Friday, March 21, 2014

Protein Powered Spring Dinner | Fitness Friday



I'm a cardio queen. Spin, kickboxing, Zumba, running. You name it, I'm about it. Cardio burns tons of calories, but I really want to tone up my body. I've changed up my workouts to include weights. Now it's time to work more protein into my diet. After all, protein builds your muscles... and your hair.  It's #FitnessFriday *throws confetti* and of course I'm linking up with the awesome Ebony of Longing4Length, and fiercely fabulous Britt of One&20, to share a protein powered grilled Spring meal. 

Mesquite Grilled Steak with Sauteed Kale and Lentils

Flank Steak- lean protein
Our hair is made almost entirely of protein. Eating protein feeds your muscles and your hair zinc, iron, and B vitamins to keep your strands strong.

Kale- Dark Leafy Vegetables Super size your green leafy veggies, not your fries. Research has shown that low iron levels play a role in hair loss. Eating dark leafy veggies is one way to increase your iron levels, keep your body feeling energized and your hair follicles healthy.


Spicy seasoning- Flavor without the calories
Mesquite seasoning is delicious, flavorful, and NO calories. You can pick up a pre made blend or make your own. Here's my recipe:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
Combine everything in  coffee grinder and store in a mason jar.

Lentils- Fiber filler
Protein packed, heart healthy, and chocked full o fiber. Lentils are so super easy to cook and are perfect with nearly any dish. To cook, boil in salted water for 15-20 minutes and drain. Add them to a salad, soup, or saute and your body will thank you!

Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, and Britt of One&20

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, One&20, and RelaxedHairHealth via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.


Besitos!
KLP





21 comments:

  1. I am literally mouth watering right now, I need me some that food. I have started using Kale this year and I am beating myself up as to why I never discovered it before. It's super cheap and goes with everything!!! Love love it. Thanks for a great post KLP

    My Recent post - http://www.myeverydaytreats.co.uk/2014/03/progress-pictures-fitness-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat kale with EVERYTHING. It's so good, super filling, and even better for you! I'm sure that I'll be a kale lover for life! Have you tried kale chips? I'm looking for a good recipe for them.

      Delete
    2. Yeah me too, I am going to be eating it for life. Yes I have tried Kale chips but I haven't perfected a really good batch yet.

      Delete
    3. When you find a killer recipe can you share? XOXO!

      Delete
  2. Wow the meal looks very tasty KLP! Thank goodness I already eat plenty of dark leafy veggies:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Eating well for your body AND your hair! #woot!

      Delete
  3. Wow that looks so yummy! If I had food that looked like that I would definitely love eating health!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Trust me Yvonne, this recipe is soooo easy---even a man do it! Ha-ha!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great recipe! I host a Fitness Friday linky along with some other great health bloggers over on my site. I invite you and everyone participating in your linky to link up at The Healthy Moms Magazine and post my button on your site too. Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Cascia! What an awesome linkup!

      Delete
  5. Yum!! This looks really good, girl! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh---it was sooo good. My hubby did a fantastic job cooking it on the grill.

      Delete
  6. Yummers!!! Looks delish!!!I'm trying to eat only lean meats, but this is tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chica! Swap the flank steak for chicken or fish. It will be just as great! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love meat so this is yummy and down my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's simple too! The actual cooking time on this recipe is 30 minutes or less. I hope that you try it!

      Delete
  8. this actually looks so good... something i may actually try :) finally a healthy meal post that isn't vegan lol

    www.futurelawyergirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want my diet to be better, certainly, but some days that just isn't achievable. The supplements helps pick up the slack. And moreover mine exactly taste like a milk shake.
    preworkout

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!