Friday, January 10, 2014

How To Grow Out Your Bangs

The Evolution of My Bangs


Believe it or not, but I've never intentionally wanted bangs. Never not ever. But until recently, I've always had them. Why? I used to be a heat loving, don't even know what a deep conditioner is, hair abuser. The front of my hair was flat ironed at least once a day and sometimes two or three times depending on where I was going. I didn't even care that it seemed like my hair wasn't growing, all I cared about was that my hair was sleek and smooth. Then in 2012, I committed to growing out the crown of my hair. Today, my bangs are the longest they've ever been, inching towards shoulder length. Here's how I did it:

Protective Styling:
Shh! I have a secret: I have a thing for keeping my hair tucked up and away! Okay---that's a not so secret. I kinda talk about it a lot. I started protective styling when my son was born. The day that he was born, one of the very first things that he did was grab at my hair. I knew that was the beginning of the end if I didn't change my hair styling ways. Ha-ha! After 2-3 months of buns and updos (aka the inspiration behind The Bun Effect), I started to notice an immediate increase in the length of my bangs. Once I stopping fiddling with my bangs, I started retaining length.

Extreme Deep Conditioning:
I feel like the front of my hair is more exposed to the elements and manipulation than the back. So I take care to amp up the moisture by extreme deep conditioning. Extreme Deep conditioning layers an oil over the conditioner. Then cover with a plastic cap and warm under indirect heat for at least 30 minutes before rinsing with cool water. Dry hair is more susceptible to breakage and deep conditioning can help quench the thirst. Don't forget to keep a little protein in your hair care regimen. Here's how I use it to maximize my length retention.

Apply Your Products Thoroughly: 
When applying products, especially leave ins, start from the bottom and work your way up. Yes, your roots need moisture, but so do your ends. I noticed that when I start product application from the bottom, I'm more likely to apply evenly. For sealing (when I air dry), I go a heavier on the oil or butter on my ends to add an extra layer of protection.

There you have it, three super easy ways to retain length in your bangs. Any other tips to growing out your bangs?

Besitos!
KLP

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I need to do my updated post on growing my bangs out as well. It has always been a difficult area for me to maintain length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I'd love to read about your progress and what you're doing to grow them out!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for thus posts, I still have bangs not by choice, I will definitely look to growing them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with a blunt trim of my bangs then protective styled my heart out!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I'm growing out my bangs as well but I am starting to miss them.
    These tips were amazing, but the most important step of all is to lay off the flat iron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! That flat iron is your worse enemy if you are trying to grow them out!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!