Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mini Wash Day

Last week, I began a post titled "Dear hair---you suck." Ugh, my hair just was so disrespectful that I had to co-wash every other day--both after working out---just to coax it into a bun. Luckily, It all worked out because I had travel plans for the weekend. I wanted to rock my curls and bantu knots always their best on recently washed air dried hair. I wore my curls down for two days then in a faux bob and lastly in a big side bun. I'm sure that my protein powered wash and abbreviated deep conditioning session from last week was the culprit for my uncooperative hair---luckily I've got a solution for that: an overnight deep condition. Yes--I know that many discourage it---but when you hair is dry, disrespectful, and dehydrated---it works like wonders: 
Wash Day Products
  1. Detangled- with my fingers and Mizani D'Tangle Leave-In Milk.
  2. Extreme deep condition- with JBCO on my scalp, Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm, and massaged my strands in extra virgin coconut oil. I covered with a plastic cap, relaxed under my heat cap for about 2 hours, then left it in overnight. 
  3. Green Tea Rinse- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied steeped green tea, using a narrow tip applicator to my strands--focusing on the roots. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed.
  4. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  5. Air Dried- to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  6. Leave-Ins- Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner and my kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter
Results-
Shed Hair: Prewash | Shower | Postwash
Hello big fluffy, soft, and smooth hair! Oh how I missed thee! Overnight deep conditioning #ftw! I whipped out an old favorite: Mizani D'Tangle this wash to give myself a thorough detangle. I've never cared for this product as a leave in, it gives my hair this icky coated feeling but it's awesome as a pre-wash detangler. 

Air Drying Fluffy Banana Clip Bun
Thanks to that protein powered wash day last week---I had very very little shed hair and breakage. You might have noticed that my beloved Magic Rake comb has been MIA for a few months. I've realized that finger detangling is and will always be far gentler than any other tool that you can buy. I still adore my Magic Rake---I just see tragedy in my minds eye if I used it on these 19 weeks post roots. Finger detangling forces me to work patiently in smaller sections---which is what my hair needs. Because the back half of my hair was much more unprocessed (unintentionally) from my last relaxer--sometimes it feels like at least 1/3 of my length hasn't been relaxed. Fingers crossed that my new protein rich regimen keeps that line of demarcation in tact and breakage at bay. Look ma! No mesh donut! Just in case you were wondering---here's the secret to my big fluffy buns: More Bang for Your Banana Clip.

What technique do you use when your hair is unruly?

Besitos!
KLP

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful bun and YAY to soft and smooth hair!

    To be brutally honest, I would plan an all inclusive wash day, then hide it away in a long-term protective style. Recently I had to force myself not too do that so that I can learn my hair, so lately I've been cowashing like crazy, and sitting down patiently to finger detangle only using the comb probably once or twice a week after I've thoroughly removed all shed hair and knots with my fingers. I'm telling you, at 21 weeks post, this a'int no joke! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sooo right chica! 21 week post hair ain't no joke! *Confetti* for you for making it this far! Woop!

      Even when my hair is misbehaving---the love of being able to fiddle with it whenever I want stops me from committing to long term protective styles. Plus, it's forced me to learn different techniques (like deep conditioning overnight) to get my hair manageable again.

      Delete
  2. The bun is adorableeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Can't wait to get there again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're hair is shoulder length or longer---You can totally work this big bun! Here's a pictorial: How To Get A Big Bun Without Mesh Donuts or Weave

      Delete
  3. KLP you are the queen of buns! That is a lovely bun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet Lydz! A lot of my friends are shocked when I do wear my hair down because they are so used to seeing it up and out of the way.

      Delete
  4. I'm patiently waiting to be able to bun again lol. But I live vicariously through yours and others :)

    lengthylovelylocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Jas---You're gonna be right back in the bun life in no time. I'm living my bob-dreams through you! They do say that the grass is always greener...

      Delete
  5. That bun is delicious looking! Do you like the detangling solution by Matrix? I tried it long ago, but really don't remember my results.

    Blog: www.PowerToThePJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll!

      I didn't really want to like Matrix's Detangling Solution---it's kinda pricey. So far my hair just loves that stuff. Granted---this is only my preliminary opinion as I haven't finished my liter bottle yet.

      Delete
  6. I love the two-textured hair on you. Not a lot of us can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline. Once I stretch my roots, there's not much difference between it and my texlaxed ends. I get mistaken for natural a lot.

      Delete
  7. I don't know how you get away with tea rinsing AFTER you deep condition. If I did that my hair would clump to no end and be really dry. But yayy for good wash days!

    Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abbi! I learned a tip from Jeni over at JGA to follow tea rinses with a smoothing treatment. My faves was Paul Mitchell Super Skinny but Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution is inching its way forward.

      Thanks for stopping by chica

      Delete
  8. I got stuck looking at the hair texture. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!