Sunday, July 14, 2013

Vacation Hair Exposed

Here are a few tidbits that I learned about my hair while I was on vacation in Florida: 

  1. My hair is hydrophilic. Yep. GRE word y'all. It simply means that my hair loves moisture. I've never been a fan of frequent washing because I felt like it would strip the natural oils in my hair causing dryness. Dryness=breakage. Breakage=heartache. Okay, well maybe I'm being a little dramatic. But you get my drift. However, this vacation because I hung out at the pool so frequently, I co-washed about every other day and my hair loved it. Co-washing kept my roots moisturized, my scalp clean, and rid my hair of dryness from the chlorinated pool water. My new go to co-washing shampoo is Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner.
  2. Water pressure matters. My vacation home has the world's greatest water pressure. Random, but true. It was a breeze to rinse my hair because I could turn the spout to concentrate the water. Rinsing required less manipulation and less time post wash detangling. My hubby isn't happy with this discovery. When we purchased our home, I asked him to install a rainfall shower head. Not because we needed it. But because I thought that they were cool. Yesterday, I asked him to change it back. *shrugs* Its a woman's prerogative to change her mind right?
  3. Big hair rocks. The one thing that I've learned this year is that my hair can look "done" and cute without heat. I absolutely fell in love with my big bantu curls. They would last for 2 days, withstood the heat/humidity, and allowed me to keep my hair moisturized to the max. Do not be surprised if you don't see any sleek and smooth styles from me for the rest of the summer. Sorry chicas!
What have you learned about your hair this summer?

8 comments:

  1. I may have to revisit cowashing because for a while I think I was doing it too much and my hair was getting cranky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Maybe a little too much moisture or maybe your hair didn't like the conditioner

      Delete
  2. Moisture is the key for our hair types to retaining lenght.
    I'm not that big on co-washes using conditionrt but my hair prefers to be rinsed in the shower with water every other day. This helps me keeping my moisture balance in check during these hot sommer days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair loves water in the summer. I co-wash almost every day and my hair grows like weeds. Love your GRE word! And I too love me some big hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Thanks Michelle! What are some of your go-to styles for freshly co-washed hair?

      Delete
  4. Lmao at changing the shower head. I'm going on a two week vaca next month, I hope it's smooth sailing for my hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty chill about it thankfully!

      If you are going anywhere hot or humid---don't even bother trying to keep your hair flat, smooth or sleek. You'll drive yourself bonkers!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!