Friday, March 07, 2014

Breakfast Protein Smoothie | Fitness Friday


My diet kinda sucks. I'd rather sweat like a sinner in church at the gym than deny myself chocolate cake. #dontjudgeme So lately, I've been focusing on getting more good stuff into my body in hopes of being too full to eat the bad stuff; starting with breakfast. Studies have shown that protein-rich breakfasts can help regulate your appetite all day. Exactly what this sweet toothed chica needs! Today, I'm linking up with the awesome Ebony of Longing4Length, fiercely fabulous Britt of One&20, and stunning Nadege of RelaxedHairHealth to share favorite breakfast protein powered smoothie.
 

Why breakfast?
After fasting all night, your body is running on fumes. High protein foods take longer to digest, you feel full sooner and for longer periods of time.

Why Greek yogurt?
Not all proteins have enough of the right stuff to build lean muscle, but low-fat dairy like Greek yogurt is loaded with protein and skimpy on fat.

Why Flax seed?
Fiber, fiber, fiber! Most women don't get enough to begin with---plus it keeps you feeling full longer. Just be careful not to eat too much. Think bloating. Gross!

High protein foods are definitely higher in calories, but they'll help you gain more muscle. It's still a win/win in my book. Plus, let's not forget that our hair is made almost entirely of protein. Cheers to swapping chocolate cake for a protein shake!


Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, Britt of One&20, and Nadege of RelaxedHairHealth.

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, One&20, and RelaxedHairHealth via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.


Besitos!
KLP





10 comments:

  1. Great recipe, I love smoothies although with the cold weather I've been avoiding them. Question: do you know about how many total calories you consume per day? I saw this recipe is around 450 so I was just wondering what the rest of your diet typically looks like. Teach me oh sensei! (I had to look up how to spell that word...who knew?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sensei? Girl please!!!! Not me at ALL! The struggle to divorce my sweet tooth is REAL!

      I do however, try to stick to three 500 calorie meals a day. In this recipe---it's the peanut butter that balloons the calories. If you ditch it, you'll save 190 calories but loose 7grams of protein.

      At lunch, I eat eggs. Scramble em, fry em, boil em---I really don't care. Maybe next week I'll share my Scrambled Eggsadilla recipe. Think scrambled eggs, whole-wheat tortilla, and salsa. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

      For dinner, I'm eating a salad of sauteed kale or spinach with whatever meat that I cooked for my family. An example is my (panera knock-off) Chicken and Baby Portabello Mushroom Spinach Salad.

      I hope that this helps doll! I'm totally the ANTI-expert when it comes to eating well.

      Delete
  2. Just picked up some Chobani!! How can I lower the sugar on that smoothie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my some Chobani! Don't you just love the sayings that they have on the lid?

      If you skip the blueberries you'll save 10grams of sugar and 25 calories. Then if you go with a regular Chobani plain (no fruit on the bottom) you'll save 3 more grams of sugar, 10 calories, plus get yourself 2 more grams of protein.

      For the recipe in the pic, I used Chobani Simply 100 Blueberry---It just what I had in the fridge.

      Enjoy chica!

      Delete
  3. This juice looks delicious, dear! I am glad to be part of this because it is helping me stay on track. I exercised while watching SCANDAL this morning. You are keeping me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way Nerline. Since this linkup started I've lost 4 lbs! It's not a ton of weight but its a start! Thank you for your support chica!

      Delete
  4. Yummy girl!
    And congrats on those 4 lbs girl!!! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt! A pound a week was what I was aiming for! I just need to get better with my eating habits.

      Delete
  5. That looks soooooooooo good! Your post is right on time!

    I definitely have to get some more protein in my diet! I was thinking about doing protein smoothies, but I have a dairy intolerance and my chiropractor said that whey protein has dairy in it! That is no bueno! I will have to find some that is dairy free.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditch the greek yogurt for almond milk---totally dairy free---and a frozen banana. Boom! I never realized how versatile this recipe was until today!

      Thanks for stopping by doll!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!