Thursday, April 11, 2013

[Review] Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Price: 15.09 for 8oz

Purchased at: Amazon

Promises: Topic Isle Jamaican Black Castor oil is made the traditional hand processed way. Use in hair, skin moisturizer, and massage oil for aces and pains.

Ingredients: 100% Natural Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Directions: Apply to hair like hair grease for moisturizing purposes Massage into scalp for healthy hair growth and scalp problems. If you have dry, perm and colored hair, add 3 tablespoon black castor oil to your favorite conditioner. It adds extra moisture to your hair and seals it in. Use for hot oil treatments: warm three tablespoon castor oil and massage into hair then put on heating cap for half hour. Or massage 3 table spoons of black castor oil into hair, put on heating cap then go under dryer for 10 minutes. 

My Thoughts: In 2010, after struggling with scalp irritation after my relaxers, I started using regular castor oil to base my scalp. The results were great; the itchy, tight, and flaky scalp that I has come to associate with the days following a relaxer was gone. I researched other ways to use it in my hair regimen, but I found it too greasy to use daily with my sleek, straighten hair. Most hair boards and blogs are run a muck with Castor Oil challenges and have advertised its benefits for years. I just couldn't convince myself to buy into the hype. That is until last September. Whilst chatting with my good friend (a natural diva who runs I DO Wedding Connection in Maryland), she mentioned the growth that her sister-in-law saw with she committed to daily JBCO scalp massages. That's when I said, "Self: YOU need to get on this." That night I ordered my first bottle. 
After almost 7 months of using JBCO weekly, I'm just running out of my 8oz bottle. This product is very very thick and a little goes a long way. Once I realized how little I needed to use, I was able to avoid that greasy feeling that had turned me off in the past. My nose is easily offended by smells; I actually don't care for the scent at all. It's that same earthy/burnt scent that accompanies a lot natural products. When I first started to use it, I swear that it felt like my scalp couldn't breathe. I guess that I just needed some time to adjust to the tingly feeling on my scalp and the scent. Now, I don't notice either.

How I've used it:
(1) Pre-poo: I'll massage in my essential oil blend then top it with a little JBCO and conditioner. 
(2) Mid Week Scalp Massage: Once a week I'd use a tiny amount to massage into my scalp whilst moisturizing and sealing. I just couldn't convince myself to do it and more than that. 
(3) Sealer: When I went on my heat detox, I didn't have to fret over weighing down my straight hair with oil. I would moisturize, seal with JBCO, then pin my hair into whatever style I fancied. 

Will I replace my bottle? Yep. Here's why:
- I can't say that my hair is thicker, because it is naturally very thick.
- I can't say that my hair grew any faster, I experienced the same 2 1/2 - 3" of new growth that I see every 12-16 week stretch. 
- My ends fared much better this stretch than ever before during my HHJ. This just be because they were more moisturized and I was participated in the L4LPSC for the last 3 months. 
- My roots well much more manageable during my most recent stretch. They felt more moisturized and seemed to retain moisture better throughout the week.

So, If I can protect and nourish my roots plus maintain my ends with JBCO--then it is definitely a winner in my book!

How do you use JBCO in your regimen?

Un mil besitos!
KLP 

14 comments:

  1. Interesting, even though my hair is naturally thick, I was able to identify the extra boost in thickness that it gave me. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  2. I've been doing scalp massages every couple days and applying to my edges at least once a day. I hate how thick it is as well but like you said, while PS-ing it hasn't bothered me too much. My roots feel very moisturized when using it to oil my scalp. This is definitely a staple for me. :)

    www.lengtheninglocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While my hair was straight last week, I didn't even look at the bottle. Ha-ha!

      Delete
  3. I put one tablespoon in my DC and oil my scalp weekly with it. Sometimes mid-week I may use it on my scalp if the need is there but its definitely a STAPLE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, like you, have not been able to buy into the hype of all the castor oil challenges. My hair is also naturally thick so that benefit has not excited me either. But the other benefits you experienced have me considering at least giving it a try. Are there major differences between regular castor oil and JBCO?

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the regular castor oil even thicker than JBCO. Although, I've only used regular castor oil as a base for my scalp before relaxer touch ups, I CAN NOT imagine using it as a mid-week or even daily scalp treatment. The makers (READ: The folks whose pockets are getting fat from the sale of this product) maintain that JBCO is more effective than the clear pharmacy castor oil because of the ash content due to roasting of the beans. (Hence the offensive smell that I loathe) Therefore, the darker and unrefined the castor oil, the better.

      Many ladies report that JBCO absorbs better than clear castor oil and keeps their hair more moisturized.

      I hope that this helps!

      Delete
  5. Ive never tried JBCO but I always use regular castor oil on my scalp :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. JBCO is amazing and surprising...I never would have thought something that thick could soften my hair, but it does everytime. I love to add it to DCs and seal my ends. BOMB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think that I would like it as an end sealer but it's been amazing. I'm hoping that if I continue heat detoxing and protective styling for the majority of this stretch, then I should only have to lightly dust my ends after my next relaxer. *Fingers crossed*

      Delete
  7. I like it , its thick so it last me a entire year . I dont think it will increase hair growth but my hair feel stronger .

    This is my experince http://www.inspired-beauty.com/2013/01/product-review-jamaican-black-castor-oil.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Simone! I can't stay that it made my hair grow either but my roots and ends retain a lot more moisture when I do use it!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!