no manipulation. After my wash day it has to be Aussie Hair Miracle Insurance Leave in conditioner that is the one that just melts (makes easier detangling) all my tangles and knots, it has saved me so many times. I also like using it as a mid-week moisture boost; it’s really light, smells amazing and gets the job done!
    Great post KLP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are seriously too kind Yvonne!

      I don't think that I've ever use all three on the same wash session, but I like having a detangler on hand that will work regardless of where I am in the wash process.

      *check it* I totally added Assie Hair Miracle Insurance Leave in to my wish list. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. This is just what I needed KLP! I have the It's A Ten, but with that price I stick to it for Leave in purposes. I'm ballin', but on a budget lol. I do think I need to try out the detangling solution again though.

    Blog: www.PowerToThePJ.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad that I could help! Funny thing about It's a 10!---I noticed that when I use less of it before flat ironing--my hair looks better. I'm usually heavy handed with my products but unless I'm dealing with a particularly unruly tangle---less is totally more.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!