Friday, July 05, 2013

Relaxer Touch Up

Relaxer Drama

I used a new relaxer, ORS Olive Oil Professional Lye Creme Relaxer (Normal Strength), this touch up for the first time in almost 6 years. It was an interesting experience to say the least. So here's how my self-touch up yesterday went:

"Protect" Prodcuts
1. Prep- The wash day before my relaxer, I prep my strands with a protein treatment. Last wash day, I used a mix of One 'n Only Argan Oil Restorative Mask and Organix Repairing Awapuhi Ginger Instant Recovery Mask because I'd already hit my hair with a hard protein treatment 2 weeks ago. 
2. Protect- The day of my relax, I first section my hair into four quads. Then I take each quad and split into 1" sections. Next, I base my scalp with JBCO then lightly cover my previously relaxed ends with Roux Porosity Control Conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion, and Joico Moisture Recovery. Lastly, I double strand twist each section, starting the twist at the line of demarcation, so that I know where to apply the relaxer. I cover the front two quads with a shower cap for each side then 2 more covering both sides to keep it from getting relaxer or water on it while I work on my front half.

Apply- I did a strand test, once this is a new relaxer, so I knew that I had about 7 minutes for the process. I started my application process on the front quads using a sprush (green). Because I know exactly where to apply the relaxer and I only apply the relaxer to my unprocessed roots, the fear of overlapping the relaxer is minimal. Once I apply the relaxer, I smooth with my fingers. HOWEVER, I got to about minute 5 and my scalp was on fire! Literally, I felt like my hair was falling out so, I immediately hopped the shower rinsed thoroughly and did a quick neutralizing. The burning sensation ceased and I woosahed enough to carry on.

Mid-relaxer fortifier
Fortify- Next, I applied Joico K-pak Reconstructor as my mid-relaxer strengthener and let it sit for 2 minutes.  

Neutralize- After rinsing the protein conditioner, I neutralized 3x with ORS Olive Oil Professional Neutralizing Shampoo plus a 5 minute ACV rinse just to be ensure that the relaxer has been rinsed away and the chemical process has been stopped. 

Deep condition
Remove- My old relaxer was no-lye and I would follow up with a chelating shampoo after neutralizing to remove mineral deposits. This time I followed with Roux PC Shampoo to balance my hair because I didn't know how my hair would react to the ORS. Better safe than sorry right?

Restore- Every relaxer touch up ends with an extreme deep condition. I applied vitamin e oil to my scalp, to soothe the irritation, KeraCare Humecto on the length of my hair and massaged Argan oil throughout. I covered with a plastic cap then DIY Steam conditioned with my heat cap for about an hour. 

I tea rinsed/applied a smoothing treatment, air dried, detangled, and used It's a 10! and Chi Silk Infusion as my leave ins then flat ironed.

Results: 
Ugh. That's all that I can say right now. After having so much irritation when relaxing the front half of my hair, I just knew that my roots were going to be bone straight. I literally told myself to man-up in the mirror so that I wouldn't cry. (I can be really emo when I get frustrated.) After deep conditioning, I saw that they weren't. But I'm still salty. Relaxing in two halves is tedious but I'm grateful for that process today because I was able to change my strategy for the back half of my hair. I added about 1/4 cup coconut oil straight to the relaxer creme and double triple based my scalp. This seemed to do the trick because I didn't have one bit of burning in the back. However, the back half of my hair has a little more texture than the front---I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

I was so tired flustered by the relaxer process that I didn't even bother to length check. My ends looked like they were in decent condition: the one highlight of this touch up.

My hair was really flat and didn't have it's usual "post relaxer swang" so I haven't even worn it down. What was the point of flat ironing?!? To say the least, no soy feliz...*crosses arms and pouts.*

I understand that lye relaxers are better for the hair than no lye relaxers but I'm not sure that the irriation is worth it. Or perhaps my scalp is far more sensitive than I thought. 

If you use a lye formula, how do you prevent scalp burns/irritation?

Besitos!
KLP

30 comments:

  1. Oh No! Sorry to hear about your experience. I have always used lye relaxers, whatever brand my Hairdresser decides to use. I base my scalp with Vaseline and I hardly ever get burns. I also avoid any manipulation from my last wash day till the relaxer day to make sure the scalp isn't irritated. I know you will bounce back from this, HHJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi!

      I can't even remember the last time that my scalp was irritated after an relaxer. There is only one spot that feels sore and I'm starting to think that I may have forgotten to base that section. Maybe I'll try vaseline next touch up.

      Delete
  2. Lye formulas are harsh on my scalp! I tried them and quickly ran back to no lye never going back there again. Sorry to hear about your experience:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm truly sorry to hear that you had such an experience. Make sure you oil your scalp before going in for the night, that should help some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling. I've been babying the irriated spot with JBCO and vitamin e. It feels a lot better now.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear this! I also stopped using lye relaxers for the same reason. My scalp would burn and my hair would be unprocessed. I use Vaseline for my no- lye relaxers and i don't have scalp burns any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I'm definitely going to switch from JBCO to vaseline for basing my scalp in future touch-ups. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience. I also use Vaseline to base my scalp. I have experienced slight stinging during a touchup but I knew it was because I had caused some irritation before hand. Seems like adding the oil helped. I have also used a mild strength relaxer and it did not burn my scalp, but it left a lot more texture. I would definitely give the Vaseline a try next time though or continue to add the oil if it left the right amount of texture for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Only time will tell if the extra texture is for me. So far so good!

      Delete
  6. Sorry you had to experience such pain. I use ORS Professional lye relaxer fine to medium hair and haven't experienced any burns. I don't base my scalp so i think it isn't working for your scalp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that I forgot to base that section. After years of no lye relaxing, I was kinda shocked that my scalp was so irritated!

      Delete
  7. Hey, I am sorry about your experience , this relaxer happens to be my favorite for texlaxing, I get my hair done at a salon, I don't get bad irritation but the application does have to be quick or I start to tingle but that happens with every relaxer I use lol...I do base my scalp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned my lesson---extra basing for next time!

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  8. That was my staple texlaxing relaxer. It always gave me the perfect texture. To avoid irritation, I thoroughly based my scalp with Vaseline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I like the texture. I'm totally switching to vaseline for basing here on out. Thanks chica

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your experience. I was thinking about switching to lye but my scalp is so sensitive. Definitely use more vaseline than you think you need to prevent irritation x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vaseline is the holy grail when it comes to basing one's scalp it seems. I also base with Vaseline, even though I use no lye relaxer, my scalp is that sensitive. I use one of the mildest formulas I think out there and I still base my scalp with Vaseline like a crazy person. I tried lye once and it was a horrid experience. Sorry that you had to go through it, it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a horro story! I was thinking of switch to lye too, but think will give it a miss for a while! Just baby your strands for now. 5 mins isn't a lot to work with! But the texture is definitely there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 7 minutes to work with for the back. Which wasn't so bad. My old no-lye relaxer gave me 9 minutes and I never needed all of the time for application and smoothing.

      Delete
  12. Oh man I'm sorry to hear this KPL :( I will use ample amount of vaseline for my touch-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I think that its my NUMBER 2 self-relaxing best practice. #1 would be not to over-lap or over process your hair.

      Delete
  13. It is better to base the scalp with vaselne rather than oil. Oil prevents the rekaxer to process. Also dont forget to re protect the parting between front and back half. Otherwise you Will burn there.

    Also, you used a lot of products the weeks before relaxing. It could be a combination of products that caused the reaction. I normally Wash My hair with clarifyibh shampoo a week prior to relaxer, then nothing, not even any oil, in the hair for the Whole week. Then Apply the relaxer and get very good results after just 8 minutes.

    Just some advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Lisa. I've self-relaxed for many years using castor oil to base my scalp without any issue. When I triple based the back half of my hair---the relaxer process went off without a hitch; so I don't think that the oil or previous products were to blame. This was definitely a learning process and I'm totally triple basing next time. Better safe than sorry right? Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  14. Wow, sorry to hear about the relaxer shenanigans! I've always used no lye because of the fear factor surrounding them. I usually try to base my scalp really well and try not to do anything to irritate my scalp in the days leading up to my relaxer. Hopefully you will have better luck next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sorry about your bad relaxer experience :(. i relaxed my hair this past weekend and still burned like crazy and i always use no-lye relaxers. my skin is so sensitive i've always been too scared to try lye relaxers. i'd try vaseline to base instead of the castor oil though, that's the only hair related thing i use petroleum for :o). i hope your scalp feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Jenna. My scalp is 100% better already. I really think that adding vitamin e to my scalp during my post relaxer deep condition minimized the pain a bit. I hope that yours feels better soon too!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!