Thursday, July 18, 2013

Healthy Hair Insight: Should you detangle when wet or dry?

After detangling 70%-80% dry and adding leave ins
Simple question; complicated answer. I'll just tell you guys what works for me. 

Post wash, I detangle when my hair is 70-80% dry. How did I get this number? Trial and error. When I first started my journey, I always detangled my hair soaking wet. Why? Because that's what my favorite YouTube vlogger did. Y'all remember Ateeya? Throwback joint. Any who, it took me about a year to realize that my hair HATES being detangled soaking wet. However, when it's completely dry, it's not as easy to stretch my roots. By chance, I let my hair air dry for about 30 minutes then detangled and applied my leave-ins. My hair was smoother, I lost less hair in the process, and the single strand knots/tangles that I experienced prior were reduced.

Detangling is my least favorite part of wash day, but I know that its crucial if I want to retain length. 

I want to know what you do. Are you a wet or dry detangler and why?

Besitos!
KLP


14 comments:

  1. I detangle wet with conditioner in the shower and then detangle damp post washing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply Lydz. Do you find that your hair stays detangled better reducing knots? Is your hair dried smoother?

      Delete
    2. I do the exact same thing as Lydz. Detangle with a wide tooth comb under running water with conditioner and then again on damp hair after I have applied my leave-ins. Detangling my hair dry is asking for breakage.

      Delete
    3. @KLP yes it does reduce knots and if I want it to dry real smooth then I bun loosely after detangling.

      Delete
    4. I seem to get less breakage when I detangle pre-wash instead of detangling in the shower. Maybe I'm not doing something right here...

      Thanks for your comments chicas

      Delete
    5. @Age I think that I bought a shower comb at the beginning of my hair journey but I've yet to use it. Maybe I should try it to see if the reults are better. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I detangle when my hair is about 50% dry, haven't tried any other way, am scared to detangle when my hair is soaking wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair doesn't seem to like soaking wet detangling. If it ain't broke---don't fix it right?

      Delete
  3. I detangle when my hair is 90% or more dry. I also use the pressure from the shower and my fingers to do some detangling while washing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing what a highly concentrated shower head can do to help keep your hair detangled!

      Delete
  4. I finger detangle prior to washing my hair using oil and/or Mane and Tail Detangler. Sometimes I finger detangle in the shower when rinsing my hair. To follow up I always detangle with a seamless comb when my hair is 80% dry. I shed like crazy all the time and texlax which also causes more tangles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texlaxing definitely can cause more tangles especially if you are deep into a stretch and dealing with 2-3 textures.

      Thanks for commenting Tama!

      Delete
  5. I detangle with moisturizer on dry hair. After washing, I let it dry to 90% then detsngle after m&s'ing. I usually keep the tshirt on until my hair is 90% dry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-wash detangling is the only way that I can make it through a wash day without wanting to shave all of my hair off! It also gives me an opportunity to access my hair to see what it needs. If my roots feel super soft--I opt for a light protein deep condition. If my roots are ridiculously dry---I grab some of my fave moisturizing deep conditioner.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!