Friday, May 02, 2014

How I Stay Fit & Active With Asthma


When I was in middle school, I had an asthma attack in PE class while we were running the mile. I couldn't breathe. My chest was tight. I was wheezing. It was one of the scariest things that have ever happened to me as a kid. After that, I was afraid of running. I just never wanted to feel that way again. It took me years to understand how to manage my asthma with the help of my doctor. And now when I run, I'm stomping on my can'ts, won'ts, and didn't-think-I-coulds with every step. It's Fitness Friday and here's how I stay fit and active...even with asthma.

Consult your doctor. 
I'm not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination. I know, shocker! When I was first thinking about doing a 5k, I had a good talk with my doctor about the best course of action for managing my asthma. It took several appointments before we found what worked. My doctor encouraged me to write down when and how  Explain all of your symptoms and work together to figure out what your triggers are. Mine are dust and pollen. Yuck! Together, you and your doctor can come up with a game plan for what to do in case you feeling distress.

Always carry your fast acting inhaler. 
When I was a kid, I despised my inhaler. I was already a geek, snorted when I laughed and had an very uncool love of Shakespeare. The last thing that I needed was to carry an inhaler too! Ha-ha! But it's so ever important that you have your inhaler and spacer with you at all times; especially during exercise. My favorite running pants have this nifty mini pocket on the back with a zipper and my inhaler fits perfectly inside.

Share your story with your gym buddies and instructors.
Make sure that your gym buddy and especially your instructors know that you have asthma. I know that you don't want everyone up in your business but they need to how to assist you in case of an emergency. Share the game plan that you came up with your doctor with them. Knowing what to do quickly could be lifesaving.

Listen to your body. 
Start slowly. Focus on your breathing. If you find yourself struggling, just stop. I know that you want to push yourself, but you have to listen to your body. As I've exercised regularly, my body has started to adjust to the physical activity but that doesn't mean that I don't have asthma symptoms from time to time, especially since it's Spring and the pollen high is a million! Instead of fighting with the pollen, I choose to workout indoors. 

If you have asthma, how to do keep active?

Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, and Britt of One&20

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, and One&20 via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.


Besitos!
KLP





17 comments:

  1. I don't have asthma, but both of my kids do. I had to drive my daughter to the nearest Urgent Care two Fridays ago. You are right; the pollens make this situation worse. These are some great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nerline I've been trying to comment on your posts but I cant se a link to add my comment. Great post on that coffe post. I loves me my coffee honey!

      Delete
    2. @Nerline: Pollen is the devil! Ha-ha! My daughter has asthma too. There is nothing worse than watching, seemingly helplessly, while your child struggles to breath. *Shudders* Thankfully because I had my own battle with asthma, I can teach her from a young age how to control it.

      Thanks for sharing your story chica!

      Delete
  2. My daughter goes thorugh a sneezing and coughing fit EVERY time she runs or jumps or does anything active. Am telling you uncontrollable for approx. 5-10 mins. Her PED says they dont test for asthma until the age of 4. I pray to God that she's not asthmatic bc she LOVES being active

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little lady has asthma but she's super active. Because her asthma is pollen induced we've been able to keep it well controlled with allergy meds. Having asthma definitely doesn't have to keep her still---marathon-world-record holder Paula Radcliffe of Great Britain was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma at 14 and shes a BEAST now!

      Delete
  3. It's very admirable to hear you don't let having asthma stop you. Pollen and dust are the enemy for my mother as well her face get all swollen if pollen even thinks about looking at her lol. Great post and wonderful tips=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've said it a million times---Pollen is the devil! Ha-ha! But the flowers are soooo pretty!

      Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  4. I love that you don't let your asthma stop you from doing things that you love! Way to go KLP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Harlem shakes* "Can't no body hold me down" *in my best Diddy voice* LOL!

      Thanks for the encouragement Lydz!

      Delete
  5. I had / have asthma and led a very active life with athletics and such. You provided some great tips. My dr. recently forced me to carry an inhaler although I no longer have attacks. She said once an asthmatic, always an asthmatic and I should have an inhaler with me at all times.
    Divachyk | Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart dr! It's better to be safe than to be sorry right?

      Delete
  6. I don't have asthma but I truly admire your commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great, KLP! I struggled with asthma a lot growing up, too. Listening to my body is definitely the most important for me. I always want to push a little harder and have to say just stop! Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The superwoman in us wants to push harder but it's definitely smarter to put in work gradually. When I first started getting fit---I could workout for 10-15 minutes and be winded. *cringes* I don't want to go back to those days!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!