Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Healthy Hair Insight: To Trim Or Not To Trim

To trim or not to trim
April 2011
Before Cut March 2013

After Cut March 2013
I've struggled repeatedly (at least 2-3 times a year---every year) with whether or not I should trim or let my uneven ends grow out. I do believe that some individual hairs grow faster than others and that unevenness isn't necessarily attributed to breakage. I also believe that regular micro trimming keeps split ends at bay by preventing the split damage from going up the hair shaft.

I'm a cheerleader for health over length. I understand that there is no sense in holding on to raggedy ends make the hair appear longer; but how can you tell if your ends look scraggly because of the pace that your hair grows or because you're having a setback, if you trim as soon as a hair in your hemline is out of place?


Thus far along this journey, I've opted to trim as soon as a hair is out of place. I cut over 6 inches of my hair last year at random times so I vowed to keep the scissors hidden this year. Now, I micro-trim after each relaxer touch up about every 12-16 weeks. After my first touch up of 2013, I trimmed. Probably a bit too much; My ends didn't really need it and I'm wondering if it would do me more justice to just protect, baby, protect, then trim at the end of year. Decisions. Decisions. What's a girl who loves blunt ends to do?


Besitos!

KLP

16 comments:

  1. I trim/dust my ends every 4 months and so far that has really been working for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every 3-4 months is what I committed too; I tend to find myself trimming a little more off than I probably need. How can I control my snip snip instinct?!? Ha-ha!

      Delete
  2. I try to do a major trim and make the ends blunt once a year and let it grow for the rest of the year. Looking forward to my professional trim next relaxer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what I have always done is trim 1-2 times a year, and dust or search & destroy whenever I see splits accumulating. my hair would usually look blunt for half a year and uneven (not meaning string) for the rest. the thing is, when growing out your hair it's impossible to look perfect all the time, you just don't want it to get stringy looking.

    right now however, as I'm sure you know, my ends are too stringy for my liking and so I'm waiting for them to grow in before growing out my hair again. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I could discipline myself to keep the scissors down and just trim once or twice a year.

      Delete
  4. Lol you already know my philosophy, trim and cut more than I need to. However, I am going to work on minimizing the amount I take off. I'd say the last year I've taken off over 6 inches (one time I cut 3 inches off). I search and destroy religiously. Looking at it now, I believe I'm scissor-happy. One reason why I wouldn't let a stylist cut my hair, smh. I'm going to try not to cut/trim till 2014.

    notjustmyhair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment inspired me to include a pic from April 2011. Girl---my hair was the same length that it is now. I've seriously gotta put the scissors down. Maybe I need to outsource my trimming to a trusted bestie.

      Delete
  5. I used to do minor trims, mostly relying on dusting and the search & destroy method. Now I do bigger trims, though I haven't chopped off anything dramatic in a while x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that my first snip is a true trim, then all of the subsequent snips are chops. Hide the scissors from me!

      Delete
  6. I am all about dusting 1/2 inch each relaxer, I don't like getting discouraged so dusting for now, and when its longer I will cut slightly more!

    6 inches in a year, that is like the whole year's growth :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a whole year's growth. I've been in BSL limbo for a while now. I think that I've been chopping at my bone straight ends and then wondering why I haven't seen much length progress. In good news: My hair is definitely thicker and fuller now than it was 2 years ago.

      Delete
  7. I just dust my ends every four months sometimes sooner so that I don't need a major trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the logic that I try to use. I think that I just get snip snip happy.

      Delete
  8. Haha you sound scissor happy! Do you have layers? I find I cut less length overall if I do sections and trim/dust my layers. If you have face framing layers, for example you can cut 1 inch off the front and half an inch off the back. That way you've satisfied your need for trimming without sacrificing a lot of length. Good luck!

    www.neishajo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Neisha--thanks for stopping by!

      *shame face* I'm totally scissor happy. But I'm proud to report that I haven't snipped my ends since March.

      I had layers many moons ago. Now I'm all about getting and maintaining a perfectly blunt "U" shaped cut.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!