Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Wash Day


A good moisturizing wash day before flat ironing is my secret to smooth and sleek straight hair. This flat iron was totally over due, as I haven't seen the length of my hair in nearly 4 months! Here's what I used to wash my hair this week:
  1. Pre-shampoo- I lightly detangled and slathered my hair in extra virgin coconut oil.
  2. Shampoo- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the oil completely. I combined about 1/2 oz of Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo with 4 oz of water in a narrow tip applicator bottle and applied to my roots only. I let the runoff cleanse my ends. 
  3. Extreme Deep Condition- Then I applied Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm from root to tip, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for 2 hours and left it in overnight. 
  4. Smoothing Treatment- I rinsed the conditioner then let a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution marinate on my hair for about 5 minutes. 
  5. Leave Ins- Here's where things got dicey. I decided to apply It's a 10! leave in and Sedu Anti-Frizz Serum then detangle.
My hair revolted. I'm not being dramatic y'all. It took me 2 1/2 hours to detangle. I was pretty much in tears by the time that I was done and very late to church. My hair felt awful and looked it. So, I called it a lost, pulled my hair into a bun, and thanked Jesus that at least I still had hair on my head. When I got home, I  realized that there was no saving this wash session. I had to re-wash:
  1. Pre-shampoo- I didn't need to detangle again, so I slathered my hair in extra virgin coconut oil again. 
  2. Extreme Deep Condition- Next, I hopped into the shower to rinse the oil completely. Ah! My heart felt normal again! I applied another helping of Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm from root to tip, covered with a plastic cap and sat under hooded dryer for 45 minutes. 
  3. Smoothing Treatment- I rinsed the conditioner then let a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution marinate on my hair for about 5 minutes. 
  4. Leave Ins- I kicked the Sedu Anti-Frizz Serum to the curb and grabbed my old faithful flat ironing combo of Chi Silk Infusion and It's a 10!
  5. Tension blow dry- Using my Solia dryer on cool, I applied a little tension to my roots to dry my hair. 
  6. Flat iron- with my Ferrum flat iron and Sedu Carbon Flat Iron Comb
The results (finally!) 
Gloriously shiny straight hair. From start to finish this wash day lasted 30 hours. Smh. Not. A. Fan. But, I'm very happy that I decided to re-wash. If I hadn't, it would have been a waste of a flat iron because I doubt that my hair would have been smooth or flowly at all. The culprit was probably the newbie Sedu Anti-Frizz Serum. It left this weird filmy coated residue on my hair that I just couldn't love. Lesson learned (again): leave ins totally have to play well together. My new Ferrum iron did a marvelous job straightening my hair using 2 passes and it has tons of shine. I snipped almost an inch all the way around and I'll promise to post length check pictures tomorrow. Don't stone me!


How was your wash day? Using something new? Share with us below!

Besitos!
KLP





26 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you managed to salvage your hair! It looks super shiny and lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubs walked in whilst I was detangling and I said "I feel like I've been doing my hair for days." He replied "You have." #heartcrushing!

      Thanks for stopping by Lam!

      Delete
  2. Wow! 30 hours! Despite the time (and tears), your hair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! Fingers crossed that this is the last I see of a never ending wash day for a LONG time!

      Delete
  3. Long overdue indeed! lol I've been waiting for this straight hair post. But wait...30hrs?? Well, all's well that ends well!

    Abbi of BelowtheWaist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't antsy for a change---trust and believe that I would have just cowashed and bunned! I don't think that the straight hair life is for me anymore!

      Delete
  4. GASP no picture hahaha it's okay. I can't wait to see it though. It looks so great in the picture you do have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the never ending wash day, you hair turned out great. :)

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I suppose that it was worth it in the end. Thanks for the sweet words Evalyne!

      Delete
  6. I remember experiencing such an aweful hair after a wash I had to rewash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall another time when I had to re-wash in the same day. Usually, I cut my losses and suffer with icky hair for a day or two before I'll co-wash. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  7. Your hair looks AWESOME chicka, I have also BEEN waiting for this straight hair post!! I have been there with the uber long wash days, and they SUCK, but here clearly, it was worth it. Btw, I couldn't add my link with the linkz tool, my PC won't allow me, so here's mine.

    http://therandomphoenix.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-gym-plus-rainy-weather-im-gonna.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair looks great, shame about the very long wash day. It was worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely worth it in the end---but I totally NEVER want to do that again. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  9. Don't you just hate when your hair decides to show you how much it really hates a product! Awesome results nonetheless :)

    Courtnea of Finally Growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair was NOT having that Sedu serum. It's a shame because I thought that it would be a winner. You live and you learn!

      Thanks for linking up with me!

      Delete
  10. It looks so thick! Love the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Tasia. You totally made me smile. I've never thought of my hair as being thick!

      Delete
  11. I love that you extreme deep condition because at the end of the day that is what saves us!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. 30 hours sounds normal to me now lol the only way I get in my wash day now is by starting the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm used to overnight deep conditioning. I really don't mind that. But re-washing was defeating! Stupid Sedu serum messed up my flow!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!