Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Wash Day

I have a love/hate relationship with colder temps. I love layering. I love boots. I love scarves. I hate how dry my hair, skin, and nails get. Last week was another ordinary week in the life of a chronic bunner. High buns. Low buns. Side buns. (I'm starting to sound like Dr. Suess! Ha-ha!) I haven't done anything exciting to my hair in weeks. Perhaps a day in big fluffy bantu curls is in order?

Wash Day Products
  1. Detangle- lightly and gently with extra virgin coconut oil. 
  2. Clarifying Shampoo- Kenra Chelating/Clarifying Shampoo diluted with water and applied with a narrow tip applicator bottle to my roots only.
  3. Moisturizing Shampoo- Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo again diluted with water and applied with a narrow tip applicator bottle to my roots only.
  4. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  5. Protein Treatment- I applied Joico K-pak Reconstructor conditioner and let sit for about 30 minutes without heat. 
  6. Extreme Deep Condition- with Jessicurl Deep Treatment on the length of my hair and extra virgin coconut oil to seal in the conditioner. I sat under my heat cap for about an hour. 
  7. Air Dried- to 80% with silk scarf.
  8. Leave ins- Aloe Tea Spray to moisturize, my kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter, and Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner 
Lost Hair
Results: 
The Bad- I'm not a fan of the squeaky clean feeling and tangles that I get from clarifying, but I knew that it needed to be done. If you really want a protein treatment to bond to your strands, you have to make sure that there's no buildup on them. *Le sigh* Luckily, Matrix Detangling solution saved the day and eased my tangles like no body's business.


The Good- My shed hair was a joke. I lost maybe 10 strands in my pre-wash detangle. Maybe another 15 or so post wash. And none in the shower.I don't know what I'm doing right, so I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing and pray that this success continues.

Fluffy Air Dried Bun
The indifferent- I've only used Joico K-pak as a mid-protein step after a relaxer. After hearing so many rave reviews about it, I pulled it out and used it instead of my beloved Nexxus Emergence this wash. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but it's strengthening and fortifying abilities aren't to be questioned. My hair definitely felt stronger after use---think kinda stiff. Once I deep conditioned with Jessicurl Deep Treatment---my hair was in heaven again.

I didn't really feel like detangling, but un-stretched roots are like disaster waiting to happen. So, I as I detangled, I faux banded then bantu knoted my hair to stretch it. At almost 5 months post, I'm all about this bun life.

Besitos!
KLP

14 comments:

  1. Now that my Aphogee 2 minute is all used up, I may go after the Joico. I've see it on sale at Marshall's, but they only have jumbo size bottles and I want a smaller one to try first. Or maybe the Nexxus Emergencee. We shall see. I still have Aphogee 2 step that I haven't used up. Decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far---Nexxus Emergencee is #1 on my protein treatment list. I have predictable results every single time. I'll never again use Aphogee 2 step. That stench, chica, I just can't handle it! My experience with Joico K-Pak has been interesting. Its not bad. But it hasn't out shined Nexxus either. I guess that you're not the only one with decisions to make!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love the Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator, though I haven't tried the protein treatment. I have a love/hate relationship with the winter weather too. It's battering my hair! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about winter is that cute hats are appropriate and totally sufficient to cover up a bad hair day!

      Delete
  3. "un-stretched roots are like disaster waiting to happen" I couldn't agree more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Amen! My hair just isn't about the unstretched life!

      Delete
  4. You are really controlling your shedding problem. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline! I'd be happy go lucky if it stayed this way!

      Delete
  5. Almost 5 months post and shedding such lil hair #amazingjob

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got me really wanting to try this Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution! Awesome wash day post as always!

    Courtnea @ Finally Growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first impressions of it weren't so great, but now that I've learned to use it properly---I'm definitely considering repurchasing!

      Delete
  7. great job. you have very little shedding, and yes un-stretched roots are totally a time bomb.

    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uchenna! I've been working deligiently all year to get my shedding down. If it stays at this level, I'd be one happy chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!