Friday, July 26, 2013

How To Do Bantu Knots


I don't know if you noticed but Bantu Knots have been my go to style for this air drying heat free summer. (Say that 10 times fast.) Here's a breakdown of how I get my big fluffy curls. 

1. Detangled and Air Dried: I start with detangled air dried hair. I get the best results when my hair has been washed 24-48 hours before I try to install the knots.

2. Large Sections: I prefer my curls in big sections because I love volume. Big hair; KLP don't care. Ha-ha! The smaller your sections, the smaller the curls. You can experiment to see which curl you like the best. I usually end up with 10-12 knots. My knots take about 15 minutes to install.

3. Cocktail: Moisturizer + Oil + Holding product. Use whatever floats your boat. My go to cocktail has been Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner + Argan oil + Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I do believe that order of operations matter on this one. I've found that many products that "hold" aren't particularly moisturizing and can make my hair feel or look very dry over time. Layering on a moisturizer and oil prior to the holding product traps that moisture in and keeps the frizz at bay.

4. How to knot: Bantu knots can be best explained as mini coiled buns that are twisted around itself and secured in place. It's easier seen than explained. Anybody else in love with Whoissugar on YouTube? She is hilarious honey! *in my best whoissugar singing voice* She has some of the best natural hair tutorials on the block and her bantu knot tutorial can not be beat. Watch it a few times, until you get the hang of the technique. 


5. Troubleshooting: Chicas, I can not count how many bantu knot fails I've had since I started my HHJ. One time, my knots were so bad that I had to go and re-washing my hair just to leave the house with my hair in a high bun. Simply. Terrible. Here are the 3 biggest reasons that my knot-outs were so awful:

  • Poor product selection- My cocktail selection can make or break my curls. The wrong products make my hair dry, frizzy or won't provide enough hold. End result: chia pet.
  • Not drying completely- I've attempted wet bantu knot sets and well----y'all will never see pics of that. I waited 8 hours and my hair never dried. When I took them down, I looked like I got stuck by lighting. *shudders* I achieve my best results when my hair has been air dried. Also, note that if you use too much of anything in your cocktail, the knots either won't set and it will frizz. End result: chia pet.
  • Knots un-raveling: First, be sure that your knots are coiled tightly. Not so tight that your scalp hurts, but tight enough that your ends are tucked securely near the base of the knot. When in doubt, use a pin to secure your ends. If your knots unravel unbeknownst, in that section your curl will be wonky. End result: chia pet.
So your first set was awful. No sweat. You're totally not alone. Throw it all up and rock a curly bun or tuck it under and work a faux bob. Whatever you do, do not give up!

Besitos!
KLP

22 comments:

  1. Idk KPL. I'll try them next week before vacation. I don't have a holding product, but I'll use what I use for my braid outs and twist outs. Thanks for the tips.

    Notjustmyhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard at chia pet! I reckon because I have SO been there. Knot outs SEEM simple but if a person's not careful it ends up being a hot mess. Great post!

    therandomphoenix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I knew that I wasn't the only one! I love you blog!

      Delete
  3. lol @ chia pet, I have done only one bantu knot-out that I like but felt too self conscious to wear my hair out, smh, my hair rubbing on my shoulders did not sit well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky! No matter how I knot my hair, it never hits my shoulders. Shrinkage is real y'all!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I need to try these again! They always used to go wrong for me but it's likely to be down to the reasons you listed, especially not letting them dry before I take them down x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I like them better than braid-outs. Your braid-outs are to die for!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great knot notes! I've screwed up a few bantu-knot outs myself, and these are def great tips. I think you have given me the courage to revisit this style! lol

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your bko's, KLP! :)
    These are great tips. I haven't tried them yet, but I think I will try it on dry hair when I do. Do you re-knot them to keep the style or do you have another method for making the style last a few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No te preoccupias Andrea. I have another post on my upkeep coming soon!

      Delete
  7. i never get these to come out right,maybe it is the holding product i need. great tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading everyone else's comments makes me feel so much better, I thought I was the only one who just could not get the hang of these! I've attempted them twice and the results were . . . scary to say the least haha. Yours came out really neat & pretty, so maybe I'll give it another shot (:

    - Zauni | thekindside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it another go Zauni. I don't know anyone that got great results on the first try!

      Delete
  9. Bantu Knots are my most-worn protective style. I absolutely love how they look, how easy they are, and how they protect my hair. My only thing I haven't mastered yet is making them last 3/4/5 days. Oh! And I L O V E how you use the world "cocktail".

    XO | KIMBERLYLUXE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly!

      Using a dab of holding product helps my curls last about 3 days. I just cover with a satin bonnet the first night. In the morning, I add a bit of lightweight moisturizer to redefine and refresh the curls. By day 3, I usually work it up into a "curlicious" updo with just the front down in a side swoop.

      I heart your blog btw. I've been following for years!

      Delete
  10. I love your results! You've inspired me to give bantu knots another try because my last set was a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st set disasters seem to be the norm. Just try again!

      Delete
  11. This is my fave style as well. No set is the same, but your chances of getting something good are pretty high.

    lengthylovelylocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Bantu knots allow me to let my hair down without having to spend 2 hours flat ironing!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!