Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mini Wash Day

Mini washing is simply a glorified co-wash. I usually rinse my hair with oil or just water, skip the shampooing, and go straight into my deep conditioning routine. No jumping in and out of the shower 20 million times to get my hair adequately clean and re-hydrated. Here's what I used to wash my hair this week:
  1. Detangled- with my fingers and a ton of extra virgin coconut oil and applied JBCO to my scalp
  2. Extreme deep condition- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the oil completely. Then I applied Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm to my roots and Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Mask the length of my hair. Next, I massaged extra virgin coconut oil throughout, covered with a plastic cap and sat under my heat cap for 2 hours and left it in overnight.
  3. Camomile Aloe Tea Rinse- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied 1 part steeped camomile tea and 1 part aloe vera gel, using a narrow tip applicator to my strands--focusing on the roots. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed.
  4. Smoothing Treatment- I rinsed the conditioner then let a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution marinate on my hair for about 5 minutes. 
  5. Air Dried- to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  6. Leave ins- Applying the LOC(B) method, to seal in the moisture (L) into my strands, I used extra virgin coconut oil (O), then Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner (C), and my kitchenista Tangerine Vanilla Whipped Hair Butter (B)as my leave ins I "faux" banded my hair to stretch roots. 

The Results:
I used Aloe Vera Gel instead of Aloe Vera Juice this week in my tea rinse because...well...I was out. Ha-ha! You gotta make due with what you have. I really enjoyed this switch though. The hot steeped camomile tea "melted" the gel after I shook everything together, but as the mixture cooled, it created this really neat gel-like consistency that was super easy to apply to my roots. Plus instead of dripping all over the place, my tea rinse stayed put. 



For the first time in what seems like forever, I pulled my hair into a high bun thanks to a little Chi Twisted Fabric. I don't know how I feel about this product---I definitely think that it would be better suited for straightened hair, but it worked relatively well. 

How was your wash day? Using something new? Share with us below!

Besitos!

KLP





16 comments:

  1. A mini wash sounds great. I never thought of that! And you were so right about this brand of coconut oil. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair doesn't seem to care for frequent shampooing. I'm trying to use mini washing as a cure for it. Spectrum EVCO is a beast!

      Delete
  2. you really look so beautiful with your cute smile.
    i love the LOC method.

    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Uchenna. I always smile in pictures. My family calls me a ham!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Tomi. I've just been getting more sleep and I'm back at work in the gym.

      Delete
  4. Your hair's dislike for shampoo has me thinking I'm going to start experimenting with "co-washing" again. It didn't seem like it made much of a difference for me before, but it might now with this weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it, let me know. I'd love to see if ditching shampoo helps your hair!

      Delete
  5. Your skin is awesome! Whats your skin care routine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. I don't really have a "strict routine" or regimen. I think that my skin is looking better because I've been drinking more water, getting more sleep and I'm back in my gym routine.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your hair had a spa day with that overnight DC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always learn something new from your wash days. I will try the Aloe Vera gel in the tea rinse. and your face looks amazing.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evalyne! Using aloe vera gel wasn't intentionally, but I'm really glad that I did it. It was definitely less messy and made application a lot easier.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!