Saturday, April 27, 2013

Healthy Hair Insight: 2 Comb Detangling Method

My tools for a 2Comb Smooth

Healthy Hair Insight: How to master tangles


Since I purchased by first seamless comb last summer, a regular comb hasn't touched my strands. Y'all know that I'm madly in love with the Magic Star Jumbo Rake. Everything about it is awesome. In the past, I assumed that when combing your hair, inevitably there would be breakage and it was my job to just keep that breakage from the comb as minimal as possible. But, excuse my language, that mess ain't true! You can comb your hair and not have breakage caused by the tool when you use a seamless comb plus a dash of patience. (unfortunately, you can't buy the last one. Ha-ha!) When I purchased my Jumbo Rake, I read on www.HotCombz.net about the 3Comb Smooth technique. This technique makes use first of a extra wide, wide, and then finally medium comb to detangle your hair in sections. They suggest that detangling should only be done while hair is wet and saturated with leave-in product. Recommended combs for the method are (my beloved) Magic Star Jumbo Rake (extra wide), HS1975 Styling Comb (wide), and HS696W Styling Comb (medium). Once I saw the teeth on the wide and medium combs, I moved on to the next thing on my to-do list. There was just no way that I was paying $26 for two more combs who's teeth, seamless or not, would definitely rip all my hair out! I just couldn't do it. Fast forward a few months, Age in ATL from Loving MY Hair graciously grants me the winner her giveaway and the goodie box included a Hercules Sagemann Contour Comb! This comb is a blend of the HS1975 Styling Comb and HS696W Styling Comb, accomplishing the 2nd and 3rd phase of the 3Comb Smooth technique.

I've been too chicken to do a full 3Comb Smooth while detangling my hair, but I did start using 2Combs (Magic Star Jumbo Rake (extra wide) then HS1975 Styling Comb (wide) just to see if employing the technique on wash day only detangling. For the last 4 weeks, I've been using this method and loving the results. My hair definitely says detangled longer. I have less SSK knots because my strands are getting a thorough wash day comb. My air dried hair feels and looks smoother whilst my flat ironed hair straightens with only the need of one heat pass. I was concerned that I would be pulling my hair out of my head by using a comb that was much smaller than I'm confortable with. I am extra gentle, which is clearly what my hair needs and I won't dare use the wide comb daily. I detangle my hair once its dry. For some reason, I lose a lot less hair when I detangle dry hair versus wet hair. (Another prime example of how what works for the gander might not work for the goose---or however that saying goes!)

If you've tried the 3Comb Smooth Method, which combs work best for your hair and do you prefer to detangle on dry or wet hair?

Besitos!

KLP  

8 comments:

  1. I am glad you are liking the comb! I use my contour comb for rollersetting and I get very little breakage. I definitely prefer detangling on damp hair. I get breakage everytime I try to detangle my hair dry or soaking wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an awful rollersetter. I love the happy bouncy curls that I get from an set, but I always have trouble getting enough tension on my roots to straighten them. Then I'm tempted (and usually do)whip out my flat iron to smooth it out. Kinda defeats the purpose right? Ha-ha!

      However, the next time that I get the urge to rollerset, I'll definite pull out my contour comb. Do you think that it would help me smooth my hair better?

      Delete
  2. I most often use two combs to detangle(jumbo rake and HS1975), but I do use three when rollersetting (HS1975, HS645, and HS197W). The last one has very fine teeth so I won't be making much use of this one once I'm completely texlaxed. I prefer to detangle on damp hair as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't imagine using the fine tooth side (HS696W) either. But I do love a multipurpose tool!

      Delete
  3. I really need the magic star jumbo rake! I have Hercules Sagemann combs but they're quite small so I use my fingers more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love the jumbo rake. May it never be discontinued!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, that contour comb looks just like my beloved Denman Ebonite comb. I love that comb and when used in conjunction with my Jumbo Rake or Mini Rake is nothing short of outstanding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! I wish that I would have used a large tooth comb first, then a small tooth comb to detangle years ago! Wisdom surely does come with age---and asking why. LOL!

      Thanks for stopping by Tracey!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!