Friday, July 11, 2014

How To Protect Your Blowout At The Gym | Fitness Friday

I used to be that girl that avoided any strenuous sweat inducing activity to save my blowout or freshly flat ironed hair. Not anymore. When I don't workout, I just don't feel like myself. My most recent straightening session took 3 hours to complete; trust and believe that I'm going to do all that can maintain it. Today on #FitnessFriday, I'm sharing how I protect my blowout at the gym:
  1. Absorb it: Protect your edges from frizzing up with a sweat absorbing head band. I use Scunci No Slip Grip bands.
  2. Ballerina Top Knot: Pull your hair into a high, smooth, and taut ballerina bun. I'm in love with Sarah Potempa's "The Wrap Up." This nifty contraption keeps my ends protected while making the cutest bun without a hair tie or bobby pins that can leave dent marks. The best part is that at the end of my sweat session, I have great curls!
  3. Hands off: Please do not be that girl who is constantly fiddling with her hair! Ugh...not only is it annoying to the person behind you, but your sweaty hands will frizz your hair.
  4. The Switch: At the end of your workout, switch your head band for a dry one then cover with a satin scarf until your roots are dry. The tension of your bun and scarf should keep your roots flattened and prevent reversion. I have a collection of Lush Knot Wraps in my gym bag are are equal parts fashion, fun, and function.
How to you protect your straightened hair at the gym?

Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, and Britt of One&20

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, and One&20 via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.

Fitness Friday





12 comments:

  1. I've never actually tried a sweat band before I think I'm going to have to invest in one. I usually just braid my hair in 5 or 6 single plaits and tie them back to keep my hair straight. But next time I'm in the gym I'll be sure to incorporate some of these tips.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Braids are a really good idea. Especially if you sweat a lot in your hair, you can use a paper towel post workout to absorb the sweat so that your roots say smooth and sleek!

      Awesome tip chica!

      Delete
  2. I just make sure I keep the hair away from the face. It depends of course on how much you sweat but if you have a Pony tail then only the roots Will be close to the Warm scalp.

    I always plan in My washdays with My gym days. I put coconut oil in the hair overnight and have it in during the workout class, Wash the hair afterwards and sit in the sauna with the deep conditioning in. Speeds up the washdays a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Lisa. I love adding a little EVCO to my hair before Spin class. If that ain't a good pre-shampoo, I don't know what is!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  3. I don't even know what to say because my hair only stays straight for a few hours, then it turns into an Afro:-) Great tips though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! I feel your pain Nerline. My roots aren't playing with all of the humidity in the air right now, but it's nothing that a high bun and scarf can't flatten out!

      Delete
  4. I need to switch it at the end of the workouts but I have a great sweat wicking headband from Goody that I love so much. I have bunned it once but usually create a makeshift pony tail that I pin down with some clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sooo many head bands for the gym because I can never find one when I need it!

      Delete
  5. All good ideas, I'll use them if I ever exercise. Haha. I will--eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You lucky chica! I wish that I had that luxury!

      Delete
  6. These are great ideas... except I sweat SO much in my head! I leave the gym looking like I just left the pool - it's so annoying!!! I would love to be able to find a way to cut off those sweat glands so I can keep my straight hair decent :-/ lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! When/If I find out how to turn your sweat glands off, you'll be the first to know chica!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!