Friday, July 12, 2013

Healthy Hair Insight: The Rhyme Behind the Reason

Self-relaxing isn't for the faint at heart. One wrong move can take years to recoup from. I've self-relaxed for a few years now and my relaxer days are long and tedious but there is a definitely a method to the madness.

To me, tex-laxing isn't a product; It's a technique. Some ladies cover their hair in oils, others use milder strength relaxers, while a few, mix conditioners to intentionally under-process their relaxers. I simply don't smooth the relaxing cream with a comb to achieve my tex-laxed results.

I relax in two halves at 12-16 weeks, which usually requires two relaxer kits and double jumping in and out of the shower. I first discovered this process from fellow blogger Ms. Kibbi of www.kibibihair.com. Here's how I tex-lax:

Prep- To strengthen my strands, I like to reinforce my strands with a protein treatment the wash before my relaxer day. My favorite protein treatment is Nexxus Emergencee

Protect Products
Protect- I first section my hair into four quads. Then I take each quad and split into 1" sections, detangling as I work. Next, I base my scalp with JBCO (and after my recent experience Vaseline) then lightly cover my previously relaxed ends with Roux Porosity Control Conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion, and Joico Moisture Recovery to protect from relaxer runoff. Lastly, I double strand twist each section, starting the twist at the line of demarcation, so that I know where to apply the relaxer. The only part of my hair that's "naked" are my roots. I cover the front two quads with a shower cap for each side then 2 more covering both sides to keep it from getting relaxer or water on it while I work on my front half. 

Apply Products/Tools
Apply- I started my application process on the front quads using a (green) Sprush. Because I know exactly where to apply the relaxer and I only apply the relaxer to my unprocessed roots, the fear of overlapping the relaxer is minimal. Once I apply the relaxer, I smooth with my fingers. Application and smoothing takes about 6 minutes for the front and 9 for the back.





Fortify Products
Fortify- Next, I thoroughly rinse removing the top plastic cap because it usually has relaxer on it. Then I massage a mid-relaxer strengthening treatment into my strands. My favorite is Nexxus Keraphix. I let it sit for 1-2 minutes then rinse again.










Neutralize Products
Neutralize- After rinsing the protein conditioner, I neutralize 3 lathers with a neutralizing shampoo plus a 5 minute ACV rinse just to be ensure that the relaxer has been rinsed away and the chemical process has been stopped. My ACV to water ratio is 1:3.








Remove- Until my most recent relaxer touch-up, I've used a no-lye box kit. Commonly after the relaxer service, you can loose a little shine and luster. This might be because of the dulling mineral deposits in most no-lye relaxer kits. To prevent this, I shampoo with a chelating poo. such as Kenra Chelating. For my lye touch-up, I followed with Roux PC Shampoo to balance my hair because I didn't know how my hair would react to the ORS. Then I did my usual green tea rinse and smoothing treatment


Restore- Every relaxer touch up ends with an extreme deep condition. I apply vitamin e oil to my scalp, to soothe possible irritation, KeraCare Humecto on the length of my hair and massaged argan oil throughout. I covered with a plastic cap then condition with my heat cap for at least an hour.  








After relaxing the front half, I cover with conditioner and plastic caps then relax the back. The process from beginning to end takes about 4 hours. 


Whew. That's a lot right? 

What's your secret to self-relaxing?

Besitos!

KLP 

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear about your self relaxing process. I'll be starting to self-relax in a few months so I am looking for all advice on each person's process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that its useful. Don't forget to TRIPLE BASE your scalp! I totally learned the hard way.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your process I'm looking for guidance where this section of my haircare is concerned. If you don't mind my asking,how do you effectively preventing the scalp area close to the back area from getting wet while rinsing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question.

      Short answer: cover with a billion plastic caps and lean forward.

      Long Answer: First, when placing the clips I get as close as possible to my part. Then I line clips around the perimeter of each section. I wrap one plastic cap around each "clip perimeter" section. Then 3 more to cover both sections. When I'm about to wash out, I literally face the shower spout and lean forward to rinse the relaxer out. I take off one of the caps. Usually, the top cap gets relaxer on it. I neutralize with shampoo. Before my last neutralizing with ACV, I remove another plastic cap just to be sure that there's no more relaxer in my hair.

      I hope that this helps!

      Delete
  3. hmm... if I decide to home Japanese straighten again I think I'm going to try to use the double method instead of having two people work on my head. thanks for sharing!

    http://pocahontas-secrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so intrigued by japanese straighten but the thought of starting over on my hhj scares me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!